SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   1000RR front end on-bike TRANSFORMED! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/1000rr-front-end-bike-transformed-23068/)

smokinjoe73 07-04-2010 12:33 AM

1000RR front end on-bike TRANSFORMED!

So I am on the road with the 1000RR front end. I did it with the RR triples & it only required a tiny bit of cut on the lower part of the fairing, none on the upper. The brakes are rediculous; one finger from any speed. On my normal ride to work I cant figure where all the bumps went. I have the spring preload at almost none & just tweaked the damping. The bike turns like it knows my thoughts. Doesnt fall into the turn like it used to. Rock solid motogp handling. As good as any of my 3 racebikes. My other hawk has racetech & this buries it. I cant figure out how I am even writing this because I dont want to get off the bike........... I used 3" rise bars that I found on ebay by just searching "50mm bars" for $25!!! God really wanted me to have this project work. I used to want a ducati but not anymore; this is it. Pics to come

Karbon 07-04-2010 02:55 AM

awesome!

please do a full descrip. of what you did and components thanks!

2Smoker 07-04-2010 08:33 AM

so you like it then?

hehe....

smokinjoe73 07-04-2010 09:35 AM

Ya think?

8541Hawk 07-04-2010 11:50 AM

Swapping the front end does do wonders for the bike. Have you braced the swingarm yet? If not, you should really put it on your list of things to do as it brings the rear up to par with the front. ;)

smokinjoe73 07-04-2010 09:30 PM

Acually hadn't thought of or planned that but I did get a penske shock. I am still dialing in the whole thing. I have been riding it to work so I had to rig luggage on it. Instead of the whole givi rack like my other bike I just bolted a givi plate onto the passenger seat. I also have to do the TPS mod since someone "tuned" this bike I just got for all top end & no off idle torque. Guess they wanted a 600 but I want my bottom end...

Red_Liner740 07-04-2010 10:08 PM

aaagh dont tell me this! i got an entire GSXR1000 front end in my shed while i debate to put it on or just sell it. i have an F4i front end on it, but i'm not satisfied....thing is, how much better can the front get with the rear staying stock? hard decision this...

especially since g/f's sv650 already has a gsxr600 front end on it and i absolutely LOVE the brakes on that thing....LOVE!

smokinjoe73 07-06-2010 10:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So here is the bike so far. Great handling, comfortable position. Had to carry stuff to work so I bolted a GIVI baseplate onto an extra seat I had. This bike now handles like my SV650 but less wallowy & tons more rip. SV is still a better race bike but for the street this is great.

8541Hawk 07-06-2010 10:44 PM

Didn't realize you have a VFR swingarm on your bike, so bracing the swingarm is not really applicable in your case.

midwest22 07-06-2010 11:23 PM

I realize this is a subjective question but can you please describe how difficult it was to do this swap? Also, do you have pics of the triple tree? Did you reuse the superhawk key or the CBR?

smokinjoe73 07-06-2010 11:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have to say it being all honda stuff it was pretty easy. I have done alot of head bearings on racebikes over the years so if you do the freezer/ heat method they go on easy (I would recommend tapered rollers even on a stock set-up). I bought the parts over the winter pretty cheap (join a bunch of CBR forums). I assembled the whole front end in my living room, bled the brakes, etc so it was ready to put on. The installation only took an afternoon if you dont count the time spent stripping fairing. Figure a weekend. A bit of time for all the other tweaks like controls. The old ignition just bolts right in. Like I said the turning radius is comprimised in tight walking speed left turns but I have an F4 master on the way. This is the way honda meant to do this bike. I mean it is a SUPERhawk right? How did it loose the single sided swingarm of the hawk & not get USD adjustable forks?

buckets 07-07-2010 12:28 AM

Looking at doing this myself having found a cheap 2007 CBR100RR front end cheap. Is it a problem going for such late model??

RCVTR 07-07-2010 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 272791)
How did it not get USD adjustable forks?

I knew you would eventually see the light.

I believe Honda built the Super Hawk as a cheap testbed for their L-Twin superbike project. I don't think they expected to sell many to sportbike enthusiasts. And equipping it the way they did guaranteed a self-fulfilling prophecy. But it is a lot of fun to build it up to be what it should have been!

seanvtr 07-07-2010 08:58 AM

could you list all the parts you needed for the conversion please, im think along the same route

smokinjoe73 07-07-2010 09:24 AM

Well 1) CBR front end 2) All balls tapered roller bearing set 3) 50mm handlebars with 3" rise. Thats it

Firefly 07-07-2010 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 272817)
Well 1) CBR front end 2) All balls tapered roller bearing set Thats it

For the other streetfighter enthusiasts.
________
N Series Tractors

Tweety 07-07-2010 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by seanvtr (Post 272814)
could you list all the parts you needed for the conversion please, im think along the same route

Or if you don't like the above reply you could use that secret forum function that only us oldtimers know about that lets you find older threads... Specificly those containing titles like "fork swap" or "front end swap" or "CBR fork"...

mikstr 07-07-2010 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 272840)
Or if you don't like the above reply you could use that secret forum function that only us oldtimers know about that lets you find older threads... Specificly those containing titles like "fork swap" or "front end swap" or "CBR fork"...

and what secret function might that be Markus? lol

Tweety 07-07-2010 11:45 AM

What?! You gonna make me say the magic word... Huh?!

8541Hawk 07-07-2010 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 272845)
What?! You gonna make me say the magic word... Huh?!

No just wondering why you are being so nice about it........ it's not like it's all that hard to find the magic button...... ;)

Tweety 07-07-2010 12:23 PM

Um... I just took a nice little ride around the block... 180 miles or so... Not a single straight over half a mile long... One small dip in the ocean, one ice cream, one pizza... Girl on the back... Feeling good... ;)

8541Hawk 07-07-2010 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 272852)
Um... I just took a nice little ride around the block... 180 miles or so... Not a single straight over half a mile long... One small dip in the ocean, one ice cream, one pizza... Girl on the back... Feeling good... ;)

That explains everything......:D