SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   Meier's 98 restoration (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/meiers-98-restoration-33320/)

Meier Link 06-30-2015 08:30 AM

Meier's 98 restoration

16 Attachment(s)
So this is the condition the 98 was delivered to me in. Top end was in boxes. Carbs completely tore down. I had no clue as to where everything went.

I knew enough about carbs to find a digram and get it all back together.

Attachment 21967

Attachment 21968

Due to it being monsoon season here in Oklahoma at the time I made the strategic move and brought the bike into the house for the rest of the build up.

Attachment 21969

Carb rebuild took a while but finally it came together after much frustration.

Attachment 21970

The tank had heavy damages. A lot of work was put into it to get the dents out and body work the hell out of it.* Took 7 days because I had limited times to work on it outside due to rain.
Attachment 21971

Body work and bondo
Attachment 21972

Primer and more bondo
Attachment 21973

Final primer
[IMG] [/IMG]
http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/s...psi0vgetpp.jpg

Final paint
Attachment 21974

Aftermarket kit came in. Sadly it had no attachment braces or hardware to it . Had to salvage what I could from the old fairings and bought all new hardware.
Attachment 21975

Being the metal head that I am it was a must that spikes were included into the facelift. Rear tag has a custom holder with spikes on it too.
Attachment 21976

I didn't get pictures of the clutch master cylinder rebuild or the finished slave but this is only half of the sludge that was inside the clutch case attach point. Also pulled the rod and gave it a nice mirror polish. Obviously took the bike outside to do this part.
Attachment 21977

Attachment 21978

Back in the house build the back end fairing while putting the final touches on the motor. Also tweaked the shock to a more comfortable ride.
*Attachment 21979

Took a few months but here is the final product. Yes the back end is slammed low but I did take precautions so that I lost minimal loss in manuverability. Seat was redone also with new vinal and padding.
Attachment 21980

Attachment 21981

Attachment 21982

There is a lot more that went into the build but I am bad at taking pictures when they are needed hahaha. Tend to just stay focused at the job at hand.

I want to do more. Eventually I will mod the rear end and wipe the blinkers on the rear into the after market tail light. I want new pipes. But thats a project for another day.

scottiemann 06-30-2015 01:51 PM

Damnit, I can only see 3 pictures, maybe its my shitty phone...

Looks like you got a lot of work ahead of you, keep pluggin away man

Wicky 06-30-2015 02:11 PM

Good work done on resurrecting your VTR but the fairing spikes seem IMO a bit daft.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2...ourbano.it.jpg
Almost as daft...

CruxGNZ 06-30-2015 07:44 PM

The spike don't exactly fit this bike. But to each thier own.

Meier Link 06-30-2015 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
They fit my personality. Metal head. I don't wear rocket rider gear. I'm the one in bandanna, chains, bracers/gauntlets and my leather vest with a pair of riding glasses. Not a full face helmet.

My last bike was a pan head. Also owned / own a shovel head, ultraglide, cbr1000, busa, and an assortment of dirt bikes.

I respect each of your opinions but also think that a bike should reflect the rider too.

Keep in mind this is me
Attachment 21966

scottiemann 06-30-2015 10:51 PM

spikes aint for me but I appreciate your individuality lol... I also appreciate the bud heavy can in your pic, I should get paid for advertisement in my build thread...

And it was my shitty phone, all pics are coming through on my laptop

scottiemann 06-30-2015 10:56 PM

,BTW is that your 4th gen camaro? very clean, I like it

CrankenFine 07-01-2015 03:48 AM

You did a nice job repairing and refinishing all that! Enjoy the ride!
(I have zero patience/talent for body work and painting and sanding so you look like a restoration giant to me)

Meier Link 07-01-2015 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by scottiemann (Post 387958)
,BTW is that your 4th gen camaro? very clean, I like it

It's actually my dad's. I needed access to a compressor and while I was there figured I would get the car in the shot too lol. I love that car. It only has about 40k on it which isn't bad in my books for the year model.

Bud tall boys are my drink of choice. Just have to watch my girlish figure lmao.

Thanks to everyone else.

CruxGNZ 07-01-2015 06:44 AM

I went through the pictures again, and you did do a lot of work. Looks a lot better than when you got it, that's for sure! What does that exhaust sound like? Pretty loud?

Meier Link 07-01-2015 03:41 PM

Anything below 2k rpms the bike is very quite but take it over 2.5k and it gets really loud. It sounds more like a suped up 1200 harley sportster.

I love the way this bike sounds at the higher rpms. I want to go duel exhaust but I am afraid I will loose the growl this bike has.

Meier Link 07-16-2015 07:29 PM

Sad day for me. I had to take the SH off the road and park her for the next 2 weeks. I noticed a oil puddle under my bike and after close examination I found a pin hole in the pan. Going to order the replacement gasket next Thursday. Have a weld shop lined out to fill the hole that Saturday but will have to wait for the gasket to get here before I can put it back together.

Will give me some time to figure out why the bike is running a shade leaner then it should be. Will add pics of the process. Not happy right now. Lost a quart in the last week.

scottiemann 07-16-2015 08:51 PM

no gasket, RTV...

scottiemann 07-16-2015 08:54 PM

and quicksteel .... $15 maybe ;)

Meier Link 07-16-2015 08:57 PM

Thought about that but every time I mention using RTV to make a gasket someone jumps my hind quarters (harley techs on good ole facebook). The pan is about the only thing I haven't tore off this bike yet (go figure) so I am not sure what I am getting into seeing the rear is lowered.

I made a top end carb seal out of gasket maker was quickly told to Trash it. A day later I found the OEM.

Meier Link 07-16-2015 09:04 PM

Also been thinking about making a bolt on steel skid plate. I haven't hit anything on the bike so I am assuming that something clipped it from the road. Weird thing is the hole is on the back of the pan about 4 inches from the drain plug where it rolls back to the top of the pan.

scottiemann 07-16-2015 09:05 PM

I'm saying these bikes dont have an oil pain gasket, RTV IS what is used to make a gasket

Meier Link 07-16-2015 09:10 PM

Got ya. Sorry about the confusion. Like I said wasn't sure what I was getting into. Guess that is going to make life easier. Hopefully the honda shop still has the oil filter in Stock. It's only been 600 miles since the last oil change but the oil is dark already. I expected this seeing the bike set idle in pieces for over a year.

scottiemann 07-16-2015 09:17 PM

save your money on the OEM filter, theres a cross reference thread somewhere here that lists all the compatible oil filters for this bike and your local autozone/advanced etc... usually have deals with a filter and a gallon or more of oil

Meier Link 07-16-2015 09:19 PM

I will have to look that thread up. Thanks. This is looking a lot less painless with every post haha.

Meier Link 07-26-2015 09:28 PM

Too lazy to post pics of the repairs tonight. Spent a few hours friday ripping the exhaust off to get the oil pan out from under the bike. Clearance was an issue but easily over came .

Saturday took the pan to the shop after letting it soak over night in degreaser and what I thought was a pin hole welded up. Turns out it was a 3\4 inch crack on the vein closest to the drain plug. Also sanded off other damages and built them back up to reinforce the pan.

Decided a skid plate needed to be added so I had a 7075 3\8 plate tacked to the bottom of the pan to help distribute any other kinds of damages that might happen.

Pan amd exhaust remounted yesterday. Let the RTV cure until this morning. Decided to go with the 3.25 in oil filter so I had to do a small mod to the under belly farring . I used the oil filter thread that was referenced above to find one that worked.

140 miles today with no leaks. Bikes running like a beast again. Officially putting her back on the road tomorrow

scottiemann 07-26-2015 09:34 PM

glad to hear your up and running again. gotta post pics of that skid plate

Meier Link 07-26-2015 09:42 PM

I will get them up tomorrow. It's a simple skid plate but I feel it will be a much needed mod with the way the bike sits. I actually took a lot of pictures with this repair which I didn't do with the rebuild. Took a pic with a deep socket under the pan beside the kick stand to give an idea of how low this Ride is to thr ground.

Meier Link 08-25-2015 07:51 PM

Done horrible at updating this. Linking in pictures sucks from a phone. So in the last few weeks I have done a mod to the stock shifter lever which took it from the hollow body sloppy peice of turd it was to a solid body and nylon insert/bushing and readjusted the rod ends that connectors to eat up the rest of the slop.

Last Friday I hit a hard spot with the bike. Leaving work I was forced to get on the throttle and in first through third it seemed like I was hitting a Rev limiter BUT at 5k on the tac. On the ride home crusing speeds were rough to put it lightly. I parked the bike for the weekend and this sounds really bad but forgot about the problems I had with the bike. Had a memorial/benifit/funeral I had to put together for saturday for a dear friend that died of a sudden heart attack at 38 and my pain mess for a bone infection in my jaw have my mind in quite the forgetful state.

Anyways. Today I got on the bike forgetting what happened friday and hit one of the highways here. I hit cruising speeds and the bike was running great just seconds before a huge stall that killed the engine at 4 am doing 85mph. I clutched and rolled the bike to the fast lane shoulder and had to choke the bike to get it to turn back over.

I hit the side streets and kept it under 4k and it got me to work and back with no other problems. I pulled the tank and checked the pet cock and it was fine. Opened the air box and to my suprised the plastic boot that connects the rear carb to the box had magically broke the lock tight and backed off both mounting screws to the point where it FELL OFF in the air box.

After screwing it back on and putting everything back together I took her for a ride. High way she ran great. Hit a quite neighborhood and got on it as the front end lifted and rear tire broke loose.

Glad it was an easy fix. Next thing to work on will be to seal up a small exhaust leak that I am hearing coming from the bridge conversion from the cylinders to the single pipe.

Meier Link 08-26-2015 06:51 PM

Apparently my fix yesterday only fixed half of the problems. As I rode into work again today the bike stalled and died yet again. So tonight I pulled the carbs. Everything looked great with the exception of the front carb pet cock. There were 2 small holes in the line. Also found the start of a crack in one of the air lines. I replaced both and put everything back together.

Went for a test ride and everything is a lot smoother. The real test will be the long haul to work tomorrow. This weekend I am pulling the exhaust again and I am going to seal them completely up at all connections.

I will post pics of everything when I get a moment to actually do so.

Meier Link 08-28-2015 05:56 PM

I am at my wits end. I have continually repaired this bike and every turn more things go wrong with it.

I have yet to solve the stall issue that has about gotten me killed on the highway. After the last round of repairs it is still stalling at 3.9 rpms to 4.5 rpms which as we know is cruising speeds.

Today 2 new things happened. 1 I looked down and the low fuel light was flickering during acceleration which it is by no means low on fuel. And as I stopped and parked the bike I came back out moments later to find a pool of coolant puddling under the hawk.

This bike has been off the road more then it has been on and every fix leads to more problems.

I have thought about hanging a for sale sign on it due to my aggrivation but that will not happen but the thought has crossed my mind more then once. I have never had such a troubled bike.

Tomorrow I have a few things I plan on ripping into yet again to see if I can get her stable. I have searched the forum and haven't found the exact problem I have but have found simular and tried the fixes to no avail. Some did fix part of the problems but not the whole. My brain is fried as to what it could be but tomorrow is going to be a long day of me hand tools, a multimeter and some hope.....

Meier Link 11-04-2015 04:16 AM

So the inevitable question of when was answered Friday around 1pm. I was keeping an eye out on the radar and realized a storm from front was moving into the area and was a lot more severe then expected.

I left work 3 hours early to avoid getting caught out in the rain but got caught out in a down pour. I was about a mile from my girls place when the bike stalled in second gear as the electrical cut out and killed the motor. Back tire locked up and with out any time to pull the clutch the hawk went sideways on the wet pavement throwing me off of it.

I slid about 15 feet while the bike slid another 10. Luckily for me I limped away with some road rash and bruising on my left leg and my backpack saved my leather.

Being a mile from my girls place I picked the bike up amd was going to get it there. Riding it was out of the question at this point because of what had happened to the electrical system fouling out and in the wreck some how the large cap on my stator cover got ripped out.

I ended up pushing the bike the mile to her house and had a little help along the way thanks to another rider helping me push for 2 blocks.

Outside of the missing plug the only other mechanical damage taken was the shift lever being bent inwards. Cosmetically the left fairing is toast and the right fairing cracked. Lost a bar end too.

Guess I am adding weather proofing to my list of to-dos for the winter along side another set of fairings.

Hoping to be back on the road in the next week or so.

Meier Link 02-25-2016 05:17 PM

So after last year's accident it's now time to restore the hawk again.

After breaking down the bike again I have decided to do the following:

1: rebuild the slave cylinder
2: new fairings (again)
3: new tires and pads for both front and rear
4: integrated tail lights and secondary rear led blinkers
5: steam line the rear end which I will have to custom make a new license plate bracket
6: led under lighting kit
7: add better functioning mirrors (integrated blinkers)
8: powder coat the tank
9: new grips and levers
10: fork rebuild and alignment
11: custom secondary front lighting with mounting brackets (concealed behind the fairings)
12: new exhaust gaskets and clamps

There's more but that's what's in the works right now. Just waiting on all of the parts to get here.

I have neglected this thread so I will eventually post pictures of everything including the skid plate mod that I did and the shift lever mod.

Hoping to have all the parts in the next week or two.

NZSpokes 02-27-2016 08:25 PM

First time I have seen this thread. My bad.

Tough run of luck on it by the looks.

Props for rebuilding that bike and making it look how you want it.

Meier Link 02-28-2016 08:54 PM

It's definantly a love hate relationship. Hoping she will be back up and running in the next 2 weeks.

I've got it stripped back down to just the lower end of the engine and wheels to do some other unmentioned mods and tweaking. Down fall is I have no way to lift the bike to replace the front and rear wheels so it puts me in a bind.