SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Chi-Knee FOOt peg! An in depth look: (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/chi-knee-foot-peg-depth-look-29535/)

Bandit400man 12-06-2012 06:02 PM

Chi-Knee FOOt peg! An in depth look:

12 Attachment(s)
So I ordered these foot pegs after seeing them on Fleabay and previously discussing them, and other options a few weeks ago.

So here they are, as they arrived from Hong Kong. This is what came with it:

Attachment 24054

A closer look:

Attachment 24055

More pictures, giving a better idea of what it is and how it does it:

Attachment 24056

Attachment 24057

Attachment 24058

Attachment 24059

Attachment 24060

Heres the peg itself:

Attachment 24061

Here seems to be some sort of plug, perhaps to hide the method of anchoring the piece for machine work? Still tasteful though, and well done:

Attachment 24062

Some of the inside pivot parts had fairly sharp corners, so watch out! But that just means the tolerances were close and maybe could have used a light bead blast:

Attachment 24063

Attachment 24064

Here are some pics from the install:

Attachment 24065

May have to start another post I think I'm running out of space? :shock:

Bandit400man 12-06-2012 06:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok here the continuation:

Attachment 24049

Attachment 24050

Attachment 24051

Attachment 24052

Attachment 24053

I think those tight, sharp corners had something to do with how well these mounted up! Very precise and snug, with little play. I was impressed.
I would have liked to see though; a second, maybe longer steel key pin...if not for just a spare.
I did stand on them, while the bike was on its stand. They seemed to hold my weight alright (I'm @190lbs), but there was some flex when I jumped. I think a steel plate in the middle part would feel more sturdy.
But they seem to work as hoped! My knees feel less bent, and can almost touch the sliders. Feel from peg to shift lever is different, obviously, but I cannot really comment much more about the fit of things till I test ride it for an hour or so. (please warm weather, come back again!!)
Was it worth it? So far yes. They look good, they feel nice. But to really know, I'll have to ride it. And maybe tweak the angle of the dangle. So stay tuned! LOL

smokinjoe73 12-06-2012 06:47 PM

Wow looks great. So more leg room now. Like I said, not sure which way I would (will) put them but I like the knurled surface like my woodcraft race pegs.

Bandit400man 12-07-2012 03:11 AM

The hardware that comes with them appears stainless steel. I just wish that the middle bar thing was too...but time will tell how they hold up. If they fail, you can be sure I'll be on here posting a follow up LOL.

And yeah smokinjoe the fit and finish is excellent, it really is. They look twice the price...just wish I could actually test them! Curse NE weather!! I wanna live in Cali again! Wait, ...no I don't...LMFAO!!

badboyrr 12-07-2012 06:54 AM

Man! Those look nice, well made.

Stephan 01-05-2013 10:54 AM

can you post the link where to purchase on ebay store? Looks good.

Bandit400man 01-30-2013 03:27 PM

Hey guys!
NOT gonna post a link...these are junk :(...they bent after just a few rides..grrrr...I'll post pics soon...

Then I gotta figure out a way to either rebuild and weld...or just go the Buell peg route...stay tuned.

Bandit400man 01-30-2013 04:01 PM

8 Attachment(s)
OK so here's the photos...

First, the clutch side peg:

Attachment 23947

Then the brake side. Oddly though, its not as bent?:

Attachment 23948

At first it looked the screw was bent:

Attachment 23949

Attachment 23950

Attachment 23951

But then once I took everything out, I realized that the peg itself was bent...like, WTF? Really? Damn that's gotta be some cheap-azz aluminum! Take a look at the threads...its like the steel screw deformed the thread under weight:

Attachment 23952

Attachment 23953

Attachment 23954

So now what? Find another peg with the same thread; maybe...well, most likely a longer (and higher strength) screw needed?
This totally blows cause it looks freakin sweet...but its most likely salvageable with enough care and if I can convince the machinists at work to fab up another one...

So there ya go. Chinese adjustable foot pegs? Failure! But my Chinese brake/clutch levers are holding up nicely ;)

Wicky 01-30-2013 04:09 PM

A longer bolt after retapping the thread? as it is only secured by what looks like half-an-inch into the footpeg.

8541Hawk 01-30-2013 04:11 PM

Well if they were mine I would have a set of pegs made up and have whatever the common metric size threads for that size hole tapped.

Then pick up so good quantity hardware to bolt it together.

matt365 01-30-2013 04:21 PM

Bandit400man, pop off the outside cover so you can get a better idea of the guts of the peg. I wouldn't doubt its just a threaded collar inserted into the peg. Maybe theres alot of slop in there. If it was one solid piece of aluminum, I couldn't see how it would do that with the threads???

1971allchaos 01-30-2013 04:25 PM

Well, That is just grand.... I ordered two sets of these, for my brother, and father(Test RAT bikes)... Seeing this addition to the thread is poor..

I suspect -I will follow the suggestions of BETTER quality hardware...

Bandit400man 01-30-2013 04:55 PM

1971allchaos-LOL yeah sorry dude...somebody hada test them out, and at least I fessed up and posted the results...

I suspect if your lighter than I (@195lbs) you shouldn't have too much a problem. BUT, if you use longer hardware to begin with this may be avoided. Like Wicky said there's only about a 1/2" contact, if that. AND the threads are much deeper to take what looks like @ an 1" or so...

Matt, I'll see if I can pop out that center cap now...

matt365 01-30-2013 05:01 PM

you could tap it and helicoil it then, and use a longer bolt?

Originally Posted by Bandit400man (Post 348545)

Matt, I'll see if I can pop out that center cap now...

nice.

Bandit400man 01-30-2013 05:05 PM

Dude great idea!

Bandit400man 01-30-2013 05:14 PM

Cant get that damn cap out without banging the shit outta it and causing a ruckus in my apartment LOL dude downstairs was like "who's knocking on the door?" lol

Another day...

matt365 01-30-2013 05:23 PM

ah well, at least ya tried!

keep us posted

Upland111 01-30-2013 10:24 PM

These look very similar to the Cycle Pirates 360 pegs I have. More cost but I have about 4,000 mi. thus far and no problems, in case you decide to go a different route. I know others here use them as well, as stated in past threads and as you are probably already aware. Here is a pic from their web site.
CyclePirates.com - Specializing in Custom Sport Bikes, Parts, and Service

smokinjoe73 01-31-2013 06:35 AM

Bandit, it really looks like you can just beef up that bolt to like a #8 and drill and rethread the hole & be back in business. I have had the same thing happen on my woodcrafts, albeit on a 100mph crash, but you can fix that.

Check out fastenal or mcmaster-carr for the bolts. Real class operations.

Oh and again, you did this for the greater good, so thanks. Kind of like we all should share our vitories and defeats so we all learn.

Like that time I swapped my "blown" motor but it turned out to be a tank of diesel making it smoke.

Bent peg is easier.

Bandit400man 01-31-2013 11:02 AM

Oh jesus somkinjoe! That is crazy, how'd you wind up with diesel in the tank?! Wait, almost did that to my car, then thought, damn this nozzle is big! LOL

And Upland111, those do look exactly the same, albeit beefier...almost bought them till I realized I had to get the pegs separately...I'm just that cheap LOL.

But, good news.
Talked with the wonderful machinists here at work and they're gonna enlarge the thread from M8-1.25 to 1/4-28 I think...also install an 1-1/2" L screw to max out the thread engagement.

And if you see that little boss on the peg that the thread goes into? He's gonna turn that down completely flat to give it more surface area to lock into place better, less chance of tilt.

Either way if I find myself going to Daytona Beach for bike week this season, I'm bringing the old pegs as spares.

I'll post follow up pics and all in a few days when its done...prolly Monday...

smokinjoe73 01-31-2013 11:08 AM

No need to use the Saviours name in vain, I get the point.

Take pics of your mods. My buddy the machinist constantly finds stuff "wrong" with my bike & fixes it. Most recently my single sided swingarm linkage.

captainoi666 01-31-2013 12:55 PM

Hi Banditman,

Originally Posted by Bandit400man (Post 345816)
So I ordered these foot pegs after seeing them on Fleabay and previously discussing them, and other options a few weeks ago. So here they are, as they arrived from Hong Kong.

How was the price of the foot pegs?

I bought the vario footpegs for my Hawk in Germany at the company Thurn Motorsports for 115 € (156 US $). The vario foot pegs are eight way adjustable and have three different long side arms (hope, this is the right word for it :)) with 0.98, 1.18 and 1.97 inch. The quality is very high. Now the knee angle is very kompfortabel. Don't want to miss the vario foot pegs.

Cheers Buk

http://www.uni-due.de/~ydz250/Vario_...rio-Gelenk.jpg

http://www.uni-due.de/~ydz250/Vario_...ariopegs_1.jpg

http://www.uni-due.de/~ydz250/Vario_...ariopegs_2.jpg

http://www.uni-due.de/~ydz250/Vario_...ariopegs_3.jpg

Bandit400man 01-31-2013 01:48 PM

Hey captain those do look real nice...even better than the cycle pirate ones...but come at a cost, like everything else...you get what you pay for Lol
BTW these cheapys from Asia only cost 50 bucks

NHSH 01-31-2013 01:55 PM

These are all nice foot pegs and I have a set myself that I don't use right now.
I don't know about you guy's, but they all have one common little issue, that did bothered me personally, and it could be just me... when you going for more than few hour trip, you do feel vibrations allot more without having the rubbers on the pegs and eventually it feels annoying to me... I would like to hear your take on this as well.

matt365 01-31-2013 02:29 PM

NHSH, I'd agree on that. Had a set of cheap-o chinese anodized footpegs on mine for a while. Combat boots with thick treads were alright, but if I wore race boots or riding boots the thin sole made it pretty buzzy.

Bandit400man 01-31-2013 07:41 PM

Hmmmm...all good things to consider and look out for...

Maybe I could jam some gel hand grips on there LOL

Upland111 01-31-2013 10:12 PM

Just an FYI, regarding the vibration level. Personally I have had Zero problem with the Cycle Pirates, as I have stated in other threads. It was actually a nice surprise because I was thinking it could be an annoyance, but wasn't. I wear the Tourmaster Solution 2.0 Air boots, but the boots are nothing special regarding the soul, so far as I can tell.
Maybe it's the fact I am so distracted by the fun I am having while twisting the grip, that I don't notice it.... : )

Upland111 01-31-2013 10:16 PM

Woops..... misspelled a word. That would be "SOLE", not "SOUL", the second one referring to what's inside us and our Superhawks...Please excuse

NHSH 01-31-2013 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Upland111 (Post 348613)
Woops..... misspelled a word. That would be "SOLE", not "SOUL", the second one referring to what's inside us and our Superhawks...Please excuse

You could have just edited your post :)

Bandit400man 02-04-2013 02:23 PM

^Haha do that all the time!

So Mike the man machinist came thru for me....got some 1-1/2" L 1/4-28 thread screws from MSC and turned them on a lathe for a perfect fit. He even beveled the heads for a custom look, and gave a nice shoulder to the screw. Fits tight an snug, almost locks into place! Should have pics posted tonight if I have time...sitting in the free tax prep waiting room now...shoot me lol