SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   My VTR (2012 edition) (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/my-vtr-2012-edition-28225/)

mikstr 05-06-2012 03:49 PM

My VTR (2012 edition)

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 24822
Attachment 24823

New since last year:
- carbon fibre hugger
- stickers removed
- Braketech Axis Cobra rotors (stock size) with Vesrah SRJL pads
- high-mount position for Akrapovic cans
- HRC ignition
- modded airbox (4.5mm shim under filter, hole cut into plasctic shround underneath to allow air entry)
- re-timed cams (more overlap)
- new DLC-coated tappets
- Krankvent sump vent (applie partial vacuum to sump for reduced pumping loss)
- Thurn Motorsports billet brake pedal
- Proton flush-mount turn signals
- carbon frame covers
- Ohlins steering damper
- black stickers on fork lowers
- removed "third eye" and replace it with mesh

and surely a few other things I am forgetting.....

I will be getting it on the dyno shortly but the changes made to powertrain since last year have really awakened the engine.... I am very, very happy with the bike :)

captainchaos 05-06-2012 05:41 PM

Congrats that sure is a beautiful beast you have there.

CrankenFine 05-06-2012 06:15 PM

The rear rotor looks super hi tech. Nice ride!

matt365 05-06-2012 06:31 PM

Nice bike, as always Mikstr.

Whats the deal with the seat cover sticking up like that at the back?

GTS 05-06-2012 06:52 PM

wow that thing is pretty impressive!

rz_racer_69 05-06-2012 08:01 PM

Beautiful.

mikstr 05-07-2012 05:45 AM

Thanks guys. I am happy with the looks, but mroe importanly, ecstatic with the way it runs.

I must admit that I was somewhat disillusioned last spring and the early part of the summer (immediately post-rebuild) as the engine, while it pulled nicely, didn`t live up to my expectations (was putting out 122 bhp and 77 lb-ft at rear wheel then). However, with the cams re-timed (from 107/110 lc for intake and exhaust respectively to 104/108), dlc tappets, HRC ignition and few airbox mods this spring the thing now hauls in a serious way. I can honestly say I am truly satisfied with every aspect of the bike.

cheers

mikstr 05-07-2012 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by matt365 (Post 331774)
Whats the deal with the seat cover sticking up like that at the back?

not sure tbh, it has always done that (with the Sargent seat). It annoys me and I have spent a bit of time trying to fix it, perhaps now with everything else done I can get around to fixing it for good (or perhaps I`ll just go riding).....

pigwings 05-07-2012 02:58 PM

VTR

nice

CrankenFine 05-07-2012 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 331793)
not sure tbh, it has always done that (with the Sargent seat). It annoys me and I have spent a bit of time trying to fix it, perhaps now with everything else done I can get around to fixing it for good (or perhaps I`ll just go riding).....

It looks like the rear locating tab from the cowl is missing. I have a Sargent and mine does not stick up. But I agree it wouldn't keep me up at night either. ;)

matt365 05-07-2012 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 331827)
It looks like the rear locating tab from the cowl is missing. I have a Sargent and mine does not stick up. But I agree it wouldn't keep me up at night either. ;)

Yeah, not that big of a deal. I'd probably just take off the seat cover if it bugged me enough.

alot of time and effort into your Firestorm Mikstr. With the way Quebec does insurance and plates on bikes, I can see why you made the VTR the way you wanted it, instead of just getting something else.

Beautiful machine.

mikstr 05-07-2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by matt365 (Post 331837)
alot of time and effort into your Firestorm Mikstr. With the way Quebec does insurance and plates on bikes, I can see why you made the VTR the way you wanted it, instead of just getting something else.

Truth be told, the enlightened souls (so-called experts) who dreamt up this entire tiered license plate scheme had classified the VTR in the sport category the first year of the new system (leaving me in a bit of a quandary as to what to do with the VTR, sell it or keep it - two buddies who also had them sold theirs). Thankfully, the braintrust came to their senses shortly thereafter (squids don't ride VTRs.... big news there!) and it now falls under the standard category...... whew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is one reason for the bike's evolution, the other (more important) is my long-held desire to mod the hell out of a vehicle and make it the best I could for my use. I am oh so close (or right there) now.....

alive226 05-07-2012 05:57 PM

Looks Great!

matt365 05-07-2012 06:30 PM

The VTR is still blacklisted with most insurance companies in Ontario... Shitty that its in the same class with modern 1000cc supersports.

Insurance companies are brutal here.

GSXR1000, 160hp...

VTR1000F, 100hp, if we're lucky, lol... (yours doesn't fall into that category! :) )

mikstr 05-07-2012 06:50 PM

More so-called experts at work..... Having lived in Ontario for most of my life, I remember very well how it worked/works there too....

drake 05-21-2012 05:52 PM

awsome - awsome ride

mikstr 05-21-2012 06:04 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

I fixed a few things since the pics were taken, namely got the seat cowling to sit properly and finished the blacking out of the fork lowers (the silver lines present in the pics are now gone). Exhaust hangers are equipped with blue titanium bolts, with anodized blue aluminum spacers holding them off the subframe......

True to myself, I have also been working away on the less obvious stuff (airbox mods....), the grin-producing elements (and happy to report my work is bearing fruit).....

nnjhawk02 05-21-2012 06:12 PM

Since I'm sure U guys still get chilly up there - do U have heated grips? If not, Y?

I was spoiled by riding old R-type Beemers b4 the VTR & love the heated grips - I have Hot Grips.

Awesome Moto as well

Lastly. I love Montreal - I rode up there (not w/ VTR - the ECU crapped out just b4 that trip) for '10 F1 race.

mikstr 05-21-2012 06:25 PM

It was 80 degrees here today (great for riding). I don't have heated grips although I have wired up a hook-up for heated gloves should the need arise. Also being a snowmobiler, I have a good supply of quality gloves and they usually suffice when the mercury dips.

matt365 05-21-2012 06:37 PM

"Since I'm sure U guys still get chilly up there"

lol... You do know that as soon as you cross into Canada, the temperature instantly drops. :)

It was like 85` here yesterday. Canada is crazy for temperature swings... I'll give you that!

Mikstr, other than regular maintenance items, ever had anything crap out on your VTR? Ever gotten stranded? Any wrecks with it?

mikstr 05-21-2012 06:46 PM

I had a rear wheel bearing crap out once on my PVM rear wheel (had to have my gf come pick up w150km from home with a rented truck....). It took out the sprocket carrier on the way out. I had another machined and all has been well since. Other than that, a ripped fuel petcock diaphragm had the bike surging and cutting out (not a welcome event when on the 401!!!!!). Thankfully I made it home but suffice to say it was an eventful trip.

Other than that, nothing (I have ridden well over 100,000 miles with it). Of course, I have done preventive maintenance/replacement of items such the R/R and CCTs over the years precisely to prevent falling prey to such misfortune.

I have to add that I had the engine totally rebuilt 18 months ago, not because it needed it (mechanic said the internals were pristine) but because I was looking for a bump in power and had accumulated a bunch of speed parts over time and they were itching to go in (lol).....

My ownership experience has been wholly pleasant.

matt365 05-21-2012 08:13 PM

Nice. Good to hear its been essentially problem free.

I've got a VTR parts bike sitting in my shed, looks like I may never need it, lol.

Heres hoping.