Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

New pic

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
New pic

Here you go gents, took it today. Bike will likely not change much externally from here on in (althoiugh I will likely do the front rotor webbing in black at some point).

Here it is full size for those who care to see it in all its true glory:
http://s784.photobucket.com/albums/y...t=P1130872.jpg

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails New pic-p1130872_small.jpg  
Old 06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Very Nice! I like the drilled heal guards.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
I like it alot! Just my 2 cents, but I like the rotor webbing in blue. Good job.....Superhawk of the month maybe?????
Old 06-18-2010, 08:44 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Very Nice! I like the drilled heal guards.
+1. Looks really sharp and it's really easy to do. I've done a couple sets. Photoshopped the holes to get perfect spacing & the pattern I wanted (think I copied off the ones on a 900rr) and then printed and transferred the pattern onto the heelguards. Center punched the holes and drilled them out.

Bike looks really awesome! Very nice and tasteful. I'm sure it rides just as good as it looks too.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
I love the color
Old 06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Squid

2Smoker is on a distinguished road
I like it alot! Just my 2 cents, but I like the rotor webbing in blue.

+1 I've actually wondered in the past what kind of bike/colour scheme those rotors would pair well with. Safe to say, something very much like yours!!

Keep an open mind, i reckon you'll grow to like them too.

Overall, regardless.. Awesome job personalizing ur Hawk. Must be hard to not believe its the best looking one around?!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
That's some real nice work you have done there Mikstr, the red & blue look fantastic !
Old 06-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alive226
I like it alot! Just my 2 cents, but I like the rotor webbing in blue. Good job.....Superhawk of the month maybe?????
Yeah, he's been holding out... Get in the game mikstr...

Originally Posted by 2Smoker
I like it alot! Just my 2 cents, but I like the rotor webbing in blue.

+1 I've actually wondered in the past what kind of bike/colour scheme those rotors would pair well with. Safe to say, something very much like yours!!

Keep an open mind, i reckon you'll grow to like them too.

Overall, regardless.. Awesome job personalizing ur Hawk. Must be hard to not believe its the best looking one around?!
It's very nice looking indeed... Makes me half reconsider my deciscion to go for GO! not show...
Old 06-19-2010, 04:19 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Nice looking bike! Now bring it across the border and lets go riding
Old 06-19-2010, 05:05 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Nice bike Mick.... !
Old 06-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Back Marker

Bluesuperhawk83 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Yeah, he's been holding out... Get in the game mikstr...

It's very nice looking indeed... Makes me half reconsider my deciscion to go for GO! not show...
reading his sig line makes me think he has GO and Show. My bike is a clean slate he is giving me a few ideas
Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM
MotoGP

Rest assured that while making it look nice has been a goal, the main overriding mission has always been to make it go better. I would readily bet that there are very few VTRs that run better (and after my forthcoming rebuild, there will be very, very , very few that run stronger).....
Old 06-19-2010, 03:08 PM
MotoGP

You wanna bet? I might have accidentally bougt me something that goes up and down and says thump-thump for my rebuilder engine...

And I might have accidentally gotten some other of the parts needed for a straight Stage 2 build...
Old 06-19-2010, 03:29 PM
MotoGP

It also seems that I since the last post have aquired a RC51 SP2 in need of a new fork and fairing... A friend quite literally scared himself half to death... I gave him an offer for a straight swap on a SV650 in running but rough condition that I was going to fix up for the RC sitting on my pickup bed... He said yes... So I guess I'm repairing an RC instead...

Dammit... Now I have more stupid ideas...
Old 06-19-2010, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

Altough I guess I'll have to help him fix up the SV as well...
Old 06-19-2010, 03:44 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Its definitely very sano and I'm sure performs better than most any comparable scoot. I like the drilled rearset heel guards and elimination of the rear brake reservoir, something I've thought about doing for a long time. How much brake fluid do you have in the hose and how is the cap vented?

You ever way it? The wheels got to make it tun lighter too. What rear shock u running? If you need a 5 mm shim, the shock does not have ride height adjustment.

Mine must way 20#s over stock with the case guards and rear rack, not including the ton of electronics/lighting added. Though my 2Bro cans, Tommaselli's are aluminum and loose weight high and rearward. Light wheels got to make a big difference.

Not as light as my GT but light.

What was your airbox mod?
Attached Thumbnails New pic-88-ba-hawk-gt-l.jpg   New pic-88-ba-hawk-gt.jpg  
Old 06-19-2010, 04:56 PM
MotoGP

I haven't weighed it yet but hope to soon. I have a handful of Ti bolts to install as well as the Graves aluminum fairing stay I bought from Budman. By my calculations I should be down about 60 lb from stock.

AS for the shock, I am using the stock shock body but the the piston has been replaced with a Race Tech unit, the spring is from a Vulcan 2000 (lighter rate) and my budd installed a remove reservoir which also gives me low adn high speed compression damping adjustment. AS for a shim, the rear is shimmed about 5 mm at the moment.

In terms of the airbox mod, the snorkel divider has been removed and the inside of it has been carved out as much as possible (intake area is about twice what it was before). I have also siliconed the step on the inside to smooth out airflow. I also drilled two 1" holes (one per side) in the lid just back of the front corners. The last item involves lifting the airdam slightly by using washers to shim it, giving more room for the airflow.

MY last dyno session, with stock airbox and filter had it putting out 113 hp and just over 71 lb-ft. Since then, I have added ceramic wheel bearings, modded airbox, BMC filter, stick coils, new chain, Hyperplates (alum. clutch plates), and ceramic coated the pipe. The changes have really wakened the bike up and my estimate from past results and those of others with similar mods is that it is likely putting out just about 120 hp and 75 lb-ft (not bad for an engine with over 130,000 km on it). The rebuild done (which will see it get 0.5 mm OS JE pistons with moly-coated skirts and ceramic top coat, new valves and tappets with DLC coating, DLC coated piston pins, Carrillo rods and ceramic transmission bearings (where possible), a dynamic crank balancing job, ), I expect to have it pump out low to mid-130s for hp and mid-80s for torque. A FP Shift Star and new shift forks will improve the already good shofting. Yep, there will be faster bikes out there, but few (if any) will be smoother or more fun to ride.

Last edited by mikstr; 06-19-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Oh, buoy! Here we go. Go getum Micky!