SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   VFR Fairings (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/vfr-fairings-29835/)

That One Guy 02-13-2013 07:12 PM

VFR Fairings

So I have searched the forum and haven’t seen anything about VFR fairing swaps. Has anyone tried this? I like the front nose, but the side fairings seem a little bulky and thick. Opinions?

NHSH 02-13-2013 07:46 PM

Thick, is right. you can probably modify it to be thinner... the mounts and the front fairing stay for the dual head light going to be completely different, but noting is impossible. Fairing are only cosmetics, if you like the VFR, I'm all for a new experiment. I guess best part will be the additional light ;)

That One Guy 02-13-2013 07:59 PM

I like the way they look. Somewhat similar shape as the vtr. Fills it out more, but they are so damn thick. I’ve seen the rc51 swaps, which I really like, and some other crazy cool shiz on here. I’ve done quite a bit of reading before asking any questions. Read all about the Mario Nava custom fairings (even sent him an email), most wheels that are interchangeable, blah blah cosmetic modifications. I do have a serious question as far as the passenger, though. I haven’t read anywhere about someone installing some grips or some sort of bar for the passenger to grab. Seems with the way the seat is set up, if I hit the brakes with any amount of force at all, the passenger is pushing my balls into the gas tank (I’m sure you have all experienced this extremely uncomfortable situation). Has anyone done a modification for this? If so, post up some pictures. I’m trying to get some ideas.

NHSH 02-13-2013 08:12 PM

This one may interest you, but there are few other design mounts The Motorcycle Tank Handlebar Handle Grip

Sense you already looking at the VFR fairings, you may as well look into another great mod, the VFR tank https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...rogress-18222/

NHSH 02-13-2013 08:18 PM

Here is one I really like Vinxxgrip

smokinjoe73 02-13-2013 09:29 PM

Those handles are awesome, I want one. I picture the vinx one would have the passenger back-seat steering for turns.

You can also get this grippy seat cover. Triboseat non slip passenger seat cover
Keeps my wife from sliding around. Its basicly real tuff shelf liner type stuff but reinforced. I acually used some shelf liner on my part of the seat but it wears out quick.

That One Guy 02-13-2013 09:36 PM

Digging the tank mod. Not so huge on the tank grips, but it looks rather useful. I was thinking about something a little more like what the suzuki katana or busa. Maybe some side handles. the tank handles aren’t that sensible for low speed cruising. haha

That One Guy 02-13-2013 09:43 PM

I really like the grips on the VFR, too.

smokinjoe73 02-13-2013 09:50 PM

Back in the day the cbr600 came with a grab bar from europe but not the US. I had one made for mine by a welder. I thing your issue will be where & how to anchor them and cutting the fairing without destroying it.

That One Guy 02-13-2013 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 349318)
Back in the day the cbr600 came with a grab bar from europe but not the US. I had one made for mine by a welder. I thing your issue will be where & how to anchor them and cutting the fairing without destroying it.

That’s what I was afraid of. I’m handy with fiberglass, but not so much with welding. I’ll look into it with a friend of mine on the welding. Pics to come, once I get it figured out and installed. Working on some custom pieces right now to compliment the stock fairings and fill some of the gaps and extreme lines in the side fairings. Those are in progress. Will post some pics when that is finished as well.

smokinjoe73 02-14-2013 07:01 AM

I am sure you could just bolt to the subframe. That would limit the messy work to the metal shop. The way I did it was to build a mock-up out of coathanger or pvc, then have them weld the real one.

I say bolt to the subframe cuz thats how my entire givi 3 case wingrack is on and it also is a backrest for my wife. Its sturdy enought to carry over 100lbs.