Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Bike is ready to ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 PM
Squid

2wheel is on a distinguished road
Bike is ready to ride

Hello a few months ago began my journey here and with my new bike. When I was thinking of getting it I asked here for advice and ultimately decided to buy a 2003 wrecked Superhawk for a grand. It had also been left outside for over a year without a cover. it started and ran and the engine and gears seemed strong. After delving into it I discovered two things. There was a fairing stay that had broken off and left a hole in the frame. Also the bike needed ALOT of little things. Here is a list of all the things I have done so far.
-both fork seals and new fork oil.
-plugs
-cam clearance and timing
-Manual CCT, Had to do the timing because my cam chain slipped.
-new grips, throttle sleeve, mirrors, brake lever was bent.
-Changed out the headlight
-changed the R/R for a mosfet from a CBR1000
-changed out the integrated blinker tail light because it didnt integrate no more.
-changed out the thermostat and temp sensor (gauge still doesnt work on the dash, although I did ground the gauge for a second and it does work)
-Cleaned the carbs, put some easy access vacuum hoses for carb balancing, didn't even need to balance the carbs.
-trimmed the tail area
-re routed the seat release, you dont have to use the key there is a small pull lever underneath the seat now. My key was getting bent.
-Minor body work, the tank dent got bondoed and painted but I used a different shade, gotta fix tat.
-cleaned chain, still good.
-new fluids.
-cleaned a little rust
-needs brakes and a few other small things

The thing runs good now and I wanted to thank you all for your help. I havent decided what to do about the hole in the front but I cant really sell it without taking a huge loss or spend $300-$900 swapping the frame or finding a welder. Im gonna ride it for now. It has been an adventure and I couldn't not have done it without referencing this forum, so much good info here. Thanks!
I did this as cheaply as possible, I still spent around 500 bucks to get it to this state. By no means a show bike, just an every day ride!

My bike as it sits

Name:  front_zpsscrksh9o.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  81.7 KB
Name:  ssside_zpsyugtj6pk.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  83.5 KB
Name:  backend_zps3rqkiyby.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  136.4 KB

Name:  sjlss_zpsrwb0qwtn.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  161.1 KB
Name:  rr_zpsjbzibiyv.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  191.2 KB

Before I bought it

Name:  beffff_zpswxopxrrx.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  205.6 KB

Last edited by 2wheel; 05-07-2017 at 10:59 PM. Reason: things
Old 05-08-2017, 01:24 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Well done mate,

Now get out and enjoy it.
Old 05-08-2017, 05:27 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Agree! Nice job, now get to know the bike and you won't be thinking of resell issues. They are very reliable machines when taken care of.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:03 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Well done. If you can fine someone with a twisted frame to can cut out the part that broken on yours then you just need a talented welder to tig it back in place. Mind you the steering head bearings will then need to be changed. For now I recommend some gaff or duct tape and cover the hole as the back side of the bearing are susceptible to dirt entering through the opening...
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Agree! Nice job, now get to know the bike and you won't be thinking of resell issues. They are very reliable machines when taken care of.
This bike is great, I love it. The torque is so nice for city riding and that's the majority of my riding. I love this bike!! The clip ons are too low for my liking though. The handling is great and it so skinny! My first bike was a Suzuki VX800 and that was a great albeit underpowered bike but I loved the low end and skinniness. The superhawk is like it's big better looking brother. My previous bike was a FZ1 and while it handled ok and the top end was screaming I just appreciate the superhawk so much more. I have found a bike that I want to keep for a long time.
Old 05-08-2017, 07:02 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Fastguy59
Well done. If you can fine someone with a twisted frame to can cut out the part that broken on yours then you just need a talented welder to tig it back in place. Mind you the steering head bearings will then need to be changed. For now I recommend some gaff or duct tape and cover the hole as the back side of the bearing are susceptible to dirt entering through the opening...
Hey thanks for the tips, I will be in the lookout for a twisted frame. This seems like the way to go.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Hmmm. Apparently the hole left by crashing the faring stay is somewhat common. I would not have thought that.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...sh-lever-5145/
Old 05-08-2017, 11:01 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
Hmmm. Apparently the hole left by crashing the faring stay is somewhat common. I would not have thought that.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...sh-lever-5145/
When I first discovered this a day after I brought the bike home I was absolutely crushed, a hole in the frame! I thought I was done but it is a common thing and everyone told me that it's not that bad, to ride it and it would be fine. I am probably going to get it welded at some point but it isn't the absolute disaster that I thought it was.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:09 AM
Squid

ae29 is on a distinguished road
i reckon hard putty and spray paint would conceal that hole