Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

New Speedo face

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
New Speedo face

Speedo, easy to read on the 1998-2000, crap to read on the 2001 and up.
The back lighting white light through red plastic overlay is crap compared to the white back lighting though white on the early models.
Adding additional lights on the front side helped https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ighting-33868/
The later model speedo face has smaller digits and those digits cramped closer together on the late model speedo face, and the dual markings of KPH all add up to a mash up blur "stuff" when trying to take a peak at your speedo in use...

Then a thought, the VTR in stock and even modestly modified form is not capable regardless of what your buddies uncle said the bike would go before he sold it to you...
Add to that I run lower gearing, and max speed it 148 at redline (which my bike pulls quickly vice a stock geared one that....well argue that on a different post along with talk of unicorns, 100 MPG you get from your VTR, that time you went 186 MPH and other fantasy topics)
For me, a speedo face that had numbers above 150 or so was a waste of space...
Plus I dont need the dual speed markings so we can do away with those as well for a cleaner uncluttered presentation.
An idea was born.... create a new speedo face with the numbers and hash marks larger and more spread out using a smaller speed range and remove all unneeded markings.

To do this you need a electronic speedo correction unit and a new speedo face....I had the correction unit already (HealTech V4) and a friend in the UK had the ability to make the new face...

All installed, will wait till rain stops tomorrow to calibrate the speedo healer for the new sweep.

Last edited by E.Marquez; 01-03-2019 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Nice.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
OUTSTANDING! Great job there Mr. E!
Can't wait to see how this works out.....
somebody pass me the popcorn.....
Old 01-04-2019, 01:32 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Very nice! I would have enjoyed this on my VTR...
Old 01-05-2019, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Great work as usual. I always like to see the engineering mind tweaking the usability of current designs. I never liked the stock dash either.
For my 98 with no fuel gauge or digital temp & useless speedo I built a fuel float for the tank out of a CBR600RR float by plastic welding it into shape then swapped temp sender in the thermostat housing for digital temp gauge.
Then just swapped on the 600RR dash. Super big easy to read digital speed, temp and big fuel gauge.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 AM
MotoGP

pics

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 01-05-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:57 AM
MotoGP

Ignore how busy this cockpit looks, it has been vastly improved. Just showing the dash.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:21 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Speedo, easy to read on the 1998-2000, crap to read on the 2001 and up.
The back lighting white light through red plastic overlay is crap compared to the white back lighting though white on the early models.
Adding additional lights on the front side helped https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ighting-33868/
The later model speedo face has smaller digits and those digits cramped closer together on the late model speedo face, and the dual markings of KPH all add up to a mash up blur "stuff" when trying to take a peak at your speedo in use...

Then a thought, the VTR in stock and even modestly modified form is not capable regardless of what your buddies uncle said the bike would go before he sold it to you...
Add to that I run lower gearing, and max speed it 148 at redline (which my bike pulls quickly vice a stock geared one that....well argue that on a different post along with talk of unicorns, 100 MPG you get from your VTR, that time you went 186 MPH and other fantasy topics)
For me, a speedo face that had numbers above 150 or so was a waste of space...
Plus I dont need the dual speed markings so we can do away with those as well for a cleaner uncluttered presentation.
An idea was born.... create a new speedo face with the numbers and hash marks larger and more spread out using a smaller speed range and remove all unneeded markings.

To do this you need a electronic speedo correction unit and a new speedo face....I had the correction unit already (HealTech V4) and a friend in the UK had the ability to make the new face...

All installed, will wait till rain stops tomorrow to calibrate the speedo healer for the new sweep.
Erik, wanted to ask you how is the backlight on the new speedo face, do you have pictures?
Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Ignore how busy this cockpit looks, it has been vastly improved. Just showing the dash.
Busy is an understatement bro' ;-), are you listening to music while riding in NYC? I hope not with all the cab's and ubers....
Old 03-05-2019, 04:29 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NHSH
Erik, wanted to ask you how is the backlight on the new speedo face, do you have pictures?
Sad to say, I'been riding and working on other bikes for weeks now.

Was asked to review a new exhaust system for one of the other bike models I focus on, the Suzuki DRZ400... So I had two DRZ400 bikes brought in to test on and been riding them and my DRZ485 SM mostly.

But that review is over and its back to regular bike work and some time for my own bikes. I'll try and get back to the speedo here in the next day or so.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:20 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Sad to say, I'been riding and working on other bikes for weeks now.

Was asked to review a new exhaust system for one of the other bike models I focus on, the Suzuki DRZ400... So I had two DRZ400 bikes brought in to test on and been riding them and my DRZ485 SM mostly.

But that review is over and its back to regular bike work and some time for my own bikes. I'll try and get back to the speedo here in the next day or so.
Cool, sounds like you very busy these days... and it's not summer yet ;-)
Old 04-26-2019, 09:18 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

It works

Just to close this out yesterday I finally got time to make adjustments to theHealTech V4 speedo healer

After some trial and error the new speedo face reads accurate to within a quarter of a mile an hour at all speeds 10 to 143
Old 04-27-2019, 02:30 AM
Squid

Red Fox is on a distinguished road
Just for interest, what gearing do you have and what correction factor do you use? I have 15/41 gearing and with a correction factor of -11 % the speedo still shows 4mph advance, i.e at GPS confirmed 145 mph the speedo reads 149 mph.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:19 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Red Fox
Just for interest, what gearing do you have and what correction factor do you use? I have 15/41 gearing and with a correction factor of -11 % the speedo still shows 4mph advance, i.e at GPS confirmed 145 mph the speedo reads 149 mph.
I run 15/43 gearing,180/55 ZR 17 73W Pilot Road 4,and right now the V4 is at -14.8%

I made several runs past a radar gun last night, and confirmed my GPS findings that I'm off just a hair at 30MPH, and 1/2 mph at 100 or so and up.
Changing another .1% takes it further off so I'm as good as I can get with this gearing / tire size
Old 05-27-2019, 06:16 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Now available

$28 if anyone is interested shoot me a PM
Old 05-27-2019, 02:24 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
My Japanese domestic market VTR came with a 180 km/hr speedo, and as a consequence this is super easy to read and no inconvenience at all. It also had a 180km/hr top speed limiter that fortunately was very easy to defeat (for use on closed courses only...).

Last edited by Cadbury64; 05-27-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:37 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Cadbury64
My Japanese domestic market VTR came with a 180 km/hr speedo, and as a consequence this is super easy to read and no inconvenience at all. It also had a 180km/hr top speed limiter that fortunately was very easy to defeat (for use on closed courses only...).
Yes but you have the early speedo.. It was never the issue (for me anyways.) it was the late model speedo face I found to be utter garbage for viewability
Old 06-01-2019, 04:22 PM
SuperBike

Erik, PM'd you, thank you brother.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Squid

VTRsquid is on a distinguished road
Do you think you might ever tap into the international market with some KMH ones? Id grab one for sure.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:38 AM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
Yeah cool but...I'd never know how fast I was going when over 180! And I do that on my morning commute easily....My speedo says so, it must be true.

All kidding aside, I swapped the orange needle from the tach to the speedo and for some reason I like configuration better. I'll snap a photo later.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsquid
Do you think you might ever tap into the international market with some KMH ones? Id grab one for sure.
These are being made for me in the UK, so it would be a waste of $$ to have them made, shipped and then shipped back to non US markets.

I can ask my supplier if he is interesting in making/ selling this configuration in the UK.
Old 06-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I’d be interested in a speedo face that only goes to 100~110mph. I don’t even go 100 on the narrow windy roads around here. I’ve taken to using a cheap fleabay digital GPS speedo on a RAM mount because the stock speedo is ridiculously hard for me to read quickly.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:00 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
I’d be interested in a speedo face that only goes to 100~110mph. I don’t even go 100 on the narrow windy roads around here. I’ve taken to using a cheap fleabay digital GPS speedo on a RAM mount because the stock speedo is ridiculously hard for me to read quickly.
No plans to make other speed ranges at this time
Old 06-08-2019, 08:26 PM
SuperBike

Installed last night, looking great, bright and clear. I will test the speedo reading after this weekend and write about it.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:36 PM
SuperBike

Here is an update on the new speedo face.
I been running more extreme sprocket ratio of 15/46 for a while now and I love it, especially sense I don't do more than a day trip on the VTR, (for that I have the Multistrada 1200).
Obviously the speedo was off by allot, not like I really used it with the original face anyway...
Now, with this new setup from E Marquez which I finally can read, it got me also much closer to the real speed by moving the numbers a bit forward.
After testing several times with 2 different speedo softwares, I couldn't get exact correct curve on how much it's off now in different speeds, also, tires size and profile may change the reading a bit, but it got me as close to about 5 to 6 mph higher on the new speedo face on average more than the GPS reading on highway speed.
In fact, I won't even bother fixing it with speedohealer, it's close enough that if I drop the ratio of the rear sprocket few teeth, it would probably be almost on the dime with the GPS, I'm happy with that.

Thank you E

Last edited by NHSH; 06-18-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Back Marker

jamesvtr is on a distinguished road
it would be sweet to be able to get a white gauge for the 1998 to 2000 range
Old 09-01-2019, 12:29 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jamesvtr
it would be sweet to be able to get a white gauge for the 1998 to 2000 range
Many available though UK sources ...look at UK ebay
Old 11-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Installed the new model GPI and updated the other wiring a bit...

Still love the new speedo face, the less "busy" number and hash mark arraignment makes it so much easier to read at a glance...you know like when you crest a hill and see a Copper on the side of the road ..LOL