SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   New in town (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/new-town-32321/)

I wanna go FAST! 07-12-2014 08:11 PM

New in town

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,

My name is Terry im 27yo guy from south florida. I just bought my first sport bike, a 1998 vtr1000 Firestorm with 20k miles on it. Here she is

Attachment 22573

Attachment 22574

Attachment 22575

I started riding about 6 months ago on a 95 honda magna vf750. I just bought the vtr1000 about a week ago an I'm looking to do some cosmetic modifications to it as soon as possible. I was thinking LED turn signals, HID headlight, some LED ground effect lighting, cell phone mount, I want to put some small speakers and an amp and hook my phone up and play music while i ride ;)

Get it looking sharp and then I would like to do some performance modifications. I dont know very much about bikes. I have asked around my friends and I have been told get some pipes and a power commander, other than that I have no clue so any input would be much appreciated!

Well, that's all I got! Thanks for reading!

erno 07-12-2014 08:24 PM

Welcome aboard mate,purchased the fastest color as well.
First mod I would do is the cct's (cam chain adjusters,go to manual ones),if they let go your up for a complete engine rebuild.The cct's aren't to dear around $100 mark + labour.
Then your regulator rectifier,they werent the best on the earlier models.
Forget about your power commander,the vtr's have carbies.
The guys over there will steer you on the right path.

cheers

Wolverine 07-12-2014 08:25 PM

Welcome to the forum Terry. Cool pics!

The power commander is for fuel injection, which the VTR does not have. Looks like you'll have to find someone to tune your carbs, or maybe not. A set of slip-ons won't require you to change them. Is it optimal, no but you might not notice a difference.
Click here. There is a lot of useful info just a click away.

I wanna go FAST! 07-12-2014 08:31 PM

Nice! Thanks guys! I have a lot of homework to do when it comes to this bike.

RoadManiac 07-13-2014 10:12 AM

speakers on a motorcycle ? :confused::rolleyes: it's not a harley road glide or something
put some aftermarket pipes on it.... thats all the music you need on your SH

Wolverine 07-13-2014 10:19 AM

I have to agree with maniac on this one. Get a decent pair of in helmet speakers or something.
Motorcycle-Helmet-Speakers-Buying-Guide

insulinboy 07-13-2014 10:32 AM

I have this helmet in Matte Black
BILT - Techno Bluetooth Full-Face Motorcycle Helmet - Bluetooth - Helmets - Street - Cycle Gear

Its very nice. Flip down sun visor behind the main visor so you can have both a tinted and clear visor in the one helmet and not worry about getting stuck out at night with only a tinted visor. Bluetooth connects to the phone so I can listen to GPS, pandora, ect. you can connect to other helmets so if you're out ridding with a buddy you can communicate to each other at about a quarter of a mile apart.

Wind noise is a little on the louder side on the helmet, but with all the pluses it has going for it especially at the price point its at I can live with it. Plus when I go to retire the helmet the bluetooth system can come out of it and go into a nicer blue tooth ready helmet

kenmoore 07-14-2014 12:14 AM

Nice clean looking bike.

The first thing to do is the Cam Chain Tensioners!

They are a must and there is plenty of info on here about them.

As for speakers, couldn't agree more with the other guys.

Welcome and enjoy your new bike.

I wanna go FAST! 07-14-2014 11:48 AM

But look how cool they are!

I live in miami. The night life down by the beach cruising the blvd... I need a sick LED light scheme and some music.

I wanna go FAST! 07-14-2014 11:51 AM

I also want to mount my phone like this

RoadManiac 07-14-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by I wanna go FAST! (Post 375982)
But look how cool they are!

Elegant Sportbike Motorcycle Speakers - YouTube

I live in miami. The night life down by the beach cruising the blvd... I need a sick LED light scheme and some music.

Poser :brownnoser:!!!!:lame:
the hawk doesnt need this crap, although i like angel eyes
if you just want something to show off buy a stretched busa all blinged out just like all the other posers.
but he each their own

smokinjoe73 07-14-2014 03:17 PM

Welcome to here.

I have to be fair and warn you that riding 6 months on a magna preps you little if at all for a VTR. It is not a beginner bike and can easily spit you off before you know it.

I strongly recomend AGAINST putting speakers on a superhawk. I promise you dont have time to look down and play with a sound system while riding. I dont care what every other squid on the street is doing.

It is a quick path to the ER (if you are lucky).

I would also say you are not a canditate to look to up performance on a bike that you cannot even come close to riding anywhere near its limits.

No offense but even saying you want to mod a literbike before learning how to even ride it is the definition of squid.

Riding a sportbike takes 110% of your attention and focus at every second. If you dont want to devote that then really you shouldn't ride it because it will kill you dead.

Sorry to give a harsh introduction but after 9yrs dirt riding then 25yrs NYC year round street riding and 14 years racing that is my honest opinion.

Besides all that, have fun. And the best performance mod you can do it between the seat and handlebars and in your helmet.

7moore7 07-14-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 375993)
Welcome to here.

I have to be fair and warn you that riding 6 months on a magna preps you little if at all for a VTR. It is not a beginner bike and can easily spit you off before you know it.

I strongly recomend AGAINST putting speakers on a superhawk. I promise you dont have time to look down and play with a sound system while riding. I dont care what every other squid on the street is doing.

It is a quick path to the ER (if you are lucky).

I would also say you are not a canditate to look to up performance on a bike that you cannot even come close to riding anywhere near its limits.

No offense but even saying you want to mod a literbike before learning how to even ride it is the definition of squid.

Riding a sportbike takes 110% of your attention and focus at every second. If you dont want to devote that then really you shouldn't ride it because it will kill you dead.

Sorry to give a harsh introduction but after 9yrs dirt riding then 25yrs NYC year round street riding and 14 years racing that is my honest opinion.

Besides all that, have fun. And the best performance mod you can do it between the seat and handlebars and in your helmet.

I don't think he's riding it- did you see the Flordia part? Better get a stretched swinger, some chrome bits, and a tacky airbrush job on the thing. No sense in keeping it rideable, otherwise it will get laid down in their one corner.

Barron 07-28-2014 06:11 AM

Hi Buddy,

Welcome!!

Oh and sorry to hear bout the accedent you had... how did it happen?

Also, if you are in Florida, howcome your bike is a "Firestorm"?

All the best with the repairs man.

Cheers