Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Little thing lost better thing made

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Little thing lost better thing made

Don’t you hate it when you drop a fastener, bushing, socket or what ever and it teleports to another demension....
you know it’s there on the floor someplace but....

I dropped one of the instrument cluster steel bushings it played pachinko as it fell through the faring hit the ground and went to another dimension

Spent 15 minutes on my hands and knees looking for it.
glanced up saw a piece of three-quarter inch round aluminum stock next to the lathe and figured spend another 3 hours looking for it or spend 30 minutes making new bushings well that was an easy decision .

But wait you say, all three steel bushings are there in the picture?
Why yes they are because of course after I had the 1st aluminum one made and I went over to test fit it I kicked the missing steel bushing across the floor.
No idea how it got there or how I missed seeing it....

Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Yes, that's one way to locate a missing part, simply obtain a replacement and, poof, the missing part will appear.

Of course, the other avenue you could have pursued would have been dropping one of the two remaining bushings while watching where it landed.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 02-05-2019 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Of course, the other avenue you could have pursued would have been dropping one of the two remaining bushings while watching were it landed.
Have you ever played a pachinko ? By design the ball (part) does not end up in the same place twice.

A true tech, when a small tool ro part is dropped, frezes, closes their eyes and listens intention for clues Did it hit metal? was there a thud like it hit carpet or wood, wait...did it hit metal twice, damn a ricochet.....lol and worse of all........... it never makes it to the ground.......its someplace deep in the bike...crap, valve covers are off....
Old 02-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
Laughing my *** off! At my age I can drop and lose almost anything. No matter size or composition. I too have attempted to locate items by the sound of what it hit as it passed into the other dimension. So far about 99% failure rate. If I ever empty and move my shop I'll probably be able to build a complete parts bin bike!
My son said if they locked me in an empty Swiss vault, naked, with my keys and came back an hour later, they would be missing!