SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   '03 954 front end swap (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/03-954-front-end-swap-22882/)

SledRig 06-13-2010 10:19 AM

'03 954 front end swap

I scored today. I picked up forks, triples, axle, calipers, rotors, clipons, bearings, and fender for $250. This is exciting. The standard forks were the one thing that really "ages" the look of the hawk. When it all gets here, I have to decide if I'm going to do it right away, or wait until summer is over. If all goes well, I may have the old stuff up for sale. Current forks have gold valves, adjustment knobs and a titanium fork brace.

Gilson 06-13-2010 10:37 AM

That's a steal.

"Vulture screech" - I'd be interesed in the fork brace if you would post to the UK....

JamieDaugherty 06-13-2010 11:41 AM

Very nice!!!

lazn 06-13-2010 06:22 PM

Nice! congrats

You didn't mention wheel. What front wheel are you planning on using?

smokinjoe73 06-13-2010 08:16 PM

Wow, way cheap. Put it on now you procrastibator. Its pretty straight forward. While you are at it swap over to All Balls tapered roller bearings. They make a huge difference & are minimal cost. I spent all winter shopping & didnt get such a deal. Good job.

dutchdude 06-27-2010 05:16 PM

Nice score - I would be interested in those forks when your ready to get rid of them.
I might even be able to come get them

zwoehr 06-29-2010 02:17 PM

Great deal!

That's a amazing deal. I just did this swap on my bike and it makes a huge difference. The forks are a big improvement but the brakes are incredible. Your bike will be down for less than a day as long as everything goes smoothly. If you need any help let me know I'm in Seattle (not really that close but still) What wheel are you going to use? Your stock one will not fit.

Seattle_SuperHawk 06-29-2010 02:27 PM

I am also in Seattle. and this upgrade is my next project, as soon as i score a deal. SO zwoehr....... i could use some pointers, hell i will buy the beer.

Syclone 06-29-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 270168)
Wow, way cheap. Put it on now you procrastibator. Its pretty straight forward. While you are at it swap over to All Balls tapered roller bearings. They make a huge difference & are minimal cost.

+1 to All balls. Do it right away too, lookup 8541Hawk's writeup on grinding down the steering stops and the rest is cake. I chose to move my radiators back about 3/4". I scored my setup for about what you did, best investment in the Hawk that I've made.

Don't overlook the wheel though, do you already have a 929/954 wheel?

zwoehr 06-29-2010 05:01 PM

You will need clip-ons too. I used 929 helibars (I think). The stock 929/954 ones will not work and the helis barely work. I had to reroute the throttle cables and rotate them forward so that the brake and clutch handle bolts wouldn't gouge the fairings at full lock. I didn't move the radiators, you only hit the hose when you are parking. Basically grind the lower triple to clear the fairing mount, extend the steering stops (I also didn't do this) , put the new parts on and you are good to go. I used 3 SS washers under the ignition lockset to get the steering lock to work.

Seattle I'd be happy to help when are you thinking about doing your conversion?

Seattle_SuperHawk 06-29-2010 06:50 PM

zwoehr, i will keep you posted.... shopping parts now, So if anyone has or knows a good deal on good parts. PM me. thanks all

8541Hawk 06-29-2010 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Syclone (Post 271876)
lookup 8541Hawk's writeup on grinding down the steering stops and the rest is cake.

or you can just by the spare 954 triple that I have.... ;)

afm528 06-30-2010 01:18 AM

I've been looking but haven't found anyone who has compared a well-tuned stock front end (either RaceTech or one of the gurus here) vs. a similarly well set-up 954 or 1000rr front end swap.

For semi-aggressive street riding, how much better is a full swap than just making the best you can out of the stock externals by adding new springs and valves?

8541Hawk 06-30-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by afm528 (Post 271931)
I've been looking but haven't found anyone who has compared a well-tuned stock front end (either RaceTech or one of the gurus here) vs. a similarly well set-up 954 or 1000rr front end swap.

For semi-aggressive street riding, how much better is a full swap than just making the best you can out of the stock externals by adding new springs and valves?

Well I can come close to what you are asking. I pulled my set of Lindemann tuned (with fork brace) forks and swapped them for a RC51 front end (set up by Dan Kyle). The difference is hard to describe in a few short words. The bike is much more planted in turns and adding a swingarm brace completes the package turning the bike into what it should have been from the factory.

It is well worth the time and effort involved if you ride the bike at a "spirited" pace. ;)

Just_Nick 06-30-2010 12:21 PM

How's chassis flex with that setup Mike?

Tweety 06-30-2010 12:26 PM

I swapped my internals for full RaceTech stuff before going to what I have now... The RaceTech stuff fixed the problems I had with overpowering the front with my weight and riding style, making it nice to ride on a "normal" pace, while stock was downright scary to me... The new fork was just as much better again...

8541Hawk 06-30-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Just_Nick (Post 272001)
How's chassis flex with that setup Mike?

For street riding it is a non-issue. If you were planing on racing it, yes you would still have a few issues with frame flex but at street speeds most of the lateral flex is coming from the swingarm and the 900rr brace takes care of the nicely.

I do plan on adding a brace to the head stock but that is to help with the added braking forces.

zwoehr 06-30-2010 05:34 PM

As far as comparing Race Teched stock parts to the 929 parts, I can't comment. I will say this though, you can get the parts to do the swap relatively cheaply and you will get better forks and way better brakes with them, plus have your stock parts to sell afterward. I hope my swap will end up costing me relatively little in the end.... Plus my forks came with racetech internals anyway :evillaugh: Nowvsomebody buy my stock parts dammit!!!