SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Removing Stickers? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/removing-stickers-7862/)

ta2av 12-16-2005 07:46 AM

Removing Stickers?

Is there any good and safe way to remove the factory stickers that are not clear coated into the body plasticks?

bronco78 12-16-2005 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by ta2av";p=&quot (Post 13556)
Is there any good and safe way to remove the factory stickers that are not clear coated into the body plastics?

Heat is your friend. Hot blow dryer or better yet a heat gun. Warm them up; use the edge of a piece of plastic or wooden type Popsicle stick to lift the decal away from the part. Peel, scrape it off. Clean up the residue with some solvent, WD40 woks in most cases clean and wax the area to remove all remaining residue form the decal and solvent.

I've done this on every bike I’ve owned, and may of the cars and trucks, right off the lot.

ta2av 12-16-2005 08:33 AM

Re: Removing Stickers?

Can you get it too hot with a heat gun? Really do not want to ruin the paint to remove a sticker.

Thanks for the quick response!

bronco78 12-16-2005 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ta2av";p=&quot (Post 13559)
Can you get it too hot with a heat gun? Really do not want to ruin the paint to remove a sticker.

Thanks for the quick response!

If it is a better gun,, yes,, you cold blister the paint.. Just use some common sense. Hotter then a blow dryer, cooler then melting your skin ..LOL

SlowHAWK 12-16-2005 11:23 AM

You can also try some of the citrus based cleaners/removers.... I used GooGone to take the ugly hot pink stickers off my Katana a few years ago.... I found the best method is to get an edge up gently with your finger nail and try to soak the underside with the Goo-Gone/Citrus stuff... then keep peeling, then soaking, on and on....

I'm sure heat will work better, but if you don't want to go there, this method might help you..... I'd also test whatever you use on the backside or unseen painted area before using it, just incase....

A.B. 12-16-2005 06:24 PM

Another trick for stickers and other stuff glued to painted parts is to use dental floss. Saw back and forth to cut through the goop.

VTR69 12-16-2005 07:43 PM

I found the hair dryer works OK. Too hot,though, and it weakens the decal and it breaks while unpeeling it. The big problem for me was getting the glue residue off. Found out from a forum like this one that WD-40 works great on the glue-goo and didn't hurt my paint. Hope this helps

Texassuperhawk 12-16-2005 11:21 PM

Just heat the sticker with a heat gun enough to soften it and peel it off, then use rubbing alcohol to clean of the residue. Too much heat will ruin the paint or warp plastic if your removing it from a fairing. When your done just repolish the area and it'll look fine.

ta2av 12-17-2005 06:51 AM

Thanks for the tips. As Soon as it Warms up a little I will give it a Try.