SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Naked Shawk, revision 1a... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/naked-shawk-revision-1a-25422/)

superhen 04-30-2011 03:15 PM

Naked Shawk, revision 1a...

1 Attachment(s)
OK, after some good and bad feedback about my gold-painted diamond plate flyscreen, and a week vacation to get away from the project, I decided to scrap it, and go with carbon fiber instead. Looks much cleaner and modern, I think. Going to change the radiator shrougs to CF at some point and make them a little bigger, that is, if I don't switch to a single rad up front. More photos to come. Look for me at the Slimey Crud Run tomorrow!

Attachment 26146

Stixx 04-30-2011 05:11 PM

I like that much better. Not that the other did not require some skill to fab, this just goes with the bike better.

superhen 04-30-2011 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah, I painted the chin fairing black too, looks mucho better, imo.

Attachment 26145

fred 04-30-2011 06:08 PM

i like it better, too. nice work. since you're going for naked, have you considered losing the fat ass-end plastic, too?

superhen 04-30-2011 06:17 PM

"I like big butts and I cannot lie; You other bruthas can't deny;"

Hey remember the 80's??

I am going to mod it some next winter, but it's not getting a complete makeover. I do not want this to look like a 2007 liter bike tail, plus I want 2-up riding so I can take my boys for rides in a few years. Anyway, the tail is phase 3 (phase 2 being radiator).

7moore7 04-30-2011 07:01 PM

+1 on the tail, man. Also, waaaaaaay sick front piece now. Worlds better!

oahu hawk 04-30-2011 07:44 PM

Say hi to Peter Egan for me if you bump into him at the SCR...been a fan of his for many years...

CruxGNZ 04-30-2011 11:32 PM

I like that a lot better! Looks good now. Maybe you can use the previous one as a mailbox? :D Just messin' with ya man.

If that was my project, I would take the radiators and paint them black. Then, on your black shroud I would run some silver paint (same color as your frame, trailing arm, ect.) on the inside of the hawk wing. That would be subtle, yet look pretty cool. Make it pop and set it off from the rest.

Have fun at the run!

superhen 05-01-2011 04:48 PM

Thanks for the ideas and support, guys. Maybe I could turn that gold flyscreen into a camping toilet or something? Ha! Yeah, I have to think about the rad shrouds, how I want the finished design to come out. I got all summer to work on that, now it's time to ride.

First ride today, windy as hell and cold, but fun to get on the road again. VERY big turnout for Slimey Crud Run, despite the temps. Renthal bar setup is great, and it's not even really that high, makes me wonder how I ever got along with the stock clip-ons. And O that torque, had to be careful with the cold tires, but that torque! Did I mention I love the SHawk torque?!

RWhisen 05-01-2011 05:43 PM

Looks nice! If you're going with CF, see if you can complete it with a CF front fender.

fred 05-02-2011 07:16 AM

i agree. i think a cf front fender would look much nicer with your custom front.

t99ford 05-03-2011 08:49 PM

Looks MUCH better, man!!!

Now get rid of that frame decal!!!

poppazuti 05-03-2011 09:25 PM

Good looking bike! I went naked with my Hawk two years ago and get more people checking it out than when it was in stock trim.

I noticed you're running your throttle cables and brake lines on the outside of your fork tubes (vs. inside stock location). I recently moved my throttle cables to the outside of the fork due to binding with the headlight bracket (the throttle wouldn't snap back shut, just kinda lazily rotated back to the closed position), the brake lines are clearing fine (stainless Galfer's) but I eventually plan on running a superbike bar as well and will probably have to run the brake lines that way to get the extra length. Do you have your clutch line ran to the outside of the forks as well?

Do any other members see an issue with running the lines and cables this way? I'll admit that I was a little paranoid when I first moved the throttle cable.

superhen 05-04-2011 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by t99ford (Post 301463)
Looks MUCH better, man!!!

Now get rid of that frame decal!!!

Somehow I have been so focused on the project that I haven't even noticed the vin decal was still on there. It's good as gone. Thanks for the praise!

98VTRrider 05-04-2011 06:41 AM

Much better front end, more refined, less industrial. I think the radiator shrouds would look great if they were the full size of the rads.

lukenukem47 05-04-2011 08:05 AM

Need to go with the low profile barke and clutch reseviors off a cbr or something

lukenukem47 05-04-2011 08:07 AM

Add a speedo and rpm gauge off a early shadow

evines 05-04-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by poppazuti (Post 301467)
Do any other members see an issue with running the lines and cables this way? I'll admit that I was a little paranoid when I first moved the throttle cable.

Mine are routed outside the forks also, after switching to a CBR1000RR front end. The throttle cables were not long enough and were binding when I turned left, so I had to reroute. I plan on eventually getting longer throttle cables so I can route it back through the forks. I think stock is 26" (not sure) and I'm guessing I'd need a 28" line at least, maybe even 30".

The only issue with routing outside the fork that I can think of is making sure they don't bind or rub too much on anything, and don't get pinched by the forks or triples at extreme steering angles. It looks like he might have a little rubbing on the right fork, so I'd recommend watching that to make sure it doesn't start rubbing through the rubber over time. I wrapped black electrical tape around certain spots on my lines that I thought might rub. I've been riding for a couple of months like this, and there is now a scuff on the tape where it rubbed against the edge of my top triple. I'll want to fix that eventually (maybe next winter), but it's not a big deal for now.

Oh, to the OP, big improvement! I love that flyscreen, way better than the other. I'd do a flat black front fender (or CF).

A single radiator up front would be awesome, although the "holy grail" for this bike is one radiator tucked under the seat. But I'd be impressed either way. Hell, I'm already impressed.

fred 05-06-2011 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by superhen (Post 301488)
Somehow I have been so focused on the project that I haven't even noticed the vin decal was still on there. It's good as gone. Thanks for the praise!

that frame decal identifies your bike. are you sure you wanna remove it? maybe you could cover it with a smart looking removable aluminum tape patch? is the VIN stamped into the frame somewhere else. i have a vague memory of seeing it somewhere when i was working on it.

-f

superhen 05-07-2011 05:15 PM

Yeeaaah, if the only vin# on the bike was on a decal, we could put the dmv/dot out of business! Or bike thefts would go up 4000%. Check your (steering) head...

t99ford 05-07-2011 10:53 PM

What Superhen said. The decal is unsightly redundancy at its best!

shake-n-bake 05-09-2011 07:10 PM

i like that a lot. one thing though, if you're going to re do the rad covers, it kinda bothers me that the wings are tilted upwards. why not have the bottom come straight horizontal across and center up the angle of it.

superbeater 05-09-2011 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by shake-n-bake (Post 302178)
i like that a lot. one thing though, if you're going to re do the rad covers, it kinda bothers me that the wings are tilted upwards. why not have the bottom come straight horizontal across and center up the angle of it.

What he said. But I really like the changes. Nicely done.

You may all ready know about it, but for a cool, small, mega capable instrument panel check out Trail Tech's Vapor.