Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Hard plastic tank cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 05:31 AM
Squid

drumstyx is on a distinguished road
Hard plastic tank cover?

A lot of Ebay fairing kits come with a tank cover which, obviously, the VTR1000F doesn't have originally.

Has anyone tried these? Pics? I mean, the kits with them aren't much more expensive than the kids without, so it might just be worth a try anyway, but I'd be worried the used a tank mold to to make it, rather than the tank AS a mold, to get the inner measurements of it right.

My tank has a couple little dents, and a godawful paint job, and if I replace the fairing, it'd sure be convenient/cheaper to use a cover than get the tank dents repaired and the tank repainted.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:09 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
I have wondered the same thing.
anyone?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Squid

Csecrist3 is on a distinguished road
I have bought some from eBay and did receive the hard tank piece. It fits okay, but there is a lip that shows from the original tank on the bottom portion along with around the gas cap. I'll post some photos soon. I kept it for the money aspect as I didn't have the money to get the tank painted and new fairings, so I stuck with it painted the tank the color of the hard piece so it wouldn't show under.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:10 PM
Squid

Looking forward to pics! How did the rest of the fairing fit? I figure it'd be trivial to hide the edges of the tank with black paint or vinyl.

Still not sure if pretty plastic makes the bike worth another $600 to offset the cost, so I'm on the fence.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:41 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by drumstyx
Looking forward to pics! How did the rest of the fairing fit? I figure it'd be trivial to hide the edges of the tank with black paint or vinyl.

Still not sure if pretty plastic makes the bike worth another $600 to offset the cost, so I'm on the fence.
The fairings were a little tight and they were decent quality. The ones I bought was $450 and you can pick the color scheme and everything and they'll paint it the way you want it. I had to do new plastics due to getting into an accident and destroying the old ones.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:04 PM
Squid

Yeah, $450 usd is about right. I'm in Canada though, and with the poor dollar and the fact that I'll probably get nailed with $100 in taxes on import, $600 seems like a reasonable estimate. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth staying in this country lol....
Old 06-23-2018, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by drumstyx
Yeah, $450 usd is about right. I'm in Canada though, and with the poor dollar and the fact that I'll probably get nailed with $100 in taxes on import, $600 seems like a reasonable estimate. Sometimes I wonder if it's worth staying in this country lol....
Canada is a huge rip off. "free healthcare" LOL
Old 06-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Squid

Here are the photos of the tank cover. It's a quick easy fix for myself after my accident I had that way during the summer I can deal with it and wait until the winter to get the tank painted and not have any riding down time. Not very noticeable from a far, but close up is okay.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:24 AM
Squid

You're a champ! These might just be the first pics on the internet of this cover installed!

Those edges are a real easy fix -- even easier than painting. Black edge piping for the bottom, vinyl or something for the top.

Any issues installing the seat with the extra thickness in front?