SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/cruxgnzs-98-superhawk-24772/)

mikstr 11-03-2016 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 399232)
Maybe Max means something else in Italian.

Duh... it's the Australian model, everything is upside down compared to us Northern Hemispherians.......

kenmoore 11-04-2016 01:46 AM

Ha Ha Ha guys,

The Bimota is a major distraction at the moment and I feel bad for neglecting the VTR.

I fitted some new cans last night.

Crux,

Can't wait ! !

CruxGNZ 11-10-2016 06:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I did some work today! Got the carbs, airbox, stock gauges, and exhaust installed. So close to firing it up, I can feel the rumble of the exhaust.

I still need to install the gas tank, HID headlight and associated systems/wiring, fairings and then bleed the brakes and clutch. A few more hours of work left.

One thing I completely overlooked when I took everything to get powdercoated, was the exhaust. The Jardine high mount link pipes and the D&D mufflers have chrome on them. I dont want anything chrome on the bike. So, over the winter, I am having the entire exhaust coated in matte black. The D&D's, I'll have to drill out the rivits and remove the end caps to get coated, but that will give me the opportunity to repack them. I spent all that time making the stock header look great, only to coat it haha

Attachment 21418
Attachment 21419

VTR1000F 11-10-2016 07:47 PM

We're all trying to contain our excitement waiting for you to fire this thing up. It's been a long road. You have to video the event and post it up for us.

Can't say I agree with your placement of the guages, though. I'm not sure your seat will fit over them let alone what kind of visibility you'll have with that location.

CruxGNZ 11-10-2016 08:30 PM

My ass is blind. :)

CruxGNZ 11-10-2016 08:46 PM

A friend asked what I did to the bike. I told him simply "everything". He wanted to know what that encompassed. I told him the entire bike has been modified. Every bearing, every seal, every bolt, everything is new ($$$$). In essence, this bike is brand new. Whatever was carried over, was blasted and powder coated (frame, wheels, sub frame, tripples). The engine after its rebuild is brand new, 0 miles. A couple nights ago I hooked up my Veypor guage and I reset the mileage and engine hours to zero. After all the time I spent building this bike for the second time, this simple task felt great.

It will be cold this weekend, but I hope to fire it up. And, I'll take a video Steve ;)

VTR1000F 11-10-2016 09:48 PM

Looking forward to it.

kenmoore 11-10-2016 11:15 PM

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate,

I am sitting here zooming in on bits of your bike and can't help but smile.

It is absolutely unbelievable, sort of like the VTR that they should have built.

You must be so proud.

The excitement is almost killing me.

You have certainly raised the bar.

As we say here in Oz, "what a Grouse " bike.

It looks better than new!

RedStormJ 11-12-2016 05:09 AM

Crux you better be riding. MY buddy just told me its 27* in new york... Brr...
But on that exhaust its Japanese stainless. Mines already brown. I had it mirror nice... Coat it. No regrets.

If I was where you were Id break intor your garage and put the last bits on it. Im so excited to see such a nice bike in one piece. Just remember zero miles. You may have to tinker. More like WILL. And everything has to break back in. A guy with your profile picture need not the lecture but I shall give it.

its hard to resist on such a great bike hammering it. Especially if she feels right.

CruxGNZ 11-12-2016 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by RedStormJ (Post 399537)
Crux you better be riding. MY buddy just told me its 27* in new york... Brr...
But on that exhaust its Japanese stainless. Mines already brown. I had it mirror nice... Coat it. No regrets.

If I was where you were Id break intor your garage and put the last bits on it. Im so excited to see such a nice bike in one piece. Just remember zero miles. You may have to tinker. More like WILL. And everything has to break back in. A guy with your profile picture need not the lecture but I shall give it.

its hard to resist on such a great bike hammering it. Especially if she feels right.

Thanks man.

About breaking in the engine, I believe in "drive it like you stole it" right when you fire it up. Quite a few people I know or have talked to have done the same with thier motorcycle and car/truck engines and have had longer life and better compresson at high miles than someone who babied thier vehicle for the first 500-1000 miles, like so many people tend to believe. This is just what I have personally seen over the years, and I follow suit and have never had an issue with any engine I have built.

Today, I got the controls completely installed and the clutch & brakes bled. Took a lot longer than I figured. Not one control clamped to these damn DanMotto's. They are supposed to be 7/8". Everything needed a 1/16" piece of rubber to keep it from moving.

I have DanMotto clipons and after the reviews here, I thought I would like them, but I F'ing hate these pieces of crap. They do not clamp on and stay put. Not only that, but the handle itself keeps unscrewing even after I put red Loctite on the threads. I hate 'em. Will be replaced this winter.

Tomorrow, the fairings go on, then the HID headlight w/LED turn signals get installed. Then install the gas tank and then... hit the starter :D

So close!

Stephan 11-13-2016 12:12 PM

I did some research for engine break in, and did mine like this, just my two cents ...

http://i65.tinypic.com/6r7o6x.jpg

RedStormJ 11-14-2016 07:25 PM

CMON MAN! You holding out on us or what. I know you had to take time to wipe my arse and keep me from grenading my bike. But quit holding out! Does she run! Does she run sweet? What does it look like?
I think I can speek for everyone that we all are looking forward to hearing the results.

CruxGNZ 11-14-2016 08:17 PM

Life got in the way. A lot of stuff happening that I'm not in control of. Mainly, I was doing a deck repair and pulling a nail out. I put more and more pressure on the prybar, which is spring steel, and instead of the nail pulling out, the head of the nail ripped off and shot like a bullet into my right eye. Try walking around for five minutes with one eye closed. I have bumped into more door jambs and stubbed my toes more than I can count. Not to mention when I have driven (not the best idea), I keep missing my braking point. Having no depth perception really messes with you. The doc said it's not permanent, but takes awhile to heal.

You have no idea how hard it is to type. I tried using this dragon software for voice control, but there are so very, very many typos. I've been writing and correcting for over an hour now. Hitting the buttons on the keyboard is mostly muscle memory, but half the time it's wrong. But right now, I have nothing else to do but look at the internet and hit up my Roku. Roku private channels for the win!

I'll get back to my Superhawk when I can, safety glasses in tow.

CruxGNZ 11-14-2016 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stephan (Post 399566)
I did some research for engine break in, and did mine like this, just my two cents ...

http://i65.tinypic.com/6r7o6x.jpg

Stephan,
Your graph is almost my way of breaking in an engine. :cool:

Not sure what the "break"'s are about. An engine doesn't recuop like a human does.

kenmoore 11-14-2016 11:34 PM

Hey Crux,

Really sorry to hear about your mishap.

Hope you have a steady recovery. I had a serious accident 35 years ago and to date have had 5 operations on my right eye.

I know what it is like to try and operate with one eye.

Not easy, rest well and get better, the bike can wait.

kenmoore 11-14-2016 11:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hey Crux,

Hope these pics of the Bimota cheers you up !

http://i1000.photobucket.com/albums/...psqf2naamg.jpg

Attachment 21412

Attachment 21413

Attachment 21414

Attachment 21415

Still a lot to do but making progress.

Cheers!

Wolverine 11-15-2016 04:20 AM

Bummer! I can't imagine an eye injury like that. I'm a pansy when i get saw dust in 'em.

Stephan 11-15-2016 10:42 AM

Crux: break means, if I have total run of 40 km, I switch of the engine after 20km, let it cool down a little, and finish the run.

CruxGNZ 11-15-2016 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stephan (Post 399594)
Crux: break means, if I have total run of 40 km, I switch of the engine after 20km, let it cool down a little, and finish the run.

Oh, I understand that. I am just wondering why they are needed. Does it have something to do with heat cycling the new parts inside the engine?

I never heard of giving the engine breaks before, so I would like to learn more about it.

CruxGNZ 11-15-2016 12:17 PM

Kenmoore, that Bimota is coming along nicely! Keep us updated with pictures :cool:

I'm a fan of aircooled engines. So much simpler.

kenmoore 11-15-2016 11:28 PM

Hey Crux,

Unfortunately this engine is not as simple as it seems. Due to the fact that the carbs are not mounted in tandem like the originals were or as this engine originally had a single Webber carby fitted there is no air filter set up except for some shitty oiled pods that starve the engine of air and make it run rich. I need to work out how to mount a remote air filter setup at the front and will have to relocate the oil cooler.

I am thinking of fitting the oil cooler up under the rear with a fan as I have seen some do with VTR radiators so that I can mount the filter in the best possible place to get as much cold filtered air as possible, sort of like a cold air intake system on a turbo car.

Bit of a drama but It needs to be done.

I will post pics if you don't mind, I hope you are on the mend and get to see and hear your bike when you are recovered.

Cheers

Stephan 11-17-2016 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 399596)
Oh, I understand that. I am just wondering why they are needed. Does it have something to do with heat cycling the new parts inside the engine?

I never heard of giving the engine breaks before, so I would like to learn more about it.

It is because surface of new parts is not perfectly seated, there are some high spots creating higher friction and thus high temp there. Break is to cool down these spots until they are there during the break in.

RedStormJ 11-19-2016 09:29 AM

I really thought you lost an eye for a moment. I was relieved you said it wasn't permanent. I have some buddies who have lost eyes in a similar fashion.
By the way on the breaks my father explained it to me best. Mainly the aluminum in the engine heat cycles. Those first few cycles are when the engine is Breaking or wearing in.
What Ive been told: The metal is jagged at first. and during break in either the metal is being broken off in small pieces or in big chunks. Big chunks are bad. And its not big chunks that we can see but microscopic pieces being broken off. Big chunks are bad for compression.

That being said the heat cycling is super important. I have seen large engines IE over 9000cc lock up literally piston seized in cylinder from improper cycling. On the other hand Ive seen small engines under 9000cc run poorly from improper break in.

Our race cars for the formula Vee we usually broke in half at the shop half at the track. We have won a few races so I am guessing this method works.

Best to you crux and wear YOUR DA## GLASSES! I have 10 pair. I even wear mine under my welding mask!

Fastguy59 11-22-2016 01:24 PM

Crux, sorry to hears about the eye, heal up!

kenmoore 11-26-2016 04:29 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here ya go Crux,

Almost finished.

Attachment 21402

Attachment 21403

Attachment 21404

Attachment 21405

Attachment 21406

Just about finished, bit more wiring, oil and filter, carb sync, adjust all controls, and a recheck of all work done.

CruxGNZ 12-03-2016 03:43 PM

Will have to wait until spring of '17 :-(

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 399726)
Here ya go Crux,

Almost finished.

Just about finished, bit more wiring, oil and filter, carb sync, adjust all controls, and a recheck of all work done.

Nice! It's coming along great! :)

Unfortunately guys, my 2016 season is now finished. We're getting 3" of snow tomorrow and the city is dumping literally tons of salt on the roads tonight. So, thats it for me. I just didn't get it done in time. :( Very depressing. But, looking on the bright side, I can wheel the bike into my basment where it's nice and warm to work on installing the new carbon/stainless steel dash and finishing up a few other small items. It will be four months or so before it see's the light of day again.

I'll still update with pictures of the dash and progress of everything else. Man, I really wish I got to fire this beast up and break in the engine. I was so close...

Wolverine 12-03-2016 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 399804)
looking on the bright side, I can wheel the bike into my basement where it's nice and warm

This is a good thing. When it's ready, it's ready. Better to not rush...
I wish I had that option. I have a wood burning stove for my garage but it's been collecting dust for 5+ years now. I con't spring for the correct pipe needed.

kenmoore 12-03-2016 11:58 PM

You could always do what Cheech and Chong did in one of their movies.

Connect a pipe to the exhaust and run it outside, put the bike on rollers and pretend that you are riding it all the while while playing Born To Be Wild.

On a more serious note it's a shame we all need to wait so long to hear your bike running.

I got the Bimota running today , however no spark to front cylinder. Dodgey Italian wiring ! or something I have done.

Keep us posted please.

VTR1000F 12-04-2016 07:17 AM

DISAPPOINTED!

RedStormJ 12-04-2016 07:18 AM

Do what I do man. As Kenmore stated. Cheech and chong it. Id fire it up inside. Hell it wouldnt hurt to at least get the carbs dialed in enough to just fire it up when the time comes.
Engines sound twice as mean inside a small room :D
On a serious note. What a effin bummer... You could always get real anal about anything that needs to shine.
Also just to keep you posted. I still have not had time to balance my carbs... Been getting a business going. I just hope to have the tank on before you fire your bike up again lol.

Wolverine 12-04-2016 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 399806)
Dodgey Italian wiring !

Never.... LOL! :lol:

CruxGNZ 12-04-2016 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 399805)
This is a good thing. When it's ready, it's ready. Better to not rush...
I wish I had that option. I have a wood burning stove for my garage but it's been collecting dust for 5+ years now. I con't spring for the correct pipe needed.

I love heating a place with firewood. Growing up, my Dad's workshop (carpenter) was heated by a small wood stove. My Ma' & Dad's house was heated by a wood stove for about ten years when I was a kid. My Grandparents on my Ma's side raised 14 kids in a house heated by a wood stove. My uncles cabin in the U.P. of Wisconsin is heated by a wood stove. I got very good at splitting wood and carrying it to the stove of most places I went. Whenever I was bad as a kid, my punishment was to split firewood. But, I actually kind of liked it. Whever I live, I'll always have a wood buring fireplace :D

Originally Posted by kenmoore (Post 399806)
You could always do what Cheech and Chong did in one of their movies.

Connect a pipe to the exhaust and run it outside, put the bike on rollers and pretend that you are riding it all the while while playing Born To Be Wild.

On a more serious note it's a shame we all need to wait so long to hear your bike running.

I got the Bimota running today , however no spark to front cylinder. Dodgey Italian wiring ! or something I have done.

Keep us posted please.

Haha! "Dave's not here man." My Dad and I still listen to Cheech & Chong on road trips.

I thought about putting my bike on a dyno my friend has access to and breaking it in, but we would only have access to it one hour at a time. It was too much of a hasle with everything involved.

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 399807)
DISAPPOINTED!

I know, I know!

Originally Posted by RedStormJ (Post 399808)
Do what I do man. As Kenmore stated. Cheech and chong it. Id fire it up inside. Hell it wouldnt hurt to at least get the carbs dialed in enough to just fire it up when the time comes.
Engines sound twice as mean inside a small room :D
On a serious note. What a effin bummer... You could always get real anal about anything that needs to shine.
Also just to keep you posted. I still have not had time to balance my carbs... Been getting a business going. I just hope to have the tank on before you fire your bike up again lol.

Well, that's the plan now. Complete the new dash install, remove the exhaust and get it coated. Since I have to disassemble the D&D mufflers, I'll repack them. To pay for the work on the exhaust, I decided to sell my extra slipons. I have a decent set of Jardine mufflers and a very nice set of Hindle mufflers. I have no idea what either of them are worth. I might drop Captainchaos a line. He could probably get me into the ballpark.

Wolverine 12-04-2016 12:55 PM

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...46&oe=58C84B73

When the riding season is over, it's time to start my other hobby. Modified saws are an addiction! Been heating w/ wood for close to 10 years and like you, did it all my childhood. My 2 most visited forums this time of year are a chainsaw one and firewood hoarders club. I have about 20 cords split and stacked. If the power goes out, we ain't getting cold...

mikstr 12-04-2016 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 399813)
https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...46&oe=58C84B73

When the riding season is over, it's time to start my other hobby. Modified saws are an addiction! Been heating w/ wood for close to 10 years and like you, did it all my childhood. My 2 most visited forums this time of year are a chainsaw one and firewood hoarders club. I have about 20 cords split and stacked. If the power goes out, we ain't getting cold...

Lard tunderin' Jeezus... now that's a saw by!!!!!

kenmoore 12-04-2016 11:56 PM

That thing could feature in chainsaw massacre!

Do you have to get a license for something like that?

xeris 12-06-2016 06:37 AM

Went for a ride yesterday and had to break out my "winter jacket" as the temps were hovering in the high 40's to low 50's. Bike defiantly runs a bit stronger at these temps.
Sunny and dry. I feel sorry for the less fortunate.

mikstr 12-06-2016 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 399822)

Some of us who are not in the "sunny and dry" have other means of keeping busy... like this sweet 2017 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 El Tigre 137... yessir, summer can take its sweet time coming back :)

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/im...945ab0ea58.jpg

RedStormJ 12-06-2016 09:10 PM

Do it man. Get that bike just the way you like. but I could in no way resist roughing it in.

20 cord eh... Thats about a week of my childhood. We heated all winter. I thought it was punishment but most weekends were spent in 0* weather splitting wood. Poor is the word. Hated my dad for it but when you grow up your realize there wasn't but ten gallons of oil in the tank and thats all we could afford. The house had poor insulation everywhere. My room had none before I scored a few rolls off my cousin.

El tigre. I had a 6000. Traded it for an EXT when I got the money. It was all rebuilt but the idiot put a ring on upside down. My dad flipped it over and compression went up. Most dangerous machine ive ever touched. 94 EXT 580 bored to who knows piped and who knows what else. If you punched it the sled point up or bury its self. Good fun.

Fastguy59 12-07-2016 06:08 AM

Boy, oh boy, do I commiserate with you Crux....

xeris 12-07-2016 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 399822)
Went for a ride yesterday and had to break out my "winter jacket" as the temps were hovering in the high 40's to low 50's. Bike defiantly runs a bit stronger at these temps.

My apologizes to Crux for the thread jack. I thought I was in the What Did You Do Today thread.

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 399826)
Some of us who are not in the "sunny and dry" have other means of keeping busy... like this sweet 2017 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 El Tigre 137... yessir, summer can take its sweet time coming back :)

http://cdnmedia.endeavorsuite.com/im...945ab0ea58.jpg

Been there done that (11 years in Alaska). Winter sports are fun, and I miss some of them. The day to day grind of ice, snow, cold and dark got the better of me.