SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   repost: front turn sig mod (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/repost-front-turn-sig-mod-31287/)

jerryh 10-20-2013 12:17 PM

repost: front turn sig mod

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 23162
Thought this might help keep someone safe so I reposted.

White runners (LED 12" strips) Amber turns. White goes out on the side the turn is activated. Cost $40, much easier than adding LEDs to mirrors and helps with visability

KCCO 10-20-2013 01:02 PM

Do you have a link to the strips you used?

jerryh 10-20-2013 02:41 PM

Got em at walmart. $18 a pair and surprisingly bright. Small bead of 100% silicone per strip and painters tape to hold em on til they dry. I used a hair dryer.

RobertLever 10-20-2013 03:36 PM

Those look great Jerry!

jerryh 10-20-2013 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by RobertLever (Post 364230)
Those look great Jerry!

Thanks!

CrankenFine 10-21-2013 12:20 PM

This mod has the added advantage of "reminding" the rider to consistently kill turnsignals after every turn since they're so close to normal field of view. I am embarassed at the number of times I find my signals on a a half mile after a turn...I might do this mod for that reason alone.

VTArrrgh! 10-21-2013 02:06 PM

Very cool! Is your screen tinted or is this the stock, clear screen?

I'd need a new screen, either way, as the previous owner painted mine black. At least he was smart enough to paint the INSIDE of the screen! Although, he didn't wash it first...

skokievtr 10-21-2013 02:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jerryh (Post 364225)
Got em at walmart. $18 a pair and surprisingly bright. Small bead of 100% silicone per strip and painters tape to hold em on til they dry. I used a hair dryer.

A part # would be helpful, online or instore? Nice idea but it may be distracting to me...and cause glare on the face shield?

I cut in half an 18" peel'n stick strip of these and adhered top n bottom on a license plate surround I putty'd & painted to create an auxilary brake light (see pics; note chin fairing off for cleaning).

Skinny'z LEDs | Fastlights LEDs

jerryh 10-21-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by VTArrrgh! (Post 364290)
Very cool! Is your screen tinted or is this the stock, clear screen?

I'd need a new screen, either way, as the previous owner painted mine black. At least he was smart enough to paint the INSIDE of the screen! Although, he didn't wash it first...

Mine is tinted, that's why the white leds look blueish. The end of the led strip, where the wires exit, terminates just behind the gauges. You won't see the wires. Glad you like the idea

jerryh 10-21-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 364284)
This mod has the added advantage of "reminding" the rider to consistently kill turnsignals after every turn since they're so close to normal field of view. I am embarassed at the number of times I find my signals on a a half mile after a turn...I might do this mod for that reason alone.

Hell of a good point. It helps big time!

jerryh 10-21-2013 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 364292)
A part # would be helpful, online or instore? Bought instore. Nice idea but it may be distracting to me...and cause glare on the face shield?

I don't see glare and it doesn't bother me. I like what you did.

I cut in half an 18" peel'n stick strip of these and adhered top n bottom on a license plate surround I putty'd & painted to create an auxilary brake light (see pics; note chin fairing off for cleaning).

Skinny'z LEDs |
Fastlights LEDs

Hey where'd you get the cool tubular guards? Those are sweet!

jerryh 10-21-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 364284)

Great point. They help big time!

skokievtr 10-21-2013 03:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jerryh (Post 364300)
Hey where'd you get the cool tubular guards? Those are sweet!

They are one of a set of ten imported about 10 years ago to those that jumped on the group buy on Greg's old VTR forum (runlevelzero.com) by an ex-Canook living in Tokyo named Stuart Ablett. His VTR is similar to mine. Have not communicated in a while with Stu, so this post prompted me now to do so. See his link: Touring VTR

Anyway, the lil' japanese guy who made them for a local track school's VTRs took a year to make the 10 sets. Maybe Stu can get them to fab more if they're still around.

jerryh 10-21-2013 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 364302)
They are one of a set of ten imported about 10 years ago to those that jumped on the group buy on Greg's old VTR forum (runlevelzero.com) by an ex-Canook living in Tokyo named Stuart Ablett. His VTR is similar to mine. Have not communicated in a while with Stu, so this post prompted me now to do so. See his link: Touring VTR

Anyway, the lil' japanese guy who made them for a local track school's VTRs took a year to make the 10 sets. Maybe Stu can get them to fab more if they're still around.

Clever idea, thank you. The rear mcct appears to be wearing a diaper

skokievtr 10-21-2013 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by jerryh (Post 364306)
Clever idea, thank you. The rear mcct appears to be wearing a diaper

Yes the rear cct is wearing a duct tape (LBDT & LADT = life before duct tape and ...) clad open cell foam diaper which has not needed to be changed in well over 6 years LOL

BTW the case guuards are 3-point mount and very light CM steel tubing.

jerryh 10-21-2013 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 364309)
Yes the rear cct is wearing a duct tape (LBDT & LADT = life before duct tape and ...) clad open cell foam diaper which has not needed to be changed in well over 6 years LOL

BTW the case guuards are 3-point mount and very light CM steel tubing.

The mcct is over 6 and still wearing a diaper? You both have issues.

Myhairym0nk3y 01-13-2014 11:34 PM

What is the difficulty rating on wiring this into the turn signal?