SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   lets see your trip setup. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/lets-see-your-trip-setup-25655/)

jb 05-22-2011 10:24 AM

lets see your trip setup.

5 Attachment(s)
I am planning a 5-7 day riding trip and want to see how everyone mounts there gear.

I just built a rig to mount saddlebags. I didnt want the bags to hit the pipes or plastic so i made brackets to keep a safe distance.

Going to test them oun on a local ride and see how they do.

would like to see how other set their hawks up for road trips.

superhen 05-22-2011 03:06 PM

I haven't done a big SH trip, so no advice on setup. My comments though are 1) I like to see a guy who builds his own stuff, and 2) Throw a couple bricks in your saddlebags for testing. On other bikes I have set up for trips, and forgotten to weight the bags, so it seems good in the garage, but when you hit the road, the bags are about an inch or two lower. Nice looking rig!

Brad

jb 05-22-2011 04:10 PM

Im going to load them down this week and see how they work on the ride to work.
The bags are new, so im sure they will break in and change shape. Plus after the first rain im sure they will change.

here was last years setup in the rain

PhotoReflect - MoonshinePhoto.Com - Deal's Gap 07-12-10 Monday (Rainy)

badboyrr 05-22-2011 05:42 PM

Trippy

2 Attachment(s)
Here's how I do it.

smokinjoe73 05-22-2011 09:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah, nothing compares to the givi setup. I have the wing rack so you can carry 1-3 bags of any size. I mean, lockable, waterproof, pops on & off to carry. You can fit 2 full helmets in the large bags & I can take 3 large bags on a big trip.

Old Yeller 05-23-2011 07:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's how I do it:

smokinjoe73 05-23-2011 08:05 AM

That is some custom bodywork on that superhawk...

nothing 05-23-2011 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Old Yeller (Post 303711)
Here's how I do it:

u keep everything in your pockets?? :p

Stixx 05-23-2011 09:20 AM

here is my set up. It is good for at least a week a half. Been to Sturgis and back twice with it like this.https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-think-044-jpg

Old Yeller 05-23-2011 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by nothing (Post 303724)
u keep everything in your pockets?? :p

Day trip with only the tank bag. Side cases and givi trunk case were left at the B & B. :)

jb 05-23-2011 05:38 PM

I wanted to do a set of hard bags. but didnt think it would work with the pipes i have on it.

smokinjoe73 05-23-2011 07:29 PM

You could just do the top box. The sides could be adapted since other high pipe bikes have hard bags (vfr/triumph). I only use the top box 90% of the time.

nothing 05-23-2011 08:23 PM

yeller that is a nice tank bag now that I notice. I got one like it with my old sv along with some cheap feeling saddle bags. stuff was nice. I'd like to get my hands on something similar soon since I'll be on the way to sturgis.

the1bolton 05-27-2011 07:28 PM

I have a set of corbin beetle bags. Strange shape to fit something like a laptop for working trips but otherwise I like them. Can't remove them quickly like the givi's though.

I just leave them there so I can carry warm/cool riding gear at the same time easily. I can ride in in the 50's and ride home in the 80's sometimes from work.

Also their pretty sturdy in a topple over. Also, they add a lot of weight to the bike which I do notice.

20_rc51_00 05-29-2011 07:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
never gone on a trip with the hawk but the RC has been on a few

thetophatflash 05-29-2011 07:42 AM

A tank bag up front, rain gear across the tail under a cargo net and a Visa card.

skokievtr 05-29-2011 07:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I run a small Givi-type trunk on a modified Ventura system rack around town & have a larger trunk for multi-day trips (both trunks can be QD & mount either over the pillion or tail). I also have the large & small Ventura bags, semi-rigid saddle bags (that are kept out & in-place by the passenger footpeg brackets and don't get near the 2Bro low-mount cans or wheel), 6.5# 3-man tent, and a couple of tank bags I can use.

My own 1.1 gallon bigger tank, driving lights, heated grips (& vest), RD & GPS, NEP throttle lock & Cramp Buster, customized Sargent saddle, 23mm lower pilot pegs, higher & more rearward Tomaselli 3-way adjustable clip-ons (http://www.guzzino.com/toadcl.html), ZG DB, Tek-Spec tank pads, Scott Oiler, Greg-massaged front forks (& CBR600F41 brakes installed a bit later than in below pics) & Penske shock are what really make a difference during long hours on the road loaded for bear.

skokievtr 05-29-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 303686)
Yeah, nothing compares to the givi setup. I have the wing rack so you can carry 1-3 bags of any size. I mean, lockable, waterproof, pops on & off to carry. You can fit 2 full helmets in the large bags & I can take 3 large bags on a big trip.

Do U find the Givi side cases (paniers) cause a weave above 85 mph? Do both the trunk & side cases cause issues in heavy cross-winds?

smokinjoe73 05-29-2011 08:25 PM

No, not at all. The maxia in the pick is HUGE(52 liters). Easily 2 helmets + more stuff. I modified the wing rack to suck the side cases right up to the subframe (modified the tail fairing).

This way I can still lane split in full trim. They are very aerodynamic. I go over 100 nearly every ride (short duration) but no ill effects. I started with that same trunk you are using but you gotta try a 45-50 liter givi.

It took my friend forever to talk me into the givi stuff but now I dont know how I lived w/o it. If you look around you can get them pretty cheap, especially on the barf forum.

skokievtr 05-29-2011 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 304392)
No, not at all. The maxia in the pick is HUGE(52 liters). Easily 2 helmets + more stuff. I modified the wing rack to suck the side cases right up to the subframe (modified the tail fairing).

This way I can still lane split in full trim. They are very aerodynamic. I go over 100 nearly every ride (short duration) but no ill effects. I started with that same trunk you are using but you gotta try a 45-50 liter givi.

It took my friend forever to talk me into the givi stuff but now I dont know how I lived w/o it. If you look around you can get them pretty cheap, especially on the barf forum.

My other trunk (top case) is a Shad 40C. I did not want anything larger and its internal shape is very efficient.

Ndogg550 01-25-2012 01:45 PM

I bought a large GIVI style top box which came with a mounting plate. I then picked up a used stock seat, and drilled through the back section to permanently bolt down the top box mounting plate. It pops on/off with no tools, holds PLENTY of gear, and i have my other seat with the rear cowl for times I am not on road trips.

Not necessarily the most sophisticated setup, but I didn't want any permanent brackets hanging off the back, so this works out fine. I've never seen anybody else do such a thing, but just figured "why not?"

hallstein 01-26-2012 03:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a pair of Corbin beetle bags. They're super slinky, but don't really hold that much and are hard to pack. The top case is a Givi, with modified brackets (originally for a Kawasaki 400 I think it was) to fit inside of (under and through the fender and undertray) the Corbins. Up front, a Bagster tank bag. On this particular trip, through the south-eastern part of Norway, that's where I kept my rain gear! In addition, on either side of the bike, fixed to the frame side rails, I have small pouches - actually camera pouches - for small stuff like disk lock, my magnetic side stand support plate and such.

(Picture quality not great, less-than-state-of-the-art phone camera ;))

smokinjoe73 01-26-2012 07:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
You could sell those beetle juice bags for major cash profit & buy solid rectangular givi e21s.

Ndogg, I also did a bolt-to-the-seat givi plate for my vtr without the rack. Same cases pop onto the top or sides of the wingrack.

Fozzy Bear 01-27-2012 04:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my usual setup.
The combination of the Ventura 51 litre Aero bags zipped together and the tank bag make the bike much more aerodynamic. When cruising at a steady 120kmh (75mph) the bikes returns 48mpg consistently.
The cushion on the seat is an Airhawk.
Welcome to AirHawk Australia - Airhawk Australia | Seat Cushions | Motorcycle | Truck | Bus | Car | Heavy Vehicle
Attachment 25072

jb 03-28-2013 07:52 PM

That is a nice setup

Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear (Post 323697)
This is my usual setup.
The combination of the Ventura 51 litre Aero bags zipped together and the tank bag make the bike much more aerodynamic. When cruising at a steady 120kmh (75mph) the bikes returns 48mpg consistently.
The cushion on the seat is an Airhawk.
Welcome to AirHawk Australia - Airhawk Australia | Seat Cushions | Motorcycle | Truck | Bus | Car | Heavy Vehicle
http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...s/100_3335.jpg

skokievtr 03-29-2013 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear (Post 323697)
When cruising at a steady 120kmh (75mph) the bikes returns 48mpg consistently.

Even without the luggage, what jetting do you run that you get 48 mpg?!

New and run-in with stock everything and downhill with a tailwind my 1998 VTR at best got 40 mpg.

Is it the gasoline and lower gravity (presuming you weigh more than 175#s) you have at the bottom off the world?

And do your toilets really flush counterclockwise?

Upland111 03-29-2013 08:01 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Made these simple brackets last year for the trip to Crater Lake. Worked out really well. Heading to Devil's Tail with them this year.

Attachment 15295

Attachment 15293

Attachment 15294

SPRHK 04-05-2013 09:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My road trip get up. Also have matching Saddlebags when tailbag is not an option.

smokinjoe73 04-05-2013 09:52 AM

SPRHK.

Nice set up, good to see other hawkers with carrying capacity.

You should do a post about the flomaster if you are still using it. Is it permanently on the bike? Does it make tuning carbs a snap? Is it worht it etc?

jb 04-19-2013 10:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
on the ride: