SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   "Carbon Express" (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/carbon-express-32803/)

mikstr 01-03-2015 09:51 AM

"Carbon Express"

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings all :)

Curious to see what my beloved VTR will look like when it has received the missing part of the carbon treatment, I messed around with Paint and got this:

Attachment 22250

Kind of stealthy.... me likey :)

CruxGNZ 01-03-2015 10:41 AM

Two thumbs up!

That's the direction I'm going. Murdered out, as the kids say nowdays. But, mine will be just powdercoat and paint.

VTR1000F 01-03-2015 10:57 AM

Looking good mikstr. Specially like the wave wheels.

You guys must both be made of money. I'm going the Sharpie route. Might take a few, but I should have the carbon look for $5-$10. Money well spent. You guys are gonna feel pretty silly when this is over and we're all three up for VTROM together.

mikstr 01-03-2015 11:22 AM

Not really, 'cause the grin I get (from the drop of over 20 lbs of unsprung rotating weight) when I roll on the throttle will be unattainable with mere stickers or a sharpie :)

BTW, looks aren't everything; very few (if any) VTRs will deliver the intense yet refined riding experience that this one will when done.....

CruxGNZ 01-03-2015 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 381464)
Not really, 'cause the grin I get (from the drop of over 20 lbs of unsprung rotating weight) when I roll on the throttle will be unattainable with mere stickers or a sharpie :)

BTW, looks aren't everything; very few (if any) VTRs will deliver the intense yet refined riding experience that this one will when done.....

Not many people can say that, and it's actually believable!

mikstr 01-03-2015 09:28 PM

The journey has been long, but the payoff should be fun :)

NZSpokes 01-03-2015 09:50 PM

Want your brake lever....

mikstr 01-04-2015 06:07 AM

Thurn Motorsport will gladly sell you one.......

Tweety 01-04-2015 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 381464)

Oh... I have one that can give yours a run for it's money... Or two actually, since the race bike is now completed (it ended up at 152 rwbhp)... ;)

But, that said, it looks sensational... And I know first hand how much time and effort has gone into that... ;)

I'm staying with the stock CBR wheels for road for now, but I wouldn't mind a couple of carbon rims for track...

mikstr 01-05-2015 09:47 AM

thanks Markus, and I have no doubt your VTRs are formidable beasts (as are Ian/Yeti's) :)

P.S. How about some pics of your track weapon (I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see it)?

NZSpokes 01-05-2015 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 381493)
Thurn Motorsport will gladly sell you one.......

Its not on their site? Is it from a different model?

mikstr 01-05-2015 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 381515)
Its not on their site? Is it from a different model?

3rd from the bottom here: Fahrwerk-sc36

Tweety 01-06-2015 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 381511)
thanks Markus, and I have no doubt your VTRs are formidable beasts (as are Ian/Yeti's) :)

P.S. How about some pics of your track weapon (I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see it)?

Oh, no... Mine aren't even comparable to Ian's... His are mori made, mine might have mori parts in them, but are created by yours truly, mostly by trial and error (a lot of the latter!)...

Well, taking about looks... Its about as ugly as you could very well imagine really... ;) The fairings are left over parts from a bunch of different sources, and about every color made for the VTR really. And there might be one or two parts without rash, but I honestly doubt it... :) As said before, it's really a budget build that sort of spiraled out of control a little, so I wasn't going for finish in any way or shape...

But that said, it goes like stink... ;)

When winter hibernation is over, I'll roll it out, wash the dust off it, and snap a picture or two... Right now it's under a cover, and the yard is slick as snot with frozen slush... I miss riding!

mikstr 01-06-2015 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 381530)
Well, taking about looks... Its about as ugly as you could very well imagine really... ;) The fairings are left over parts from a bunch of different sources, and about every color made for the VTR really. And there might be one or two parts without rash, but I honestly doubt it... :) As said before, it's really a budget build that sort of spiraled out of control a little, so I wasn't going for finish in any way or shape...

But that said, it goes like stink... ;)

When winter hibernation is over, I'll roll it out, wash the dust off it, and snap a picture or two... Right now it's under a cover, and the yard is slick as snot with frozen slush... I miss riding!

Having it look like a beater (but run like stink) will be akin to some "salt for the wound" when you run down the poster bikes on the track :) You're a cruel man.... lol

Tweety 01-06-2015 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 381532)
Having it look like a beater (but run like stink) will be akin to some "salt for the wound" when you run down the poster bikes on the track :) You're a cruel man.... lol

Oh, not to worry... There were a few that didn't like it at all when I first tried it out on track this fall... Did a track day, and started in the "intermediate" group since I felt rather rusty on track... For one reason or the other, they decided to bump me to "advanced" the next session... Could be that I went past most of the field every other lap or so... :rolleyes: Most of that group where guys that pointed the bike down the straight and held on, and wobbled through the corners...

Next session was mainly guys with some track experience, so they knew how to ride their bikes... I still couldn't quite hang onto the IL4 liter bikes on the straights... But I could make it very hard for them to pass me, since I outpaced most of them onto the straight... I was sort of midfield in that group, not passing too many, but not getting passed much either... Had a fun 'race' with a fully race prepped BMW for most of the remaining sessions that day... He was slightly faster than me, but it was fun chasing him... :cool:

Granted, most of the guys I chased down in both groups where happy amateurs like myself... But it still made most of them a bit unhappy to know the bike that outpaced their brand spanking new toys, was originally from -97... The Beemer guy made a rough guess that my entire bike cost about the same as his full CF bodywork...

VTR1000F 01-06-2015 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 381539)
The Beemer guy made a rough guess that my entire bike cost about the same as his full CF bodywork...

I love it.

Stephan 01-07-2015 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 381530)

written full specs of what you´ve done to your engine and peripherals would be much more interesting than pictures.