Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Flywheel Lightening

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 09:56 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Let us know how the test went, good luck and cheers mate
Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Only riddern it to work and back but it pulls much harder in the mid range, feels more angry.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 PM
SuperBike

Sounds about right! Awesome.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Spokes, did you feel more engine braking right away? I had Erik cut my flywheel to his lightest specs, and it sure as hell makes a difference with acceleration and rev matching! But, I just didn't feel what everyone (and physics) said I would feel, which is more engine braking. Not at first anyways. Perhaps I just got used to it? Not sure actually.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:53 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Spokes, did you feel more engine braking right away? I had Erik cut my flywheel to his lightest specs, and it sure as hell makes a difference with acceleration and rev matching! But, I just didn't feel what everyone (and physics) said I would feel, which is more engine braking. Not at first anyways. Perhaps I just got used to it? Not sure actually.
Well I only have about 40ks on it through traffic so no high speed. Slowing down feels the same so far.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:57 PM
Squid

Central Coast Stormer is on a distinguished road
Finding someone here is OZ to machine these flywheels is like looking for a healthy meal at McDonald's. If you do find someone they want $200 plus to machine them down.... I have 3 flywheels ready to go and but they just need machining.....
Old 10-12-2015, 08:56 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Central Coast Stormer
Finding someone here is OZ to machine these flywheels is like looking for a healthy meal at McDonald's. If you do find someone they want $200 plus to machine them down.... I have 3 flywheels ready to go and but they just need machining.....
Just PM E.Marquez, and go for max cut, well worth it mate.
Are you in Sydney? I miss the old pacific highway....

Cheers
Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Squid

Central Coast Stormer is on a distinguished road
hey mate Im at Tuggerah just out of Sydney and love the old Pac. I will let it know you said hi next time im there. I will PM E. Marquez but the price of postage to him will kill me...
Old 10-13-2015, 05:26 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Central Coast Stormer
hey mate Im at Tuggerah just out of Sydney and love the old Pac. I will let it know you said hi next time im there. I will PM E. Marquez but the price of postage to him will kill me...
Looks like $62.50 one way.

So you would be better off buying a flywheel in the US and having it shipped to me, doing the work and then sending it to you.
I'll PM you a email address so we can discuss it.

Erik
Old 04-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Squid

Braymond is on a distinguished road
Hello Eric. I know this is an old thread, but you know how addictive this modding can be once you get started. I came across this thread yesterday after you posted a reply to my comment about seized timing covers. I can't resist asking if your still in business for a lightened flywheel?

This is just too hard to pass up given the reviews and the fact I've got the bike apart now anyway.

Bill
Annapolis, MD
Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Braymond
Hello Eric. I know this is an old thread, but you know how addictive this modding can be once you get started. I came across this thread yesterday after you posted a reply to my comment about seized timing covers. I can't resist asking if your still in business for a lightened flywheel?

This is just too hard to pass up given the reviews and the fact I've got the bike apart now anyway.

Bill
Annapolis, MD
Check your PM's
Old 05-22-2016, 06:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Proper tooling to mount the flywheel

Seems I never posted when I updated from a piece of used crankshaft

To a proper mounting system.

I get more secure, repeatable clamping and mounting of the flywheels with this new tooling. Faster setup, and less run out
Attached Thumbnails Flywheel Lightening-vtr-flywheel-mandrel.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-flywheel-mount.jpg  
Old 05-22-2016, 07:01 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
In a way yes I have, but it's hard to say if I really notice a difference one lightened one to the other.

I've now have had three flywheels on my motor, Stock, Ditchfield cut and what I do for a max cut.

Stock to either modified is a noticeable difference. .. Between the modified versions.. I'm less confident on a commonly noticeable difference.
Math says it must make a difference, logic shows the same ... but butt dyno the difference is negligible. ...still.. math dont lie... so I have a light one in place now
As an update to this thread... since the day i posted this one some years back, I have had several increasingly lighter flywheels on my motor....and on dozens of others.
the lightest one a sub 5lb version to stock is noticeable... the sub 5lb to a 5.75lb was not... blind test back to back 5 runs, flywheels swapped by another I could not tell.
on the 6th run he installed an early version where I had only removed material from the disk weight it was a 6lb9oz and yes I could tell the difference...
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
So should I send you back my/your lightened flywheel you cut for me a couple years ago but which I have not yet installed (but plan to whenever I get my FP EVO Pro Star shift kit which has been back ordered for 11 months, as I have been waiting for it because it is a PITA to remove my Nipponese track day tubular case guards in order to remove the alternator cover and right side cover), so you can trim/true it up with your slick new jig set-up? LOL (maybe not LOL)

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Seems I never posted when I updated from a piece of used crankshaft

To a proper mounting system.

I get more secure, repeatable clamping and mounting of the flywheels with this new tooling. Faster setup, and less run out
Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
So should I send you back my/your lightened flywheel you cut for me a couple years ago but which I have not yet installed (but plan to whenever I get my FP EVO Pro Star shift kit which has been back ordered for 11 months, as I have been waiting for it because it is a PITA to remove my Nipponese track day tubular case guards in order to remove the alternator cover and right side cover), so you can trim/true it up with your slick new jig set-up? LOL (maybe not LOL)
The new tooling makes the job faster, easier, but no more accurate.
What has changed over the years is how much I take off.
Basically Im only offering the one cut now... but will consider doing less if the owner really wants to retain more weight. Same cost to me mild to wild..so users choice these days.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:41 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

My lite weight version

7.lb 2 oz starting weight

4lb 9 oz finished weight

timing marks retained.
Attached Thumbnails Flywheel Lightening-img_5933.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-img_5934.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-img_5937.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-img_5938.jpg  
Old 07-21-2016, 03:09 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Flywheel

I think this one was headed my way, and I just wanted to put a shout out to Mr. Marquez for not only his level of detail and craftsmanship, but also note that he is a great guy to do business with.
Thanks Erik,
Don
Old 07-21-2016, 08:57 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Don thanks for the kind words and, yes that was yours...

Shipping tracking says it's well on its way to you...should see it by the weekend

Originally Posted by Upland111
I think this one was headed my way, and I just wanted to put a shout out to Mr. Marquez for not only his level of detail and craftsmanship, but also note that he is a great guy to do business with.
Thanks Erik,
Don
Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Beautiful workmanship
Old 07-25-2016, 07:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Fastguy59
Beautiful workmanship
Thank you.
Its a labor of love... I have way more time, tooling costs and machine wear then I could ever charge and feel good about.

But I like doing it, so write off the $$ and time as entertainment.
And folks have been great in understanding the job has to wait till I have time. Its not something I can drop other work for, sometimes they get done the day the flywheel hits my door, sometimes it's 2 weeks.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
Hi there, looking to get a flywheel lightened, I have a spare stocker, so no down time for me, as I know your time is limited. Drop me a PM when you have a moment, thank you.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:14 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Kelevra
Hi there, looking to get a flywheel lightened, I have a spare stocker, so no down time for me, as I know your time is limited. Drop me a PM when you have a moment, thank you.
PM received I'll send you something today.

There was another bloke that asked about having one done, I had a computer crash and lost his email....... If the mystery rider is reading this PLEASE send contact again, your flywheel is done and ready.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:44 PM
Back Marker

Thanks! Greatly appreciated.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Squid

ae29 is on a distinguished road
HI Erik, I sent you a pm
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
both mine run lightened flywheels. the yellow bike has the weight only machined and the blue one has a very light one on, and it is beyond doubt the single biggest easiest mod iv done to my bikes. only downside iv found is you always wana hear the engine rev above 6k lol...
Old 06-27-2017, 01:35 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I have an exchange H Power from Bill here in Oz and just love it.

The way the bike revs and sounds is addictive.

I wish I had of weighed the standard and modified one.

I also removed the water pump drive gears and chain in an attempt to lighten the reciprocal mass and make the engine spin up quicker.

An electric water pump takes care of the cooling now.

The above mods achieved what I wanted .

A great mod that on a return for $ mod would have to rate as up there!
Old 07-03-2017, 09:59 AM
Back Marker

Email him..

Originally Posted by ae29
HI Erik, I sent you a pm
He said it's better to email him..

MarquezRacing@centurylink.net
Old 07-08-2017, 05:09 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Kelevra
He said it's better to email him..

MarquezRacing@centurylink.net
Thanks

I've been swamped with work and machine issues ....but am FINALLY back up.... The down side to not using a brand name US made machine tool is replacement parts....
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Flywheel lighting is back on track
After a long delay, waiting on machine parts, then just time to get on the lathe...
Finally working on a few.....
Started at 7lb 5oz

Finished at 4lb 4 oz

This one is headed to a guy in Singapore

This is the lightest one so far by 2 oz, I have a 4lb 6oz one on my bike
Attached Thumbnails Flywheel Lightening-flywheel-start-25-july.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-img_8512.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-img_8513.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 07-27-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:00 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
How low can you go

If you recall I had you do one for me I think down to 6# 4 oz but I STILL have not installed YET because I waited for over a year for Factory pro to finally make some fresh shifter stars to go with their spring and roller detent arm. In the interim last year I bought a FJ-09 and have been giving the VTR only occasional airings while I racked up almost 18k miles on the FJ in less than a Midwest year.

My question is Erik, after reading how you barely discern a difference with sub 6 and even 5 pound flywheels, will I be able to feel an appreciable change? So before I install it should I have you trim it some more? or try it and then decide?

The FJ-09 engine, if you've not ridden one, has an amazingly wide torque spread and spins up brilliantly. However, it's not as fast, powerful, solid feeling or as good a handler as my VTR (not surprising as the FJ still has the barely adequate suspension, though a re-flashed ECU) but it is more comfortable for my old and beaten body over a long day. Which is the primary reason I bought it. My 76 RD400 is a toy to be played with in short sessions...
Attached Thumbnails Flywheel Lightening-bret-starting-back-7-4-5-8-oz.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-bret-starting-front-7-4-5-8-oz.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-bret-finished-1lb0oz-front.jpg   Flywheel Lightening-bret-finished-1lb0oz-off-back.jpg  

Quick Reply: Flywheel Lightening