SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   CCT and PAIR removal/install - Carb Jet. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/cct-pair-removal-install-carb-jet-29082/)

kardiac996 08-27-2012 08:41 PM

CCT and PAIR removal/install - Carb Jet.

So I followed the instructions in the KB section for doing these procedures. I gotta say im somewhat mechanically inclined and found this to be a relatively straight forward with the KB instructions.

I want to thank all who have put time into building this site as i found it to be very helpful.

After diving into the bike for the first time I tried my best to be thorough and detailed with removal and install. After breaking two valve cover bolts from the PO over torque I was in a jam. Had a buddy come out and back out the broken bits from the threads using his easy out tool. I now own this tool and learned a very cool technique as well.

With his assistance we swapped out both CCT's and removed PAIR. We pulled both valve covers to check timing and I was stoked to see that I was perfect in time on both front and rear. I went the extra effort to pull the front to also get carbs jetted and deep clean and check valves etc...

Everything looked damn perfect and clean. So we put things back together and followed the Jet recommendation of the HRC slide mod and #48 pilots. After a little tuning we found the sweet spot and she rides great. With Jetting and PAIR removal I am re blown away by the new found accuracy in throttle.

So my major service items are now complete and im very excited to not have the doom and gloom over my head from failures.

Thank you all again for the information and time placed into the KB section as I was able to save quite a bit of money and walk away proud and educated.

Im back on the road and its been the longest week ever!

kardiac996 08-28-2012 06:20 AM

Oh we shared a few 6's of Sam Adams octoberfest! Was Glorious! I also paid him and made him dinner. Gotta be a good host when you need labor!

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 340762)
Congrats on getting it dialed in.

I hope you bought your friend a beer afterwards. He was probably pretty "thirsty"... if you know what I mean.;) :cheers:

7moore7 08-28-2012 07:41 AM

Glad you got those bolts out!

Wolverine 08-28-2012 02:26 PM

Sooo, when we stretching her legs? I have about a 200 mile miniGP in mind. :D

kardiac996 08-28-2012 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 340809)
Sooo, when we stretching her legs? I have about a 200 mile miniGP in mind. :D

You know bro any saturday or sunday hit me up when a good time is. That sargent is proving to be incredible on my ass hahaha.

Onomea 08-29-2012 01:12 AM

Glad to see you got everything sorted out. I had a glitch too while doing my MCCT install. I snapped my rear mcct mounting bolt(defective torque wrench-since replaced
by two micro torque ones).

I did not experience any problems with my OEM ccts. Just the miles on my bike(about 67K miles) and the peace of mind. Its a good feeling...

Ride well and enjoy! :)

darkember 09-30-2012 07:45 AM

Hi everyone, from over the pond.

I'm interested in removing my Pair system. I believe its the electronic version being on an F2 model. Will the removal be the same as the none electrical version & does anybody know where I could get some blanking plates from?? I like to do the job properly:)

Many thanks Dark

Wolverine 09-30-2012 11:31 AM

What is this F2 model you speak of? :p

darkember 09-30-2012 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 342637)
What is this F2 model you speak of? :p

The F2 Model is the 2002 version for the european market with the upgraded clocks & larger 19L fuel tank.

twist 10-02-2012 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by kardiac996 (Post 340754)
So I followed the instructions in the KB section for doing these procedures. I gotta say im somewhat mechanically inclined and found this to be a relatively straight forward with the KB instructions.

I want to thank all who have put time into building this site as i found it to be very helpful.

After diving into the bike for the first time I tried my best to be thorough and detailed with removal and install. After breaking two valve cover bolts from the PO over torque I was in a jam. Had a buddy come out and back out the broken bits from the threads using his easy out tool. I now own this tool and learned a very cool technique as well.

With his assistance we swapped out both CCT's and removed PAIR. We pulled both valve covers to check timing and I was stoked to see that I was perfect in time on both front and rear. I went the extra effort to pull the front to also get carbs jetted and deep clean and check valves etc...

Everything looked damn perfect and clean. So we put things back together and followed the Jet recommendation of the HRC slide mod and #48 pilots. After a little tuning we found the sweet spot and she rides great. With Jetting and PAIR removal I am re blown away by the new found accuracy in throttle.

So my major service items are now complete and im very excited to not have the doom and gloom over my head from failures.

Thank you all again for the information and time placed into the KB section as I was able to save quite a bit of money and walk away proud and educated.

Im back on the road and its been the longest week ever!

this may be a dumb question but here goes: with the carburetors being so buried under the tank and all, did you have to adjust the needles, put it back together and run it then pull it all apart again until you found the spot? To do it that way you would need to ride it a short distance to know if you have the sweet spot? How long did it take?

Hawkrider 10-02-2012 04:57 PM

It's possible to make needle adjustments without fully pulling the carbs. If you can get to the diaphragm covers to loosen the screws then you're good to go. Getting the diaphragm/spring/needle assembly back on correctly is another challenge though. The trick is to position the diaphragm concave down, push the spring all the way inside the cover, put the slide over the cover, and install the whole shabang together while reaching through the carb throat to guide the needle and hold the slide up. It's tricky the first few times but even my fat fingered ass can do it easily now.