SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Knowledge Base (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/)
-   -   seat removal improvement (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/seat-removal-improvement-16172/)

finepooch 09-16-2008 04:51 PM

seat removal improvement

i saw someone mention on this site that there is a mod for improving the seat removal. i searched and searched but could not find a description for this mod. so, i tackled it myself.

it's simple. cut off the excess off the hooks under the seat. the hooks only need one "shoulder". the second shoulder, or hook, on the end is the part that makes the seat's removal such a pain in the ass. then i adjusted the loops that are welded to the sub frame. now all is well.

if someone wants a pic i might get to it when i have a chance.

Erik S. 09-16-2008 04:54 PM

I think I understand what you are saying, but would like to see a pic.

How did you adjust the loops, hammer them towards the rear a little?

Thanks.

superbling 09-16-2008 05:01 PM

You can also shim the hooks underneath with a couple of washers.

finepooch 09-16-2008 05:02 PM

one looked fine but the other looked loose. hammered it back a tiny bit. it doesn't take much force to move them so be careful. tried the seat and had to hammer that one again, this time forward to give it a bit of slack.

i'm gonna see about a pic right now. give me a few minutes.

Thumper 09-16-2008 05:12 PM

Had same problem when i bought my 98, simple hammer adjustment on the metal loops did the trick.

No cutting and it took a whole 5 minutes of time to do it.

finepooch 09-16-2008 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, here's the pic

cal2az 09-16-2008 06:19 PM

Great thread!

My seat is a real biotch to get off. Even if I get the hooks free, the seat seems to hang up somewhere under the riders portion of the seat. I have to grab the seat with both hands, push down on the seat and then quickly tug back. It takes a couple of tugs to free the seat. I cant figure out where its hanging up and why I have to push down on the seat to get the seat removed.

Erik S. 09-16-2008 06:20 PM

exactly as i pictured it. Thanks.

My secret for removing the seat is this. Unlatch it, then rotate the right side back first to get it free, then the left side comes right up. I don't remember how I figured this out, but it works.

finepooch 09-17-2008 04:26 AM

this over engineered hook is typical honda. they want to make sure the seat is secure. well, it is, i can't even get it off!!! i feel like they are child proofing the seat to get a laugh at our expense!

let me know if you guys have any luck with this mod.

Cleveland 09-17-2008 05:19 AM

Careful guys.. this is how the post whoring newbie thread got started..

finepooch 09-17-2008 06:48 AM

that post whoring neebie thread is CRAZY! hahahahahahahahahaha

this thread will never compare to that one.

sassage 09-17-2008 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cleveland (Post 181630)
Careful guys.. this is how the post whoring newbie thread got started..

:D

I just smack the seat once in a rearward direction and it comes right out ;)

cal2az 09-19-2008 01:54 PM

I took care of my seat problem and it was unbelievably easy to fix. All I did was remove the seat and set it aside. Then I took a hammer and bent the hooks that are welded to the subframe, that the seat hooks go into, and tapped them about 3/16" twards the gas tank(or front of the bike) Now my seat drops right on and slips off easy as butter!

runrowdy 09-19-2008 03:11 PM

My hooks have been long gone. Seat stays on fine without them.

JamieDaugherty 09-19-2008 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by runrowdy (Post 182072)
My hooks have been long gone. Seat stays on fine without them.

So you mean that you took them off completely? I guess that I never thought of that.

Tweety 09-19-2008 04:25 PM

It took me a whole of 3 tries to figure that one out... I had the hooks of within the first week I owned the bike... I haven't missed them one bit all these years...

finepooch 09-19-2008 05:07 PM

i wondered if the seat would stay on there properly without the hooks. i guess the answer is yes.

you guys do realize that the hooks simply unbolt from the underneath of the seat, right? you don't have to take the loops off the frame, or bend them.

cal2az 09-19-2008 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by finepooch (Post 182084)
you guys do realize that the hooks simply unbolt from the underneath of the seat, right? you don't have to take the loops off the frame, or bend them.

If I wanted to remove the hooks then yes, I know that they unbolt and come right off. I didnt see the need to remove them, I just wanted the seat to come off easier. Ive got it to where the seat comes right off now.

filter69 09-19-2008 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Erik S. (Post 181560)
I think I understand what you are saying, but would like to see a pic.

How did you adjust the loops, hammer them towards the rear a little?

Thanks.

I used my penis to Scare the hoops into a different position ....Nuff said

runrowdy 09-20-2008 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by filter69 (Post 182124)

Whoa! TMI

little squirt 05-15-2009 12:43 PM

i almost posted a thread to see if anyone else had this problem....hahaha guess i know what im doing after work

Hawkrider 05-15-2009 05:08 PM

Leave the hoops. They are a convenient spot to lift the rear of the bike with straps for maintenance such as shock or swingarm removal, where you can't use a stand.

tbartley 05-15-2009 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkrider (Post 216945)
Leave the hoops. They are a convenient spot to lift the rear of the bike with straps for maintenance such as shock or swingarm removal, where you can't use a stand.

LOL! And I thought I had some kind of "old guy" problem because I couldn't get the seat off quickly and easily. I did as stated above...hammer adjustment just a little to one of the loops and the seat is very easy to "unhook" and remove. +1 on what Hawkrider said.

COLE 05-15-2009 08:25 PM

i have an 02 model and never had ne trouble gettin my seat off :)

little squirt 05-16-2009 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by COLE (Post 216971)
i have an 02 model and never had ne trouble gettin my seat off :)

THATS IT!! time to sell my 2001 and get a 2002 or newer, sounds like too much work to fix this problem or maybe take it to the dealer......:rolleyes:

nerostorm 08-16-2009 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by filter69 (Post 182124)

ha ha classic :D :D :D

Galaxieman 08-16-2009 05:03 AM

+1 on the 'running hookless' crowd here. Took them off of the stock seat and had zero issues. No such devices on the Corbin... should tell you something.

avramd 11-04-2009 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 182079)
It took me a whole of 3 tries to figure that one out... I had the hooks of within the first week I owned the bike... I haven't missed them one bit all these years...

In case anyone is wondering, the reason the hooks and loops are there is to reinforce the seat at the point of the helmet storage hook. Without them, someone can steal your helmet just by lifting up hard on the seat in the middle.

VTRsurfer 11-04-2009 08:34 PM

Just buy a Sargent and save the trouble....and your ass.

Tweety 11-05-2009 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by avramd (Post 241885)
In case anyone is wondering, the reason the hooks and loops are there is to reinforce the seat at the point of the helmet storage hook. Without them, someone can steal your helmet just by lifting up hard on the seat in the middle.

And since it would take about 5 minutes until someone cut the strap of the helmet of, that doesn't really bother me that much...