SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   My new Ride!! (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/my-new-ride-28654/)

kardiac996 06-27-2012 01:38 PM

My new Ride!!

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to Introduce my self as a new superhawk owner! I have 4 years under the belt with an F4i and cannot believe the change in ride of a Vtwin. I'm loving everything about this bike.

Just purchased this 98 Superhawk in PA a few days ago and shes mostly stock which is incredible. 19k miles and pretty well kept, a few nics and scratches here an there. Tossed a pic up there for all to see.

New handgrips are on there way and currently looking to do a two Brothers setup and Corbin solo seat with Cowl.

Btw I appreciate the knowledge you all have put into this forum. I have learned a lot about this bike before purchase and commend those who are taking the time to share their experiences. I'm stoked to be in the community!

Happy Riding

HRCA#1 06-27-2012 02:02 PM

Welcome aboard +1 on the color!! I used to live in southeastern PA, great roads back there and down thru Del and Maryland and West by god Virginia!

kmm996 06-27-2012 02:22 PM

Welcome.

nnjhawk02 06-27-2012 02:31 PM

Good Luck

Depending upon ur size - meaning weight - I would suggest replacing suspension - if its OEM. Most SBs are set for someone about 170lbs.

It was the mod I ever did

herbvtr1000f 06-27-2012 03:34 PM

Good looking bike.

tbartley 06-27-2012 03:42 PM

Welcome to the forum, kardiac996, and congrats on your nice looking bike. If you like to wrench on your own stuff...this is a good place to be. :cool:

kardiac996 06-27-2012 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by nnjhawk02 (Post 336551)
Good Luck

Depending upon ur size - meaning weight - I would suggest replacing suspension - if its OEM. Most SBs are set for someone about 170lbs.

It was the mod I ever did

Yea I read a lot about this on here i'm 200lbs and will have to explore that option as I can tell the bike gets a little grungy in a hard corner. I appreciate the suggestion!

Im def looking into doing work on my own.. I like to get my hands dirty. The VFR tank swap looks promising as the roads out here are long and beautiful and longer rides are pure truth.

Have you all seen the Ogio No drag Mach series back packs? I just picked one up and its crazy awesome for commuters.

kardiac996 06-27-2012 06:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks all for the welcome, here is one more of her.

Btw the puddle underneath isn't from the bike haha.

Wolverine 06-27-2012 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome!! LMK when you wanna gtg for a ride. I'm right on rt15 10 miles north Gettysburg!

Hoovey and I just did a 100 mile loop that was awesome. If you don't know any roads "up here", you're in for a treat. ;)

Attachment 24502

kardiac996 06-27-2012 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine (Post 336564)
Welcome!! LMK when you wanna gtg for a ride. I'm right on rt15 10 miles north Gettysburg!

Hoovey and I just did a 100 mile loop that was awesome. If you don't know any roads "up here", you're in for a treat. ;)

Sounds awesome bro, nice Bikes! I'm out of Hagerstown MD about 2 miles from PA border greencastle PA area. I got the bike out of Allentown and 81 had some breathtaking sights. Id love to get to know the area you have discovered.

Shoot me a PM Ill hit you with my number and we can connect up.

smokinjoe73 06-27-2012 06:46 PM

Its always nice to have cool new members who dont come on with outrageous claims and ghetto rhetoric. (sorry SH forum inside joke)

Welcome on kardiac.

rz_racer_69 06-27-2012 08:17 PM

:wheelie::welcome:

Welcome to the party!

captainchaos 06-27-2012 08:25 PM

Welcome aboard!!!

maniac2313 06-27-2012 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 336570)
Its always nice to have cool new members who dont come on with outrageous claims and ghetto rhetoric. (sorry SH forum inside joke)

Welcome on kardiac.

+1
Welcome I am in the philly area Id be down for a ride also... I am sure you read about th the ccts you may want to replace them sooner than later (weather stockers or manuals) a fresh set is a cheap price to pay compared to bending valves...

NHSH 06-27-2012 10:44 PM

Welcome to the forum and our community ;)

Onomea 06-28-2012 02:53 AM

Aloha, and welcome to the forum. May you find what you seek and more. Ride Well...

kardiac996 06-28-2012 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by maniac2313 (Post 336575)
+1
Welcome I am in the philly area Id be down for a ride also... I am sure you read about th the ccts you may want to replace them sooner than later (weather stockers or manuals) a fresh set is a cheap price to pay compared to bending valves...

Yea this is a good call. I think I have the thread bookmarked, ill go re read it and start the plunge. Thank you for the reminder! Ill have to utilize the possible rainy weekend haha.

Is it a general consensus to also have the PAIR removed? I read that it has benefits but are they strictly benefits when observing an issue with sputtering or backfires? or does removing it serve a greater good?

Thank you,

kardiac996 06-28-2012 06:37 AM

Maniac shoot me your number in a PM we can sync up for a ride!

CrankenFine 06-28-2012 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by kardiac996 (Post 336586)
Is it a general consensus to also have the PAIR removed? I read that it has benefits but are they strictly benefits when observing an issue with sputtering or backfires? or does removing it serve a greater good?

Speaking only for myself, the biggest benefit I observe is less clutter near the carbs & valve covers which makes it somewhat easier when you're trying to reach in those areas for any maintenance.

smokinjoe73 06-28-2012 07:49 AM

The pair is essentially the appendix of the bike. Honda woulda never put it on in a perfect world. It only kinda helps the emmissions at some rpm by putting clean air into the exhaust.

It is worth yanking it as cranky mentioned if only to reduce clutter. Its basicly a mess of useless stuff

7moore7 06-28-2012 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 336593)
Speaking only for myself, the biggest benefit I observe is less clutter near the carbs & valve covers which makes it somewhat easier when you're trying to reach in those areas for any maintenance.

Big +1. It's like taking all the stickers off a new computer. You kinda don't want to because that's how it came and it makes it more OEM "stock", but once removed it's so much cleaner (like the original designers probably intended) and you never look back...

turbotim 06-28-2012 08:14 AM

Good to see another superhawk in MD! I'm in Northern Harford Co. if you want to meet up for a ride. Keep me in the local pm loop. We should ride one big loop that goes through or near everyones town. I'll work on a possible route and let the md/pa guys know. See ya, Tim

kardiac996 06-28-2012 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by 7moore7 (Post 336597)
Big +1. It's like taking all the stickers off a new computer. You kinda don't want to because that's how it came and it makes it more OEM "stock", but once removed it's so much cleaner (like the original designers probably intended) and you never look back...

I appreciate the feedback on this. There is certainly an appeal for a clean non cluttered look. Ill look into doing this then as i'm prepared to do my own work. Thanks Cranky for additional clarification.

kardiac996 06-28-2012 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by turbotim (Post 336600)
Good to see another superhawk in MD! I'm in Northern Harford Co. if you want to meet up for a ride. Keep me in the local pm loop. We should ride one big loop that goes through or near everyones town. I'll work on a possible route and let the md/pa guys know. See ya, Tim

Sounds like a trip to me shoot me a pm lets exchange numbers!

Onomea 06-28-2012 09:45 AM

I de-paired mine when I did my Mccts, since I was in there already and had gotten my block-off plates previously. I took out the whole system. Everything is a lot tidier and as stated by the other members makes it a lot easier to access. My kit came with the plates and hose/airbox caps.

I did not have a lot of deaccel pops running my two bros carbon slip-ons before, but I have none now. Engine braking seems a little more pronounced.

kardiac996 06-28-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Onomea (Post 336608)
I de-paired mine when I did my Mccts, since I was in there already and had gotten my block-off plates previously. I took out the whole system. Everything is a lot tidier and as stated by the other members makes it a lot easier to access. My kit came with the plates and hose/airbox caps.

I did not have a lot of deaccel pops running my two bros carbon slip-ons before, but I have none now. Engine braking seems a little more pronounced.

Good to know! do you happen to remember where you got your kit from? Kits make things simple haha.

Onomea 06-28-2012 10:24 AM

Pair block-off plates Kit.

I got mine (after looking for my paperwork) off a vender on fleabay. Since then I noticed that there was/are a few members on this forum who are selling them.
Mine came from Powder Keg Racing-WI. It came with instructions and was fairly thick.
Jake, the owner was very helpful and friendly.

I was not able to find anyone who still made them in our forum at the time so I bought
outside. I am very happy with them and the install went well, except my micro torque wrench decided to take a dump at the time and I had to tighten by feel. Got a new one the next day and went over the install retorquing everything.

8541Hawk 06-28-2012 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Onomea (Post 336608)
Engine braking seems a little more pronounced.

Blocking the PAIR system will not change the engine braking as it is just injecting air into the exhaust system, though if you run carbon cans, they will last longer last longer. ;)

CrankenFine 06-28-2012 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by kardiac996 (Post 336609)
Good to know! do you happen to remember where you got your kit from? Kits make things simple haha.

There's an excellent PAIR removal thread in the knowledgebase. Forum member Superdutyd makes very good plates very cheap. Anything else like vacuum plugs you can get from an auto parts store or make up from stuff you probably have laying around anyway.

Onomea 06-28-2012 01:58 PM

Thanks 8451H, maybe just less popping but I need to get repacking again. Boy they do let you know when they need it, especially after having ridden the VFR for all these months with its stock exhaust.

I do remember Superdutyd making mod parts. Used some info and writeups that included him in my install along with the pair removal threads. Our threads are a wealth of knowledge and contain little inserts that general instructions do not contain. Along with great pics:).