SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Performance (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/)
-   -   '01 F4i forks? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-performance-29/01-f4i-forks-24877/)

CruxGNZ 03-07-2011 09:22 PM

'01 F4i forks?

I was skimming through Craigslist today and saw these forks. I was wondering if these would be a good upgrade? I tried searching, but didn't come up with much for these forks.

lazn 03-07-2011 09:55 PM

IIRC they are not a good option.

Not upside down, probably too short, and no real added ability over the stock ones.

You'd be better off getting the stock ones resprung, revalved and adding a fork brace. (that or go for USD forks)

Just_Nick 03-07-2011 09:59 PM

Absolutely no advantage. He's getting rid of them for a reason, he probably upgraded.
ZRX forks, which are 43mm standard forks, are better because they are fully adjustable, the zrx comes with larger rotors, and 6-pot calipers. And fork braces are readily available.

CruxGNZ 03-07-2011 10:32 PM

Good to know. Ill steer clear. Thanks guys.

8541Hawk 03-07-2011 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Just_Nick (Post 295005)
Absolutely no advantage.

Well that isn't completely true. They do have external compression adjustment and the length should be real close to the same as a SH.

It is just there are better options to go with if you are looking to upgrade.

lazn 03-08-2011 07:59 AM

Is the length close? I know that 900rr forks are shorter, and that most bikes use shorter forks than the VTR. (thus the RC51 forks being better than 954 forks for USD options) But I didn't know about F4i I just assumed it would be closer to other bikes.

inderocker 03-08-2011 03:01 PM

Yes, it is an upgrade, slightly beefier forks & adjustable compression dampening. It's also been done before...
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=7851

matt365 03-08-2011 03:58 PM

I'm doing the superbike bar mod with F4i forks & triples. The forks are approx. 20mm shorter than the VTR forks, so it seemed a good candidate for the superbike mod, as I won't have the forks sticking too far out the top of the triples.

If the price is right, I think its worth it depending on what you are planning to do with the hawk.

I needed the F4i axle and spacers to use the stock VTR wheel, and I had to shim the calipers a bit, but it's pretty straight forward.

nath981 03-08-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by matt365 (Post 295104)
I'm doing the superbike bar mod with F4i forks & triples. The forks are approx. 20mm shorter than the VTR forks, so it seemed a good candidate for the superbike mod, as I won't have the forks sticking too far out the top of the triples.

If the price is right, I think its worth it depending on what you are planning to do with the hawk.

I needed the F4i axle and spacers to use the stock VTR wheel, and I had to shim the calipers a bit, but it's pretty straight forward.

Should be interesting, and what kind of rear shock do you have?

matt365 03-09-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by nath981 (Post 295109)
Should be interesting, and what kind of rear shock do you have?

It's got an Ohlins shock on it.

I've read about differences in the geometry of the F4i triples compared to the VTR, but they seem identical to me. The F4i triples are slightly wider than the VTR, so that might make up a bit of trail, but I'd think it'd be minimal. If I notice any handling issues, I'd just drop the forks slightly, or shim the rear.

nath981 03-09-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by matt365 (Post 295223)
It's got an Ohlins shock on it.

I've read about differences in the geometry of the F4i triples compared to the VTR, but they seem identical to me. The F4i triples are slightly wider than the VTR, so that might make up a bit of trail, but I'd think it'd be minimal. If I notice any handling issues, I'd just drop the forks slightly, or shim the rear.

Yeah, that would work. I thought the Ohlins could be adjusted for ride height, but maybe that's not possible with your model?

Anyway, if not, you can use what they call C-washers or fender washers(large washers with slots in them, look kinda like a C) so you can slide a couple under the top shock mount. Mine were 1.5mm thick so 3 or 4 will get you to 4.5 to 6mm. There's pics on here if you search rear shock shims.

sounds like a winner. Keep us posted.