SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   My 98 Superhawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/my-98-superhawk-26984/)

VThokie412 11-12-2011 12:52 PM

My 98 Superhawk

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, just picked her up yesterday. Trade an 06 DRZ400 stra8t up, I personally think I got the better end of the deal. She's a red 98 Superhawk w/ 14k miles. Only mods as far as I know are Fr/Rr stainless braided brake lines and Kerker slipons (possibly jetted but I doubt it). Bike runs/rides great. Couple things you guys could maybe help me with. First, I have very large feet and my heels touch the exhaust pipes. Can the stock rearsets be rotated to move them away from the pipes or do I need adjustable ones? who makes a nice set of afermarket rearsets? Second, she is a little cold blooded, I have to hold the choke all the way out for a little while or it dies like there is not enough choke. Can I play around with the mixture screw or do you think I will need to rejet. Third, are there any free mods I can do? I plan to remove the pair system, anything else?

The plan is to install an ignition advancer, remove pair, jet kit and velocity stacks. That should keep me happy with the power. I plan to get a nice seat, install a fender eliminator, install reasets, maybe helibars. Does anyone make shorty levers for these bikes?

Anything else I should know about these bikes would be appreciated. I am going to begin searching through the forum and reading up on stuff, any suggestions as to the important things I should look for?

Thanks Guys

VThokie412 01-29-2012 04:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got it registered and cleaned up. Hopefully I will get a nice day here soon to go and ride.

7moore7 01-29-2012 05:32 PM

Looks real nice... haven't seen that exhaust before (but I haven't exactly been an on top of things since day one!)

Look into replacing the R/R and CCT's as routine maintenance items (aka important things as you mentioned). Before you get sucked into a jet kit look at 8541Hawk's "carb setup" thread. There's a couple of *free* improvements in that.

People have found plenty of shorty levers... I think they're compatible with a lot of the CBR stuff. I remember specifically a member having some Chinese ones work pretty well.

You need adjustable rear sets to get away from the pipe.

Other "free" stuff is to shim the rear shock a bit to improve turn in. Also, look into setting your TPS @ 500 ohms. All of this is found in the forum. Plenty of other spendy stuff to do to the bike so if you need more ideas just ask!

Then if you get through all that, grease your muffler bearings and change your blinker fluid: Blinker Fluid [BF-01] - $8.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!

t-dogg 01-30-2012 06:24 AM

Ha! Holy shit, that's legit blinker fluid

zmaniv 01-30-2012 11:51 AM

Don't need the ignition advance