SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   Mile High Hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/mile-high-hawk-31978/)

Trueno 05-01-2014 05:12 PM

Mile High Hawk

3 Attachment(s)
Just picked up my first Superhawk, a long time dream of mine. Been looking since about 2007, decided to pull the trigger when this one found me.

2001 Superhawk 996
Sargent Seat
D&D exhaust
Heli Bars
Smoked Double Bubble
K&N filter (soon to go back to stock)
I believe Dyna-jet jet kit (also going out the window soon)
Braided rear brake line (Front also, not installed)

All stock parts came with the bike also, seat, pipes etc.
She was a one owner with just over 21k on the clock, far cleaner than any other SH available, not a spot on even the motor.
I have put about 500 miles on her so far, only issue is a warm idle "hunt" of about 200-300 rpm. Feeling that a TPS calibration and taking the carbs back to stock, along with throwing the K&N in the trash would be what you guys would recommend.

Jack Flash 05-01-2014 05:56 PM

Congrats ! Very nice looking bike.

tillyhawkrider 05-01-2014 06:07 PM

Congratulations!! A real sweet looking scooter. I know you'll really enjoy it

tillyhawkrider.
Asheville,NC

Wolverine 05-01-2014 06:29 PM

Welcome to the club True. I too lusted over the VTR for several years before the right one landed about 2-3 miles from my house for sale.

Let the mods begin!

ssscottyyy 05-01-2014 10:03 PM

So clean! I wish my bike was in as good of shape when I bought it!

Trueno 05-02-2014 03:17 PM

Thanks guys, those are just crappy cell phone pics, i will get some better pictures this week.
Best part about this bike, the guy did not seem to be a sport bike rider type, i doubt this bike knew what redline was until she was in my hands. Pipes aren't even discolored like some of the comparables that were available locally.
I will admit that I paid more than book, and honestly more than i had intended on for this bike, didn't quite pay dealer price, but really close. Was just so clean when i went to look at it, had to make her mine.

CruxGNZ 05-02-2014 05:50 PM

I see stock CCT's. Might want to put manual CCT's on there or do the "Stopper Mod".

EDIT: Also, if you still have the stock R/R, you will want to look into a MOSFET unit.

CCT's & stock R/R. Those are the two major items that go bad on the Superhawk.

oahu hawk 05-02-2014 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Trueno (Post 372225)
I will admit that I paid more than book, and honestly more than i had intended on for this bike, didn't quite pay dealer price, but really close. Was just so clean when i went to look at it, had to make her mine.

Sometimes you gotta pay when a nice example of anything you've lusted after comes along...congrats, she's a beaut...

ssscottyyy 05-02-2014 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Trueno (Post 372225)

I paid a couple hundred below the KBB...but I'm paying the price for it. The bike was dropped...a lot of paint blemishes...and I'm having to replace the chain, tires, cush drive, air filter, spark plugs...so I'm not paying more than the book haha...oh well. I'll take care of her like she should have been taken care of originally.

CascadeRider 05-02-2014 10:46 PM

Wow.. that is one clean-looking hawk! Nice. However, and I'm surprised nobody else pointed this out, I wouldn't say it's a high miles specimen. :)

Edit: also, I'm dyslexic.

Wolverine 05-03-2014 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 372229)
I see stock CCT's....

http://www.kitestring.ca/wp-content/...mper-Room.jpeg

ROFL!!!

CruxGNZ 05-03-2014 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 372248)

That looks so familiar! What is that from?

RobertLever 05-03-2014 12:24 PM

Welcome Trueno,
Nice looking VTR.
21K is nothing; with care this engine will do well over 100K.
It's better to pay a little more for a fine bike than get a ratty beast cheap!
and it's in the fastest color too!

Trueno 05-03-2014 05:17 PM

I believe with the exception of the listed mods this bike is completely stock, I have a pretty complete maintenance history, no indication of any issues other than a warm idle issue, went to the shop for everything. Never been one to take anything to the shop myself, all upgrades, maintenance and repairs will be made by me from here on out.
Is the R/R common enough of an issue to replace it prior to it being a problem? I wouldn't be thrilled getting stranded, but since it would not per se do any damage if it went out, i may hold off on this, if not a big likelyhood for a bike of this age/mileage.
I do however feel that i really need to get some Mcct's ordered soon, i have not been very gentle with her so far, last thing i want to do is trash a head and piston.
I am finally getting rid of some of the chicken strips the previous owner left on for 3,000 miles.

xeris 05-04-2014 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by Trueno (Post 372271)
I believe with the exception of the listed mods this bike is completely stock, I have a pretty complete maintenance history, no indication of any issues other than a warm idle issue, went to the shop for everything. Never been one to take anything to the shop myself, all upgrades, maintenance and repairs will be made by me from here on out.
Is the R/R common enough of an issue to replace it prior to it being a problem? I wouldn't be thrilled getting stranded, but since it would not per se do any damage if it went out, i may hold off on this, if not a big likelyhood for a bike of this age/mileage.
I do however feel that i really need to get some Mcct's ordered soon, i have not been very gentle with her so far, last thing i want to do is trash a head and piston.
I am finally getting rid of some of the chicken strips the previous owner left on for 3,000 miles.

The R/R can do damage if it goes bad. Melted connector at the R/R, cooked battery, or burnt windings on the stator, and a lot of seemingly unrelated gremlins affecting the way the engine runs as the R/R is going bad.