SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Cut my pipes and added LEDs (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/cut-my-pipes-added-leds-28387/)

ur_averagejoe4 05-24-2012 11:55 AM

Cut my pipes and added LEDs

1 Attachment(s)
I have more LEDs to add up front, but this pic just shows the rear ones and the shortened pipes I did this week. Pulled the pipes off and ran it around the block, man did that sound mean. I measured the after results, 7 3/4" from end to end, I also sanded them down since they were messed up from the brackets and painted them flat black with high temp paint. They sound awesome now. The LEDs I put 2 12" strips above the tire, and then 2 6" strips there right above the foot peg.

I'll post up videos of the straight pipe when I get home.

raceruss2003 05-24-2012 12:16 PM

Do you notice a power difference with the cut pipes? I think I remember reading a longer pipe will give you more top end power, while shorter pipes are better for low end torque.

Lights look good

ur_averagejoe4 05-24-2012 12:38 PM

Thanks, I can tell a little bit down low, but I haven't noticed any loss in power up high either. I have only rode it about 8 miles to work this morning since it's been done. Back country roads, I've only got it up to 70 though, no loss there, but I can hear more of the exhaust though where I used to cruise was barely heard. BTW, those are/were the Jardine RT-One.

GTS 05-24-2012 01:00 PM

Basic exhaust theory is generally the longer the pipe the more low end you get. I don't have any experience with these bikes and shortening the mufflers specifically but that just sounds backwards to me having more down low with shorter pipes.

aja 05-24-2012 06:41 PM

Aww those pipes are so cute!

Idk, short pipes don't flow with the bike in my opinion. And led under lights are.... Well its your bike. The pipes do look like a quality job though.

ur_averagejoe4 05-25-2012 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by aja (Post 333719)
Aww those pipes are so cute!

Idk, short pipes don't flow with the bike in my opinion. And led under lights are.... Well its your bike. The pipes do look like a quality job though.

Why thank you! They are cute aren't they?

TO each their own, I like it, it makes it louder, which I like. The Firebird in the background has Hooker Long Tubes, 3 inch X pipe, 3 inch pipes all the way back to dual single chamber Flowmasters, and I want to put cut outs on it, and it's a 383 LT-1.

Well, the more lights I have on my bike at night the better to be seen, I like them, lots of bikes around my area have them, not just sport bikes, but Harleys, Choppers, etc also.

Thanks for the compliment, up close you can see some imperfections, but from a distance it looks nice. If I would have waited a couple more weeks, my dad hopefully goes back to work from strike and he could have cut the pipes at his machine shop to make them look better, but I sanded down the rough spots and tried to make them look as straight cut as possible.

The video we took was from an iPhone, and thus is sideways, so I'm going to see if I can fix the angle and post up the straight pipe clip.

Stixx 05-25-2012 09:54 AM

Nothing wrong with a few l.e.d.s https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-leds-3713.jpg

aja 05-25-2012 11:34 AM

No, nothing wrong. Just that around my area, the only people who run leds are wanna be fast and furious civics and street stunting pricks. Not one person with ground lights doesn't drive like a dick face. Not to mention its illegal.

On a scale of 1-10, how loud were the pipes before and post cut?

ur_averagejoe4 05-26-2012 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by aja (Post 333795)
Not to mention its illegal.

How is it illegal?

ur_averagejoe4 05-26-2012 04:42 PM

Here's pre-cut.

1998 Superhawk Jardine RT-One Exhaust - YouTube

Post cut is about 2-3x louder. Haven't got a clip of that yet.

ur_averagejoe4 05-26-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stixx (Post 333784)

Now that's nice!

aja 05-26-2012 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ur_averagejoe4 (Post 333954)
How is it illegal?

Local to me it is. If they don't get you for the color, its for having the lights.

dshakes 05-30-2012 08:18 AM

I put a red led right by each turn signal with the switch ran under my seat where I can reach it for the sole purpose of more visibility at night. Helps alot. I'll have to ask my friends but I don't think I'm a dickface haha! Cut my cans down too. Set of devils high mounts. Considerably louder. Any performance change isn't enough to make a shit of a difference really. Did a thread on it somewhere with pics.

Stixx 05-30-2012 09:21 AM

Thank you. In oklahoma it is illegal to have certain colors of lights. but if your lights are not on the banned color list then they can ticket you for being a distraction to other drivers. It is bascialy a no win situation. The only time i run mine is for shows and cruise nites. I do have aux brake and blinker l.e.d. strips on my undertail that I run all of the time.

Mosus 04-19-2013 02:27 AM

The LEDs look really nice. I wouldn't mind putting a few on mine now that I've seen those.

sailorjerry 04-19-2013 07:27 AM

Stixx has the first hawk to ever be seen from Space!

VTRf3v3r 04-25-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ur_averagejoe4 (Post 333638)
I have more LEDs to add up front, but this pic just shows the rear ones and the shortened pipes I did this week. Pulled the pipes off and ran it around the block, man did that sound mean. I measured the after results, 7 3/4" from end to end, I also sanded them down since they were messed up from the brackets and painted them flat black with high temp paint. They sound awesome now. The LEDs I put 2 12" strips above the tire, and then 2 6" strips there right above the foot peg.

I'll post up videos of the straight pipe when I get home.

Does having the red LED take away from the intensity of your brake light? It seems that the radiation from the led would interfere withy the radiation of the brake light? Just curious ;)

VTRf3v3r 04-25-2013 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Stixx (Post 333784)

+1. How did you get the tank and fairing effects like that... Vey nice.

randysway223 07-04-2013 10:48 AM

No, nothing wrong. Just that around my area, the only people who run leds are wanna be fast and furious civics and street stunting pricks. Not one person with ground lights doesn't drive like a dick face. Not to mention its illegal.

I think thats in every area then. Everyone knows that LED underglow is associated with fast and furious.

smokinjoe73 07-04-2013 11:17 AM

I am not an LED fan, but for sure to be seen is 100% reason enuff. I just added a bunch of red leds to my turn sigs to make a larger rear profile.

I also firmly believe (make that know) that loud pipes save lives. I dont run crazy straightpipe loud, but silent=deadly.

Averagejoe, that bike looks great. Like I said, usually dont like leds but that is a sweet job.

GTS 07-09-2013 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by randysway223 (Post 358357)
I think thats in every area then. Everyone knows that LED underglow is associated with fast and furious.

The under glow lights were out LONG before fast and furious. It generally is associated with the ricer/low rider crowd. And they are illegal to run on the street in most places I've seen. Especially blue or green being those are emergency colors. Running some as aux tail/brake lights isn't illegal as long as they are the proper red color.