SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Knowledge Base (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/)
-   -   [ KB ] Single Sided Swing Arm Conversion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/knowledge-base-40/%5B-kb-%5D-single-sided-swing-arm-conversion-6257/)

mamisano 07-08-2004 08:16 PM

[ KB ] Single Sided Swing Arm Conversion

Category: Test Category 1
Type: Test Type 1

Article Name: Single Sided Swing Arm Conversion
Author: mamisano
Description: How to install a single-sided swing arm on a VTR1000F

>>Read Full Article

ericsuperhawk 03-25-2005 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by mamisano";p=&quot (Post 179)
Category: Test Category 1
Type: Test Type 1

Article Name: Single Sided Swing Arm Conversion
Author: mamisano
Description: How to install a single-sided swing arm on a VTR1000F

>>Read Full Article

Those pics are pimp, makes me want the belly pan and that single swingarm... Somebody hook me up! Will anybody convert my bike for $300? ha! Not likely! Fess up then, what does something like this cost?

ericsuperhawk 04-03-2005 06:03 PM

No takers? If there was any wrench spinners out there that stepped forward and said, "yeah E I'll convert your bike for $X" I'd probably jump on the chance. I think that makes the bike look ten times better. I'd have the paint reshot and leave all the honda/sh emblems off of it so that people could look at it and wonder, "What is that?"

superbling 04-03-2005 08:32 PM

Re: [ KB ] Single Sided Swing Arm Conversion

Unfortunately, the VFR SSS is much sought after by the cbr/gixxer crowd and who knows who else. That keeps prices up, generally $500+ for a full setup and that's just the VFR parts. You'll still need to fab up the exhaust and relocate the shock mount.

Brian was thinking about selling his at one time.......

stormsmasher 05-02-2005 11:04 AM

Re: [ KB ] Single Sided Swing Arm Conversion

1 Attachment(s)
Nice one mate and thanks for all the advice when I did mine.
I can't explain how cool it makes the bike look....even more so now mine is a street fighter.

Daz

daz.sear@ntlworld.com

chickenstrip 07-27-2005 10:09 AM

Sweet!
I owned a VFR before my Hawk. Frankly, I got tired of all the engineering involved with the VFR, preferring the simple, straight-forward approach to the Hawk. But seeing the clean look of the SSS set-up gets me thinking. The stock Hawk swingarm is dull by comparison.

How has the change affected handling? Does it change the wheelbase?

chickenstrip 07-27-2005 10:25 AM

Just noticed that the fairing is different also - the signals are relocated to the "scoops" and it extends down further to match up with the lowers.

I assume that's an aftermarket purchase, not a personal modification? Looks great! Details?

Thanks

W-O-T 08-26-2005 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by gadget";p=&quot (Post 8417)
Just noticed that the fairing is different also - the signals are relocated to the "scoops" and it extends down further to match up with the lowers.

I assume that's an aftermarket purchase, not a personal modification? Looks great! Details?

Thanks

I believe those fairings are the work of the Notorious Mario Nava in Italy who sells them.

http://web.tiscali.it/mario_nava/Vtrb_01.jpg

Here is a link to his VTR1000 pages

http://web.tiscali.it/mario_nava/index_e.html

Wraith 08-01-2006 12:01 PM

Well, i'd like to read the article, but the page keeps redirecting me to a maintenence screen...

Trey

Jake D 08-01-2006 12:18 PM

Mario looks like Aiden Quinn.

That SSSA is great. I wonder if the SSSA from the Hawk GT would work. I doubt it, I guess. Now if all the VFR owners would pile up their front ends for us. . .

Scooberhawk 08-01-2006 01:37 PM

People put VFR swingarms on Hawk GTs. It should work the other way around.

Wraith 08-01-2006 11:27 PM

Wow, just how much Site Maintenance is needed:confused:

Trey

superbling 08-02-2006 06:43 AM

The NT650 runs a much narrower wheel (and way uglier IMO).

Scooberhawk 08-02-2006 01:25 PM

Yeah, the main advantage to running a vfr swingarm is that the sought after vfr wheel would not have to be machined to make it fit. The nt650 wheel just uses a single nut, where the vfr has 4 lugs.

Jake D 08-02-2006 01:41 PM

True. The Hawk GT wheel is fugly, by comparison. For some reason, to me, the VFR wheel even looks kind of narrow.

Scooberhawk 08-02-2006 01:43 PM

I forget which is which. But they had 5" and a 5.5" wide, between the five spoke and eight spoke wheels.

102dals 08-11-2006 09:13 PM

Yeah, I'm thinking of this mod for my SH also. I own a HawkGT, and I've always thought the swingarm on my "Junior Hawk" was way cool. I can remove a rear wheel in less than a minute! VFRs and Hawks leave the disc and sprocket attached to the swingarm during wheel removal.
"Jr" currently has a modded VFR wheel to match the front F2 wheel I added along the way. My '96 VFR wheel was welded/machined to fit a stock Hawk spindle.

As far as width of VFR wheels is concerned... I did some research for the mods on "Jr".
90-93 VFRs had (have) 8 spoke wheels, 5.5" wide
94-97 VFRs had 5 spokers, 5" wide (slightly lighter)
98 & later VFRs had 5 spokers, 5.5" wide (as light as a 5")

All 3 of the wheels are visually different, and there are silver, gold, white or black wheels stock from Honda. All VFR wheels bolt up w/ 4 lug bolts. 1990 RC30s (also designated "VFR"s) had completely different wheels that are 8 spokers 6" wide (and won't work on other VFR hubs without significant mods).

Hawk GTs have 6 spoker 4.5" wheels, and their wheels (spokes & centers) are different from all US VFRs. Hawks in the US only had 1 type of wheel all 4 years they were made. European Hawks (called "Bros") switched to a different type in later years, when Honda stopped importing Hawks here.

Erik S. 11-03-2007 05:53 PM

Anyway this write-up can be ressurected? I get a "404 Error".

Thanks.

Erik

drew_c14 11-03-2007 07:31 PM

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ead.php?t=9874

it's a sticky in the knowledge base

Erik S. 11-04-2007 04:50 AM

Thanks Drew, I was looking around in there last night, must've missed it.