SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Powder coating removal (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/powder-coating-removal-33987/)

Fastguy59 06-05-2016 12:17 PM

Powder coating removal

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone had any success with removing the stock Honda powder coating from aluminum parts. I am trying not to sandblast them because it removes so much detail, rounds off edges etc. I tried some paint stripper which was touted to "strip epoxy paint" on the today. They sat coated with stripper for about 3 hours, result... Zip!

Aquasnake 06-05-2016 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Fastguy59 (Post 396681)
Has anyone had any success with removing the stock Honda powder coating from aluminum parts. I am trying not to sandblast them because it removes so much detail, rounds off edges etc. I tried some paint stripper which was touted to "strip epoxy paint" on the today. They sat coated with stripper for about 3 hours, result... Zip!

We have this nasty stuff in our powder coating shop that they use, I'll find out it's name tomorrow.

Wolverine 06-05-2016 02:58 PM

Pretty sure you're not dealing with powder coat Bobby.

thedeatons 06-05-2016 05:09 PM

Powdercoat is removeable with acetone, but it takes a lot of it and some rubbing.... I know from experience.

James

Fastguy59 06-05-2016 06:36 PM

I have been informed that the rear peg hangers are silver anodized... This throws a wrenc in the works!

CruxGNZ 06-05-2016 06:43 PM

Those are the ones I sent ya? Maybe have them media blasted with walnut shells. They certainly didn't look anodized.

Fastguy59 06-05-2016 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 396688)
Those are the ones I sent ya? Maybe have them media blasted with walnut shells. They certainly didn't look anodized.

Yes Crux, they are the ones you sent me. Yeah that's what I thought, usually silver anodizing has that nice soft "glow" to it, but what the hell do I know anyhow! Lol! I have my fabricator doing up two different kinds of low mount exhaust can hangers to eliminate them at some point.

Aquasnake 06-06-2016 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Aquasnake (Post 396682)
We have this nasty stuff in our powder coating shop that they use, I'll find out it's name tomorrow.

Okay, the product they use over in our powder coating shop is called B16 Industrial paint stripper. This shit is nasty. Use in an extremely well ventilated area! Do NOT let this get on your skin! Respirator is HIGHLY recommended. And, of course, eye protection.
You have been warned! It works well but some light media removal is still needed.

Fastguy59 06-08-2016 06:59 AM

Thank to all that answered. This weekend I will give the oven cleaner a try and post the results with pix!

Fastguy59 06-30-2016 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So EZ Off worked great! Took the anodizing right off! The first one came out great, the second one I over cooked it a bit as I got distracted by a client phone call... Here is a pic of the stripped, but over baked one!

Fastguy59 06-30-2016 10:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Now a pic of the first one with a half-assed polish job!

CruxGNZ 06-30-2016 05:18 PM

What are you using to polish it? Do you have a polishing wheel, or are you using elbow grease? I know some of us would like to know the steps you took to get them to look good. :)

Fastguy59 06-30-2016 06:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So here it goes.. Oven cleaner, then a scubbie sponge with dawn dishwashing detergent, blown off with an air gun. Makita drill with a 120 flap wheel take out all the major imperfections keeping the grinding grain going one way, then cross grain at 90 degrees until you can't see the previous marks, repeat with 180 flap repeat with 220 flap (ideally you should go all the way to 600 grit) then buffing wheel with Tripoli compound, the Rolite metal polish on a buff or a felt come, buff the bejesus out of it with a flannel cloth until no black remains, then seal it with Griots paint sealant... Crux thanks for the mint pieces to start the process with!

Wolverine 06-30-2016 07:32 PM

Soon as you're done with your Hawk, I'll ride mine up to ya and fly home. You'll need something to keep busy when it's done. :) :) :)

CruxGNZ 06-30-2016 09:11 PM

Whoa, alright. Apparently it's not just two steps haha