SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Knowledge Base (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/)
-   -   Shorter shifting 'Hawk (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/shorter-shifting-hawk-10161/)

Hawkrider 12-19-2006 05:59 PM

Shorter shifting 'Hawk

For those of you wanting to get better shifting with shorter throws, try the following:

* Loosen the adjusters on the link and extend it out about 4-5 threads. This will move the shifter in the downward direction. Leave it loose.
* Now loosen and remove the shifter arm bolt and remove and replace the arm exactly ONE spline in the clockwise direction. Install and tighten the shifter arm bolt.
* Adjust the shift lever to your liking and tighten the two locknuts.

What this does is gives you less lever travel due to the increased angle of the shifter arm. It works great at the track and street with or without the clutch.

shayne 12-20-2006 03:33 AM

Man, I have had a couple of arguments about this!!

Non-believers telling me it can't work. It is hard to explain, until you see it work on a bike. My physics is not what it used to be. LOL

RCVTR 12-20-2006 08:18 AM

I've spent the time at track days to get that adjustment right and it makes a huge difference.

mikstr 12-20-2006 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to trying it (although it will have to wait until Spring).

cheers

shayne 12-21-2006 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by mikstr (Post 37573)
Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to trying it (although it will have to wait until Spring).

cheers

My tip here would be to install heim joints on the end of your shift rod while you are at it. The ball and cup joints that Honda use have a fair bit of play in them even from new. A heim joint like Yamaha use on the R1 is a LOT better. Your local engineering supply shop should be able to supply them with left & right hand threads. I can buy a pair of them here for $40 so should be even a bit cheaper for you. A pair of genuine Yamaha dust boots finishes it off nicely.

Tip no. 2 is to re-bush the pivot for the shifter. Lots of slop in there you can take out too.

I thought these bits on my bike were worn out when I got it, so I went to Honda and looked at a new bike and it was the same! Just cheap components. I am used to dirt bikes that have no likages at all, so it felt terrible to me.

These mods sort it out nicely and are cheap to do.

Birdoprey 02-07-2007 06:36 PM

Bump!
makes sense. less rod movement but less leverage so a slight amount more effort, probably won't notice it.
just did it. will try it out tomorrow.

tommygdbr 02-07-2007 06:40 PM

Sounds like a new project for me. Thx for the info, I will do it tomorrow

nuhawk 02-07-2007 07:37 PM

I did this mod while I was going through my bike. It looks like it will do a better job of clearing the toes of my riding boots. I always feel like such a duck with my toes stuck out instead of tucked in on the pegs.

J.J. 02-08-2007 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 37523)
For those of you wanting to get better shifting with shorter throws, try the following:

* Loosen the adjusters on the link and extend it out about 4-5 threads. This will move the shifter in the downward direction. Leave it loose.
* Now loosen and remove the shifter arm bolt and remove and replace the arm exactly ONE spline in the clockwise direction. Install and tighten the shifter arm bolt.

What this does is gives you less lever travel due to the increased angle of the shifter arm. It works great at the track and street with or without the clutch.

Sorry, I'm probably an idiot, but what do you mean when you say "loosen the adjusters on the link"? What link?

Hawkrider 02-08-2007 02:55 PM

It's actually the adjustable shifting rod. It connects the shift lever to the arm attached to the shift shaft. There's (2) 10mm lock nuts on there. Loosen them and then turn the rod to adjust.

nuhawk 02-08-2007 07:17 PM

It doesn't take much. My adjustment was about 1/8th inch total.

Thumper 02-08-2007 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by nuhawk (Post 41405)
It doesn't take much. My adjustment was about 1/8th inch total.

Works great, did it years ago after reading a post on RLZ.

To add on e more tip, you can also improve the shifting even more by adding the FactoryPro Shift Detent kits. Really makes the gears pop solid when shifting. The shift detent are is a piece of crap on the stock setip compared the the FactoryPro Roller bearing Shift Detent Arm.

Sorry, no pics of the stock and FactoryPro arms, did this mod four or five years ago.

kevink2 02-13-2007 12:08 PM

Works great... fantastic tip. :thumbsup:

jameszr7s 11-29-2007 12:37 AM

anybody know if you can buy a shorter linkage to shorten the throw more, maybe from a sportyer honda

Tweety 11-29-2007 04:57 AM

Most likely not, the shortening of the actual linkage here is a matter of a few mm's only... The main purpose isn't making the link shorter, it's changing the angle, wich changes the precision of the lever...

A better idea is as shayne suggested, I have tried it...
Tighten up the original lever with a shim on the lever axle to remove play, and possibly give it a new bushing if needed, then use heim joints...

skokievtr 11-29-2007 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by shayne (Post 99643)
My tip here would be to install heim joints on the end of your shift rod while you are at it. The ball and cup joints that Honda use have a fair bit of play in them even from new. A heim joint like Yamaha use on the R1 is a LOT better. Your local engineering supply shop should be able to supply them with left & right hand threads. I can buy a pair of them here for $40 so should be even a bit cheaper for you. A pair of genuine Yamaha dust boots finishes it off nicely.

Tip no. 2 is to re-bush the pivot for the shifter. Lots of slop in there you can take out too.

I thought these bits on my bike were worn out when I got it, so I went to Honda and looked at a new bike and it was the same! Just cheap components. I am used to dirt bikes that have no likages at all, so it felt terrible to me.

These mods sort it out nicely and are cheap to do.

How did you attach the new heim to the shift lever (the OEM is riveted)? I already lenghtened my lever for mty Vario adjustable pegs & did the linkage "adjustment". Real thin shim stock is required instead of re-bushing the lever pivot.

E.Marquez 12-20-2007 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by skokievtr (Post 138043)
How did you attach the new heim to the shift lever (the OEM is riveted)? I already lengthened my lever for mty Vario adjustable pegs & did the linkage "adjustment". Real thin shim stock is required instead of re-bushing the lever pivot.

I used a Stainless steel socked head hex fastener, nut and some high strength thread locker (Loctite 271)

Tightened things down adding a touch of thread locker to the nut. Ground the head off the fastener, and all excess off after the nut. Great fit, will never come loose. And if I ever want to replace a part of the system, it's as easy as replacing the fastener. ($0.35)

finepooch 09-12-2008 12:59 PM

i've been doing this to all my bikes for years. i usually change it by two splines. the throw isn't being shortened, just moved. it feels better because your upshifts are much more "sure".

i've never figured out why the bike manus put the levers so high. it's rediculous.

CentralCoaster 09-12-2008 01:51 PM

Makes sense to me! I may give it a shot. It's so easy to shift anyways clutchless, a little more effort might be better.

Woodytick 09-20-2008 09:29 PM

do all that but make the gears backwards. to where you are shifting down to grab a higher gear instead of pulling up. it makes it a hell of alot better. this is how my race bike is set up. i just think it is easier to tap down then pulling it up. just my 2 cents anyways...

Superclean09 10-11-2009 09:56 AM

My SH is the worst shifting bike 1st to 2nd gear that I have ever had. My CBR954RR was almost as bad but I found that pre-loading the shifter before the shift let it shift smoothly without any mods. I will do the mod in Spring but there is still a few weeks of nice riding weather here in Victoria. Sunny and 13 degrees right now!

Storm 11-06-2009 03:56 AM

Just did the mod now... I will ride Tomorrow and report back. Seems better just by a small test in the shed but the road will be the real test i guess Cheers, T

Storm 11-06-2009 04:23 PM

Ok Adjusted the arm 1 turn clockwise and went for a test ride... Came back and did an adjustment on the rod to suit my Foot/boot and it is GREAT, very happy!! Cheers for the tip, Tony

Just_Nick 11-06-2009 09:30 PM

Did the mod too, using my method *cough*, and it does seem to be a little better.
Just a tip, the throw is indeed shorter, however you need more force to make up for that. If you don't upshift hard enough, it will simply pop out of gear.

boxs21 04-21-2011 03:42 AM

look like good setup, I should try it
http://freeimagestocks.com/content/20/grey.png

eersfanpilot 12-23-2011 07:55 PM

Did this on two SH's today and I must admit, noticeably different. It feels Great! Thanks Hawkrider! Also, for somereason I can't access your 996 site on my tablet or phone, any advice? I like to use the tab in the garage while working for instructions and pic reference.

Firestorm996 03-26-2012 09:59 AM

Did the mod last weekend, what a difference!!!
Thank you Greg, valuable info as always.....

twist 08-25-2012 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 99473)

I have a 2002 VTR. shifter rod is simply a threaded rod with both ends threaded, (cant adjust w/o removing shift lever). Is it 4-5 threads on each end? I got the rest.

Tweety 08-25-2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by twist (Post 340547)
I have a 2002 VTR. shifter rod is simply a threaded rod with both ends threaded, (cant adjust w/o removing shift lever). Is it 4-5 threads on each end? I got the rest.

Yes, you can adjust it without removing the shifter... You loosen the locknuts, and then spin the threaded rod... That makes it longer... So yeah, 4-5 goes for both ends, as both spin together... the whole point of it is to be able to adjust the shifter position...

Then you move the splined arm, and set the pedal to where you want it, and lock it...

twist 08-25-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 340551)
Yes, you can adjust it without removing the shifter... You loosen the locknuts, and then spin the threaded rod... That makes it longer... So yeah, 4-5 goes for both ends, as both spin together... the whole point of it is to be able to adjust the shifter position...

Then you move the splined arm, and set the pedal to where you want it, and lock it...

thanks! Gonna give it a try.