Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Touch up Paint

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Back Marker

Dave Wicks is on a distinguished road
Touch up Paint

Hi Guys/Gals

I have a 2000 VTR (Firestorm) ..Superhawk. it's a bright yellow..Paint Code is Y163P...I'm trying to track down some touch up paint. Color-rite has a yellow for that year but their code is Y124P. I live in Canada and we got VTR's called Firestorms..then eventually there name was changed to Superhawk like the U.S....Any help on getting some paint?

Ride safe you yanks that still can..
Winter has settled on the frozen North
Dave
Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, the paint color is not the same. I had a tail section from a Firestorm and a front fairing of a US model. They are definitely different. I betcha Color-rite could get something for you though, but you'll have to call. They get their paint samples from the manufacturers themselves, which is one reason they match so closely.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Just checked, Color Rite has a link on their website for Canadian customers. See if you can contact them via the webmail on their site.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:12 PM
Back Marker

Touch Up Paint

Thanks Greg..
I have done that today, got a quick reply confirming that they are different, and a description of what my colour is made up of. I e-mailed again asking if they could help and have not heard back yet.. There was another outfit called cyclesurge I think..going to check that as well. We are really getting into winter now..so "fixing" keeps me sane. Have my VTR and the wifes Ninja to "fix" and a nice bright heated shop... I'll post what I find out for Canadians and any others that got a "Firestorm" in yellow...

Thanks again
Dave
Old 11-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Squid

barkmagnet is on a distinguished road
I got some bass boat red ?
Old 11-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Back Marker

Touch Up Paint

You are a sick person
But you ride a bike so you can't be too bad.. Oh say Greg, got that 250 manual..thanks for the heads up...Busy "fixing" bikes..painted my chin spoiler..it was light grey..did it in flat black with clear coat on top looks good..with my front header all buffed.. looks great till the first ride in the rain..sigh Ran the bike for a while to move some more fuel stablizer through the system..bafflectomy sounds good...

Take care
Dave..............bass boat paint.... drop the (b) maybe..:-D
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Hi Dave

I, too, live in the Great White North (Ottawa). Last summer I fell off my VTR and had to get some plastic bits replaced/repainted. The bodyshop that I used rents out a bay to a fellow who specializes in motorcycle painting (he does ALL the paint for the local Harley dealer).

He was able to match the Pearl Black oem paint perfectly. I defy you to tell the difference between the original paint and the stuff that was redone.

Having said that, any competant body shop should be able to match your paint colour from the paint code that is printed on the sticker located on the frame under the seat.

If you are in the Ottawa area, check these guys out.

Landon Refinishing
Cotter's Auto Shop

They are located on Woodroffe Ave. The painter's name is Brad Landon.

Cheers!

Geoff in Almonte
99VTR
Old 11-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Back Marker

Touch up Paint

Thanks Geoff;

Sorry about your get off..trust you didn't need any parts replaced. I have been interacting with Color-rite..Quebec branch.. I think they have what I need..looking for a touch bottle...Looks like there is a base coat..the colour (this yellow has a very distinct pearl) and a clear coat...I'm not sure if I get three different bottles or what yet..waiting to hear back again..They have been very prompt and helpful...I will post the final results especially for the Canadian guys who may need paint for the years where Canadian and American models differed...I might be part of a cross Canada motorcycle fund raiser this coming summer..will take me near you..maybe we can have coffee..Did the same ride in 04....we raised $250,000 for summer camps..What a great country..so much different scenery...

Take Care
Dave
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
also check with the dealer for 02 F4i yellow, it is the same bright yellow of the canadian 2001 VTR.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Back Marker

Touch Up Paint

Hey Guys;

Got the info back from Color-rite..actually Canadian branch in Quebec, if you go to color-rites site they show Canadians where to look. Anyway they have the paint I'm after, likley going to get the touch up bottles.. Base coat, paint and clear coat... here's the sick part...$97.00...they do offer a pen..less

I'll keep you posted as to how this progresses

Take Care
Dave.................might be after that bass boat paint yet
Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
If Color-Rite is too steep for you try contacting EmpireGP in Montour Falls, NY.
http://www.empiregp.com/
They may be able to direct you towards a cheaper source.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Squid

barkmagnet is on a distinguished road
Why dont you try an Automotive paint supplier they can color match just about any color.Just bring them a part ie: front fender solo seat cover etc.
They may even be able to match it in a non basecoat color (better for touch up). They can also mix small amounts if using for touch up.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Back Marker

Touch Up Paint

Final Chapter
Ordered the paint today from the Colorrite Canadian Distributor in Quebec. Three seperate bottles with base, pearl paint and clear coat.. They also send instructions...getting some pointers from car guys..try is to buff each coat smooth after it's dry..day for each coat...Final cost when we changed shipping from freight company to regular Canada post..all included $80.80
Not cheap, but I want the bike to look good..I like this pearl yellow..nice and visible...I like bright yellow bikes..going to do the wheels and fork bottoms black after I mount new rubber in the spring..like the black yellow contrast..
If you are Canadian and looking for matching paint...www.color-rite.com and then click on Canadian flag...Seem like professional people

Take Care
Dave
Old 11-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you going to paint it yourself?

Some people from Ottawa have tried this course from algonquin and loved it. They will teach you how to properly paint your bike.

http://extraweb.algonquincollege.com...spx?id=MVM5021
Old 11-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Back Marker

Touch up paint

Thanks for the advice
..I'm going to connect to some local auto-body guys...They talked about smoothing each application by buffing..not sanding..until the final..I'm not sure about clear coat from a brush..but we'll see..
The folks at Colorrite are sending some instructions..they have been very good...
The cost is lower than the previous post..actually down to $74.50 shipped mailed across Canada..

I'll try to share how it goes when I get the paint....

Take Care
Dave
Old 11-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Dave,

Suggest having the wheels and fork lowers powder coated vice painted. It's much more durable and easier to take care of.