SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Modifications - Cosmetic (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/)
-   -   Anyone ever Powdercoat their Oil Pan? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/modifications-cosmetic-34/anyone-ever-powdercoat-their-oil-pan-33188/)

thedeatons 05-11-2015 08:01 PM

Anyone ever Powdercoat their Oil Pan?

Never had the oil pan off... Not sure if their are any weird orifices for samd to get into, or if its just a big pan... ??

Help?

Anyone have any pictures of the inside of the Superhawk oil pan?

James

thedeatons 05-11-2015 08:02 PM

Can a moderator please fix my ignorance in improperly spelling the title of the post?

James

scottiemann 05-11-2015 08:05 PM

come to think of it, I have an extra oil pan laying around lol... give me 2 minutes and I'll have a pic for you

scottiemann 05-11-2015 08:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here you go james, and yes I do plan on doing a WHOLE LOTTA powdercoating to every engine cover, frame, swingarm and subframe next winter...

Attachment 18760

Attachment 18761

thedeatons 05-11-2015 09:06 PM

Hmm... Those three cylindrical towers look troubling... Does it look like sand can get caught in there?

James

scottiemann 05-11-2015 09:14 PM

The first cylinder (to the oil filter) is a straight shot to the center of the oil filer, the second is held in by a C clip and can be removed and goes to the lip of the filter, the third looks like it meets up with the second...

And no, with proper cleaning there should be no sand traps in the oil pan

thedeatons 05-11-2015 09:49 PM

Thanks!

E.Marquez 05-11-2015 10:05 PM

Powder coat? no I would not, it is an insulation. Unless your endstate is to keep heat in the oil powder coating is counter productive.
Anodize? sure.
Paint or PC? NO I would not.. unless you are in a highly corrosive riding environment or riding in cold temps were you WANT heat retention in the motor.

kenmoore 05-12-2015 03:02 AM

I painted my sump with good old ceramic brake caliper paint!

Been like it for years and no probs thus far.

I only did it for looks!

Black of course, kinda ties in the black swinger and front forks!

hawxter996 05-12-2015 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by E.Marquez (Post 386029)
Powder coat? no I would not, it is an insulation. Unless your endstate is to keep heat in the oil powder coating is counter productive.
Anodize? sure.
Paint or PC? NO I would not.. unless you are in a highly corrosive riding environment or riding in cold temps were you WANT heat retention in the motor.

comes painted from the factory.
im going to have a bead blasted finish on mine.

E.Marquez 05-12-2015 12:48 PM

[QUOTE=hawxter996;386033]comes painted from the factory.
im going to have a bead blasted finish on mine
Comes with a lot of things from the factory we change for the better.
Paint is an insulator, powder coat more so.

If the user don't care about retaining heat in the motor, leave it painted, or add even more insulation to it.
If your looking for ways to shed heat consider a natural finish, anodized finish or there are some high tech coatings that will aid in heat transfer to air.

hawxter996 05-12-2015 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=E.Marquez;386048]

Originally Posted by hawxter996 (Post 386033)
comes painted from the factory.
im going to have a bead blasted finish on mine
Comes with a lot of things from the factory we change for the better.
Paint is an insulator, powder coat more so.

If the user don't care about retaining heat in the motor, leave it painted, or add even more insulation to it.
If your looking for ways to shed heat consider a natural finish, anodized finish or there are some high tech coatings that will aid in heat transfer to air.

the coating could help insulate it from the hot exhaust pipe right next to it.

thedeatons 05-12-2015 01:51 PM

LOL... This thread is funny...

But, it did give me something to think about.

Maybe I could run some "Oil-Wetter" to aid in oil cooling....

James