SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Members Rides (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/)
-   -   Ariola's adopted 2k VTR1000F Superhawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/members-rides-35/ariolas-adopted-2k-vtr1000f-superhawk-33491/)

Ariola 09-06-2015 02:28 PM

Ariola's adopted 2k VTR1000F Superhawk

5 Attachment(s)
After days of negotiating and waiting, I've finally adopted this 2K VTR1000 Superhawk. From the looks of it the previous owner has done some extensive visual mods that I plan to build from or use as a base. I kinda like the different look, hence, the reason why I actually made the deal. I'm not one to follow the norm. I'm considering other performance mods so you can bet that I'll be leaning (No Pun Intended) on this great forum for guidance. Here some pics for your enjoyment...!

Badboy01 09-06-2015 05:21 PM

Looks like a nice and well maintained Hawk. Welcome to one of the best motorcycle groups in the world! Meet you at Old Town on Thursday nights, or on the way to Daytona....

Wolverine 09-06-2015 07:49 PM

Cool Hawk. Some clean lookin' body mods.

NHSH 09-06-2015 07:56 PM

Welcome on board, very wild look, I like the Buell firebolt front :-)
The tail, looks like Buell as well, but something is different

Hangfly 09-07-2015 10:55 AM

Welcome new friend from FL.
Mean looking bike!
Of course you know about those factory Automatic Cam Chain Tensioners.
How does it run?

Ariola 09-07-2015 04:18 PM

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the warm greetings. Hope to run with you all someday if you're in the Central Florida area.

Ariola 09-07-2015 04:29 PM

CCTs'

Originally Posted by Hangfly (Post 390220)
Mean looking bike!
How does it run?

I've read about them for the first time before getting the bike. The gentleman I traded with stated that he had spent over $1100 in repairs prior to putting it up for sale. Just don't know if the CCTs' were part of those repairs. I did notice that the bike already has SS braided lines which was one of the upgrade recommendations on this forum. The only issue I've encountered is that when I run the bike a little hard and I stop and shut it off, when I turn the ignition and go to restart I get a click underneath the passenger seat and the bike will not start. After a few minutes it starts with no problems. Think it may be a relay of some sort...?

As far as how it rides, compared to my 11' FZ8, it's much narrower and longer than the newer Yamaha. Almost feels like riding a Ducati and I can't lie that the V-Twin sound is sweet. To put it bluntly, I am in love...

Ariola 09-12-2015 06:47 AM

Mean looking bike!
How does it run?

I've read about them on here. Not sure if they've been done or what to look for if they were done. Excuse my mechanical ignorance but I'm just curious as to what why I should be concerned about them and why I should consider the swap? I appreciate the heads up and the compliments...

Ariola 09-12-2015 06:52 AM

3 Attachment(s)

How does it run?

Compared to my 2011 Yamaha FZ8, it feels like a Ducati because of how narrow it is. Not sure I like the ride height in the rear, and seeing that the front was lowered, my first call to duty is figuring how to raise her up a tad. Any suggestions Hangfly...?

Wolverine 09-12-2015 07:13 AM

Auto cct:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...906_131301.jpg

Manual cct:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-ape_under.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2m4vrbr.jpg

CruxGNZ 09-12-2015 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ariola (Post 390388)
I've read about them on here. Not sure if they've been done or what to look for if they were done. Excuse my mechanical ignorance but I'm just curious as to what why I should be concerned about them and why I should consider the swap? I appreciate the heads up and the compliments...

Why should you be concerned about them? In simple terms, they can cause serious damage to your engine if they "let go". And they can let go at any time with little to no warning. How does it happen? The spring inside the CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) breaks, which then looses tension on the cam chain, allowing the cam(s) to "jump timing" and since the VTR has an interference engine, your pistons will hit the valves.

Hangfly 09-12-2015 06:29 PM

"my first call to duty is figuring how to raise her up a tad. Any suggestions Hangfly...?"

I'm not sure since am the wrong guy to ask about handling tricks. I just installed new forks on the front of mine and plan to pay an experienced (man who rebuilt the forks) suspension guy look at it.

Judging from some photos you posted, I believe your bike is still equipped with the standard auto cam chain tensioners. (CCT)s
Both VTR bikes I have bought needed converting, which I did before I rode them, since these days, I don't feel that lucky, punk.

superbeater 09-13-2015 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Ariola (Post 390389)
Not sure I like the ride height in the rear, and seeing that the front was lowered, my first call to duty is figuring how to raise her up a tad. Any suggestions Hangfly...?

To raise to stock height, loosen the pinch bolts on only one side, let's say the left, on the upper and lower triple clamps and the handlebar (clip on). Then push the fork tube down until the cap is 1-2mm above the handlebar and the handlebar is sitting down on the upper triple clamp. This may require getting the weight off the front end but it should be do-ble with the bike on the kick stand.
Once the left is at the stock height, tighten the bolts and do the right side. Do not over tighten the bolts. I think the proper torque is around 20 pounds.

thedeatons 09-14-2015 06:54 AM

Or make these and save money:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/classifieds-32/mcct-made-stock-cct-housing-stainless-$37-shipped-31210/

James

Ariola 09-14-2015 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by superbeater (Post 390449)
To raise to stock height, loosen the pinch bolts on only one side, let's say the left, on the upper and lower triple clamps and the handlebar (clip on). Then push the fork tube down until the cap is 1-2mm above the handlebar and the handlebar is sitting down on the upper triple clamp. This may require getting the weight off the front end but it should be do-ble with the bike on the kick stand.
Once the left is at the stock height, tighten the bolts and do the right side. Do not over tighten the bolts. I think the proper torque is around 20 pounds.

Cool...thanks for the info. My other issue is the rear. It looks like its set center for preload which is compressing the spring. If I set it at the lowest setting, will it somewhat raise the rear to match the front or? On my 11' FZ8 I can usually adjust it with a rear shock thingy magingy tool (Excuse my mechanical tool jargon ignorance). The VTR's Showa fork is set up a little different. Does it work the same way? Any help would greatly be appreciated...thanks a million.

Wolverine 09-14-2015 01:48 PM

Ari,
That adjustment should not be used for that reason. Check out this thread. If it seems a little confusing, check out
. This is the first and most basic adjustment you should do to all motos you own from here on.

superbeater 09-14-2015 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ariola (Post 390457)
Cool...thanks for the info. My other issue is the rear. It looks like its set center for preload which is compressing the spring. If I set it at the lowest setting, will it somewhat raise the rear to match the front or? On my 11' FZ8 I can usually adjust it with a rear shock thingy magingy tool (Excuse my mechanical tool jargon ignorance). The VTR's Showa fork is set up a little different. Does it work the same way? Any help would greatly be appreciated...thanks a million.

Check this out. Suspension Setup Guide | Sport Rider
You don't adjust ride height with spring preload. You can raise the rear by putting a shim under the upper shock mount just behind the tank.

Ariola 09-15-2015 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 390463)
Ari,
That adjustment should not be used for that reason. Check out this thread. If it seems a little confusing, check out this vid. This is the first and most basic adjustment you should do to all motos you own from here on.

This guy is bad ass. Couldn't help but watch videos of his tuning till the wee hours. Thanks for the hook up Wolverine.

UCF Eric 09-21-2015 01:31 PM

Hey, congrats on the pick up. I've seen that for sale forever. I'm over by UCF, if you're ever down for a ride or need a hand let me know.

Ariola 09-21-2015 06:00 PM

Thanks for the invite. I still haven't gotten her registered yet. I'm waiting on the rear shock shim to fine tune the suspension before tagging her. I'll keep you posted...

Ariola 09-30-2015 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by UCF Eric (Post 390703)
Hey, congrats on the pick up. I've seen that for sale forever. I'm over by UCF, if you're ever down for a ride or need a hand let me know.

Finally got the rear shim in. Looking to have it done this weekend and then she'll be road ready... I'll keep you posted. BTW, do you have any pics of your Hawk?