SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Knowledge Base (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/)
-   -   Running EU bike with ICU from US bike (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/running-eu-bike-icu-us-bike-32996/)

chally 03-23-2015 03:54 PM

Running EU bike with ICU from US bike

Does anyone have a picture of the ICU wiring harness connector from a USA spec. bike clearly showing the pin-out and cable colours?

I would like to use a USA spec Ignition Control Unit on a EU spec. bike, so I need to confirm that the pin-out is the same or not.

8541Hawk 03-28-2015 10:22 AM

What year bike as there are 2 different plugs

franz125 03-28-2015 12:02 PM

Honda VTR1000F 98 03 workshop service manual, free download!

MYle 06-30-2015 02:15 PM

Hello.

The workshop manual is really not answering the pinout...neither are the schemas that I've seen around the internet.

So, please could someone post a pictures of 2001 --> later Superhawk ICU connector showing which wire goes to which pin in the socket...

I'm working on 2002 Firestorm which I purchased from an insurance company. This bike had HISS version ICU. I could not get the ICU responding so I bought from ebay an US-version (same year) ICU.
With the US-version ICU I cannot get a spark. I've checked all the obvious and searched the web sites still no spark.
I hooked USB-scope and could see the pulse generator is sparking fine and the power (Black/white) voltage is not dropping dramatically (Below 11,5 Volts) during starting so there should be spark.

Today I accidently got spark when I connected my finger to the HISS receiver RxDT line. The spark was like the pace of my heart rate ... really !
So from that I started thingking maybe there is difference in the US vs EU ICU pinouts.

In the schemas it looks the connections are identical (except for the HISS receiver) but are wires really going to the same physical pins...?

So, please post pics...

Best Regards

Mikko

CruxGNZ 06-30-2015 07:48 PM

You might be better off going to vtr1000.org for your questions. Since this is a U.S. site, they will have what you need.

MYle 06-30-2015 11:12 PM

Well, excuse me...

I understand this is US site. That's exactly why I posted this question here. I thought there is more chance of getting info about US version ICU connectors in US forum than in EU forum...

Regards.

E.Marquez 07-01-2015 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by MYle (Post 387963)
Well, excuse me...

I understand this is US site. That's exactly why I posted this question here. I thought there is more chance of getting info about US version ICU connectors in US forum than in EU forum...

Regards.

That makes complete sense, I don't have what you need on hand., but will look at the shop tomorrow and see if there is still a 2002 SH there

8541Hawk 07-01-2015 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by MYle (Post 387963)
Well, excuse me...

Regards.

No one was trying to be rude to you. You might not know it but the HISS system was never released in the US.

No bike in this country has that system so no one here has seen one.

The reason for the referral to the UK site is that they have experience with that system.

Hope you get it all sorted.

MYle 07-01-2015 08:54 AM

Hello Gents.

Sorry, Maybe I was a little too hasty...

Anyhow. I know you don't have that *X#%!!:n HISS hence I'm asking.

If just could get a decent picture of the US ICU socket where the wires can be seen I think it would be very beneficial for lots of people. Not only for me.

I've been searching in the web but so far haven't found a decent pic or details of the US ICU socket.

Cheers mates.

Mikko

E.Marquez 07-01-2015 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk (Post 387978)
No one was trying to be rude to you. You might not know it but the HISS system was never released in the US.

No bike in this country has that system so no one here has seen one.

The reason for the referral to the UK site is that they have experience with that system.

Hope you get it all sorted.

Mike, that's this point I think... he wants a pic and pin out of the US part and system..so that the US part may be adapted to his non US broken HISS system.

CruxGNZ 07-01-2015 01:11 PM

The best I can help with is giving you the wiring diagrams for both the US spec bikes and Euro spec bikes. These are made by our member Tweety.

Euro Diagram (although, I don't think the HISS is present in this diagram)
US Diagram

CruxGNZ 07-01-2015 01:52 PM

I have an extra wire harness and took a couple pictures. I think the harness is from a '98. Hope this helps as well.

I'm actually glad I took these pictures. When I blew them up, I noticed a gash in one of the wires!

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...701_154421.jpg
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/...701_154357.jpg

MYle 07-01-2015 11:37 PM

Thanks Grux.

This is just what I was looking after... Except for the 2001 and newr bikes.

They have different socket:

http://aijaa.com/0vGywq
Right side

http://aijaa.com/b4iO9H

Left side

I made a project thread of my bike to the vtr1000.org if want to have a look...

www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - Flying Finn (still without wings...)

Cheers

Mikko

CrankenFine 07-02-2015 03:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have an '02. I'll try to post a couple pics for you tonight.

OK Here are pics of each side of the connector. Hope this helps.

MYle 07-02-2015 10:39 PM

CrankenFine, You might have saved a day (or two... ).

Thank's a lot. Very good photos.
If this don't help then at least it is not because of lack of support from you guys!

At the first look there is differencies in the wiring.
I'll make more thorough investigation on this in the weekend.

Have a nice weekend.

Cheers

Mikko

MYle 07-05-2015 01:38 PM

Hello!

The bike is running now with US-NON-HISS ICU.
There was one (yellow) pulse generator wire in different pin in my (EURO-socket) bike.

Once I changed that got good spark and got the engine running.

So, CrankenFine, Thank you very much for your effort. The pics you send were really the key to solve this issue.

Have a nice week.

Cheers

Mikko

CrankenFine 07-06-2015 06:31 AM

Glad it worked out.

Guess this means we could add HISS to US bikes if desired?

MYle 07-06-2015 12:53 PM

You could, but it is more complicated than removing the HISS.

You would need to have:

1. HISS-ICU + at least one key programmed to that specific ICU
2. HISS receiver. This comes around the ignition switch to recognize the correct key (Or the ID chip in the key...)
3. Wiring for the HISS receiver. 4 wires for the receiver+one for the indicator (These wires, I don't know if they are in US wiring harness)
4. HISS indigator. Also don't know if this is in US instrument panel. (BTW the US-version ICU still blinks the HISS indicator when turned of...)
5. Change wiring in the socket for the HISS ICU

Otherwise this modification is quite straightforward and could be done in one day.

There's a map I made of both of the ICU sockets to help to see which pin goes to which pin.
Can be downloaded from here: Euro & US ICU socket pins

Cheers

Mikko

Tweety 07-07-2015 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by CrankenFine (Post 388191)
Glad it worked out.

Guess this means we could add HISS to US bikes if desired?

Yeah, you could, but I cannot for the life of me understand why you would want too... ;)

I have four of them I could send you... All complete, and all in perfectly working order, as they are absolutely theft proof and will not let you start the bike no matter what you do to them, working and correct key or not...

Bloody nuisance is what they are...