Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Mad Max Beyond Super Hawk
Squid

savdre is on a distinguished road
Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter

OK here is the deal. At the persausion of my neighbor who is a customer shopper riding guy, i am going to customize my superhawk. The end goal is to have a street chopper if that makes any sense. Very similar to the street figheters I have seen in these forums, except, I am going to do away with the enitre tail and seat section. It will hopefully have a ton of cool custom fabricated componants. The idea is to do it withou spending much if anything ( money from parts sold is ok) So far I have ripped a whole binch of stuff off. So I have some questions:

1. I need some ideas about what to do with the radiaors... how can they be moved or can I get rid of them.
2. Where can I find a diagram of the wiring. Any suggestions what is neede and what can go. Once you get rid of the stuff in the front and the seat section there is a ton fo hanging wires. I think I'm in trouble!

Has anyone see a custom job like I am talking about?

Here is a pic of where I am at so far:
Attached Thumbnails Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-photo025.jpg  
Old 01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Back Marker

midijunky is on a distinguished road
So... how are you going to be sitting... like, upright like a cruiser/chopper? where are you relocating your battery and electronics to? there's not many places left on the bike for you to stuff them lol
Old 01-21-2008, 05:43 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
Knowledge Base section of this forum should have a copy of the manual. Wiring diagrams are in the back.

Hope it works out for you.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well, hopefully you aren't planning to really do a chopper (ie longer fork?) because that could give really interesting results... So I'd probably call it cafe-racer?

1. Kai Ju had put one under the tail, not going to work if you remove that though... Others have swapped for a single radiator in the front, high up... Might compromise steering thoo?

2. Last couple of pages in the service manual (sticky in the knowledgebase) has a full wiring diagram, and in the first couple of pages the complete layout of the components is outlayed...

Although there really isn't anything you can "do away with", except the connectors for the lights & signals, and I'd recommend not cutting into those until you have figured out what you are going to replace them with...

You are going to have to figure out placement for the electronic boxes and relays, R/R and battery & fuse box, as well as the rear coil... Fun, fun, fun that is...
Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Hogtech's Kaminari

Here is a custom VTR from back in the day...
Kaminari

Last edited by inderocker; 01-21-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:10 AM
Squid

Reinske is on a distinguished road
Hey, you can switch the Radiators to the VFR800 Front Radiator. Seen some with that mod jet, and they got no temperature problems... The Kai Ju solution won't work for your Chopper, cause the radiator is in the tail. And a real chopper has no tail...

And I got a wiring diagramm as a jpeg. 1800 x 1200. But it's for the european models. But all written in english. If you PM me your Email-Address I could send it.

That VTR - Chopper look pretty good for a chopper. Doesn't look like a highly modified sport-bike... Good job
Old 01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Thats actually pretty nice looking - If I had a primary SH and was thinking of doing up another one as a chopper I would consider a design like this...

my $.02

Originally Posted by inderocker
Here is a custom VTR from back in the day...
Kaminari
Old 01-25-2008, 05:27 AM
Squid

Reinske is on a distinguished road
Strange, never really noticed the frame between tank and seat...
Old 01-25-2008, 09:35 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Looks like you can extend the swingarm a few inches and put the radiator under the seat with some custom made ventilated panels. I wouldn't sell any stock parts til you finish the project. You may want to change back.

Wanna sell those high mounts?

I'm working on some custom exhaust right now. I cut the stock mufflers off right at the can and I'm looking for some baffles to slide down in so they will come out right behind pegs. You could just cut it and run it for that nice loud v-twin sound, plus unrestricted pipes should restrict you down to the power of a Harley.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the responses

Thanks for everyones interest... progress so far... It's not a whole hell of alot b/c I started this project without a clear look in mind, so I spend a ton of time drinking beer and staring out... if i drink too much I start crying like a baby...what have I done what have I done.

- Air box is out an cannibalized for to use as brackets for air filters that will be mounted under the tanks. I basically cut out the plastic bottom area that match the top of the carbs and then machined a metal piece that matched to mount the air filters to. I'll attached a pic later.

- K&N filters mounted on carbs and smaller ones for the crank case vents.

- Wiring and battery stuffed under the seat wrapped them with fiberglass fabric wrap - at least thats what I am calling it. I am not sure how hot it gets under the tank, but I figutred better safe than sorry. BTW there is a sh#$ load of room under the tank once you get rid of that air box.

- Cans are off the bike and upp for sale on Ebay. i am keeping the Jardine pipe exentsions as they follow the tire line well. I do not plan to put pipes on the bike sounds too friggin good without them.

To Do:
-I think I am going to put a cafe race fairing on the front.
-A buddy of mine is helping me with a custom rear fender
-The seat is top secret right now - a big suprise - it will be shorter than a true cafe race.
- Pipes to be wrapped in black
- Cats eye integrated brake turn light to be mounted on fender or rear of seat.

that's it for now.. just spending a lot of time shopping on ebay. I will be selling a ton of stuff on Ebay... there is no turning back now. I will admit that this project is a bit of a hack job, but when I am done with it it will be a badass hackjob!!!

Right now I am selling

- Jardine high mount pipes
- all Fairings
- Corbin Seat w Back Rest
- Fender Twin Amp ( need to fund this project somehow... boo hoo)
Old 03-30-2008, 02:45 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Thumbs up

It's fun to watch someone 'breaking the rules' with their bike. Good luck with 'hackjob!' Post pics when you can.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Squid

Updated pics

I figured you guys need to see how the hack jobs was coming alongs so I am trying to post some pics. All the wires and battery are under the tank, wrapped in fiberglass fabric wrap to keep some heat off it and make the battery fit snug and prvent damage from rubbing. You can also see how I mounted the air filters. Tons of room under the tank when you get rid of the huge air box.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img_0022.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img_0023.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img_0024.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img_0025.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Squid

pics of parts for sale

i have attached some pics of the parts I am selling. I hope that it is not against the rules to put linke to the ebay auctions. If it is oh well, I've done worse things in life... The auctions are ending today! I will be putting other parts up tonight like the corbin seat, tank bra, seat cowling, and what ever else I am not using.

1. Pipes - I am keeping the mid pipes/ extensions. The logos are scuffed up, but the rest is in good condition
Honda VTR 1000 Super Hawk Jardine High Mount Exhaust
2. Rear Fairing
1999 VTR 1000 Super Hawk rear / seat fairing
3. Front and side fairings - The left side has a crack in the bottom section of the radiator opening.
Honda VTR SuperHawk Front & Side Fairings with lights
4. Fender Amp to fund project - need to pay for rear fender, front fairing, and new helmet to match the new cool style - see pic
Fender Twin Electric Guitar Tube Amp w/case 100 watts

Some other things:

1. Anyone have a cafe racer front fairing they want to sell? I found a perfect one on ebay, but lost the auction. So far nothing else has come up that is the exact look I want.
2. The helemet I pictured is from Europe and not approved in the US - What is the difference in the standards bewteen the US and Europe. Safer here or there?
Attached Thumbnails Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-picture-003.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-picture-006.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-picture-012.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-af9f_1_b.jpg  
Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Squid

Silverstorm is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by savdre
i have attached some pics of the parts I am selling. I hope that it is not against the rules to put linke to the ebay auctions. If it is oh well, I've done worse things in life... The auctions are ending today! I will be putting other parts up tonight like the corbin seat, tank bra, seat cowling, and what ever else I am not using.

1. Pipes - I am keeping the mid pipes/ extensions. The logos are scuffed up, but the rest is in good condition
Honda VTR 1000 Super Hawk Jardine High Mount Exhaust
2. Rear Fairing
1999 VTR 1000 Super Hawk rear / seat fairing
3. Front and side fairings - The left side has a crack in the bottom section of the radiator opening.
Honda VTR SuperHawk Front & Side Fairings with lights
4. Fender Amp to fund project - need to pay for rear fender, front fairing, and new helmet to match the new cool style - see pic
Fender Twin Electric Guitar Tube Amp w/case 100 watts

Some other things:

1. Anyone have a cafe racer front fairing they want to sell? I found a perfect one on ebay, but lost the auction. So far nothing else has come up that is the exact look I want.
2. The helemet I pictured is from Europe and not approved in the US - What is the difference in the standards bewteen the US and Europe. Safer here or there?

For the helmets you should check Roof or MOMO.

Succes with the build!
Old 04-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Squid

I did look at momo and roof. I am also considering one of the roof models. Are thay as safe a sUS helmets?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Squid

Silverstorm is on a distinguished road
I don't know about the US (I'm a european). But keep in mind, allthough Roofs look good, they are pretty crapy helmets. Almost none noise-reduction.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:19 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
http://www.smf.org/articles/mcomp2.html
Old 04-07-2008, 12:37 PM
Back Marker

synaptik is on a distinguished road
so is the scorpion ex400 i have ... crap for noise reduction
Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM
Squid

ok so what is the coolest fighter helmet with the best protection and noise reduction?
Old 04-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
ok so what is the coolest fighter helmet with the best protection and noise reduction?
talk to me Goose
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
the Roof would be my #1 choice

but simpson bandit is always cool IMO

Old 05-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Squid

Ok a quick update on the progess of the project. Not much... had lots of traveling to do so I have minimal forward movemnet...

1. Finally found a cool headlight off of ebay. I got a headlight off a ATV from the 80's. Its a ectangle shape with the metal grill. Looks tuff.
2. Start to black out the bike... I had this cool idea to keep the honda logos and turn them into yellow flames on a black tank. Taped off the logo and flame shapes and then painting the rest black. After a few layers of black, I'll paint over the logos and flames and then sand them back out for a tuff used look.

I did try to run the bike down the street, got it to start with out the pipes and all the wiring under the tank. I put the old tail frame back on and salpped the seat on adn felt cool as hell for the first 1/4 of a mile until it stalled and wouldn't start back up. sucked having to push the SH back up a slight incline. Without the pipes the bike needs a little adjustment to run longer than a minute.

It is pretty loud, but I wan't able to get on it to see how obnoxcious it really is. I am tying to find a way to keep the look and tone down the sound.

Enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img00007.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img00010.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-headlight.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-dsc_0003.jpg  
Old 05-26-2008, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
AGV Dragon is a cool helmet:
Old 05-26-2008, 08:47 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
hmmmm, half/face helmets...shoulda studied harder during that premed exam...maxillary surgery
Old 05-27-2008, 10:13 AM
Squid

does this one make you happier?

less prone to create drofmaties of the upper jaw?
Attached Thumbnails Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-roof-boxer.jpg  
Old 05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I guess. But I must admit; I'm not a fan of the 'fighter look unless it's a salvage title.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Squid

I think the change in the tail section will help me avoid a run of the mill fighter look.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
I guess. But I must admit; I'm not a fan of the 'fighter look unless it's a salvage title.
That almost hurts, especially since I started my conversion with a really clean, non crashed, non salvage title example. ( that statement maybe painfull to you, sorry if it is )
I do hate the term streetfighter though since it implies post crash conversion. ( see quote above )
I much prefer "naked" or "standard" and I love being able to see that big, beautifull V-Twin engine, unobscured by plastic or radiators.

Kai Ju
Old 05-27-2008, 11:05 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by kai ju
That almost hurts, especially since I started my conversion with a really clean, non crashed, non salvage title example. ( that statement maybe painfull to you, sorry if it is )
I do hate the term streetfighter though since it implies post crash conversion. ( see quote above )
I much prefer "naked" or "standard" and I love being able to see that big, beautifull V-Twin engine, unobscured by plastic or radiators.

Kai Ju
Don't worry Kai Ju.... at the very least (...and I mean very least!) yours is the exception!
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Squid

Update - Lots of pics

OK lots of updates:

1. Made some custom stainless tips for the pipes. In the process of making some ploppers for the ends for the mac truck look.

2. Made some baffles for the pipes to create back pressure and cut back on the noise a bit. The pipes are now loud, but not over the edge. It sounds greate. If you notice there is small off center hole on one end of the baffle. The is a swinging cover the can open over cover the hole to make a slight adjustment in sound.

3. Pipes wrapped black

4. Seat - old scubbed backpack. Fits perfectly. Mounted to eisting seat breackt holes with a custom seat frame. It will eventuall get some padding and a leather cover.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img00041.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img00042.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img00043.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img00045.jpg   Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter-img00044.jpg  

Quick Reply: Custom Superhawk - beyond street fighter