SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Worn Tire (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/worn-tire-34795/)

xeris 12-03-2017 04:28 PM

Worn Tire

The rear tire is at the end of its life I know, but I have not seen the type of wear before. About 5k miles.https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sup...c80a4145c6.jpg

Pretty sure the HRC throttle is responsible.

NHSH 12-03-2017 05:38 PM

What tire is it? Kinda quick.... also the cracks... are you sure the rear axle is adjusted correctly? maybe it's off a bit, or the rear wheels don't exactly follow the front?

NHSH 12-03-2017 05:40 PM

Actually, 5k miles doesn't sound unreasonable, depending on the tire and style of riding...

Wolverine 12-03-2017 06:45 PM

What's the date code on it?

CruxGNZ 12-03-2017 07:48 PM

Holy crack Batman! That's bat sh*t crazy. Glad you're addressing this, so you don't fly off your bike. Sorry, I just saw a bat on TV.

smokinjoe73 12-03-2017 09:22 PM

Hard to see in that pic whats going on. Did you do a few burnouts on that tire or just irresponsibly let it wear down to the cords?
Either way, I think its false frugality to let a tire get to that point. The level of safety anywhere near that point is so far below any sane standards that it shouldn't be done. (and I ride in 30*rain and in 0* weather).
My unsolicited advice is to never get on a bike with destroyed tires unless youre stranded in the desert and need to get to water.
Heck buy a used tire on ebay or CL before riding something unsafe. Biking is unsafe enough even on perfect equipment.

NHSH 12-03-2017 10:29 PM

These are stretch cracks, like stretch marks on skin, which means essentially that our friend Xeris is acceleration too fast :wheelie: :burnout:

xeris 12-04-2017 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 404903)
Hard to see in that pic whats going on. Did you do a few burnouts on that tire or just irresponsibly let it wear down to the cords?
Either way, I think its false frugality to let a tire get to that point. The level of safety anywhere near that point is so far below any sane standards that it shouldn't be done. (and I ride in 30*rain and in 0* weather).
My unsolicited advice is to never get on a bike with destroyed tires unless youre stranded in the desert and need to get to water.
Heck buy a used tire on ebay or CL before riding something unsafe. Biking is unsafe enough even on perfect equipment.

Yeah the photo isn't the best.
Tires are not old. Bike is at my garage, I'm not. Can look at the date code later today.
Alignment, thought of that and will check it. The overall wear is even and the tears are centered on the apex of the tread. So, maybe, but....
The cracks just appeared. Really they feel like tears not cracks. Only on about a 1/4 of the circumference. Not brave enough and too cheep to do burn outs. Not down to the cords, in fact there is still some, though very little, tread before the wear bars are flush.
Not something I would have expected from Pirelli.

CruxGNZ 12-04-2017 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by xeris (Post 404907)
Not something I would have expected from Pirelli.

Take a few more pictures with close ups and send them to Pirelli. Maybe you'd get some kind of discount on your next set of tires, or something.

You know, we've come to expect this kind of tearing, no, ripping apart of the rubber molecules from only Smokin's ATTACK motorcycle. So, you have one heck of a mighty powerful engine there sir.

jjansenrs 12-04-2017 08:30 AM

This looks fairly normal to me with aggressive riding in cold weather. Less than a mm of tread there and that rubber becomes very weak. Happens to most of my Metzeler M7rr's, not quite that severe though.

smokinjoe73 12-04-2017 10:39 AM

Did I mention replace that tire (preferably with a Dunlop roadsmart)

Don't ride on that...just in case you were thinking of it...

Wolverine 12-04-2017 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 404911)

Funny, I tried a few times to give a guy advice on running those in snow and ice (for safety reasons of course). I don't think he listened.

fabiostar 12-04-2017 01:52 PM

thats the carcass of the tyre starting to show through... its well past done

xeris 12-05-2017 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ (Post 404909)
Take a few more pictures with close ups and send them to Pirelli. Maybe you'd get some kind of discount on your next set of tires, or something.

You know, we've come to expect this kind of tearing, no, ripping apart of the rubber molecules from only Smokin's ATTACK motorcycle. So, you have one heck of a mighty powerful engine there sir.

Hadn't thought of contacting Pirelli. My guess is that, even if they respond, it will be my fault, ie: Pressure too high, pressure too low, tire is worn out and that what happens at the end of a tires life, didn't let the tire warm up before meat-fisting the throttle, road surfaces in Chochise County are too rough, too many LEO's per highway mile, you installed an HRC quick action throttle tube, etc.

Originally Posted by jjansenrs (Post 404910)
This looks fairly normal to me with aggressive riding in cold weather. Less than a mm of tread there and that rubber becomes very weak. Happens to most of my Metzeler M7rr's, not quite that severe though.

Wasn't that cold, but not that warm either. I do get on the throttle through a tight S curve, making the back end wiggle a bit, not very long after I leave my garage.
As with most things that go wrong around here, it's most likely my fault.

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 404911)

Too late for the thinking of it.
Ordered a new rear yesterday. Was going to get a set of RS III, but because of cost I went with another matching Pirelli rear. The RS III will have to wait till this set is done. You know, money.

Originally Posted by fabiostar (Post 404914)
thats the carcass of the tyre starting to show through... its well past done

Can't see the cords, but yeah, done.

fabiostar 12-07-2017 12:24 AM

ah the cords arnt far away but its the outer layers of the carcass your seeing.

skokievtr 12-12-2017 08:48 AM

Joe,

I'm running the RS3 now. But weird things can happen in one ride. On my last set of doughnuts (on my FJ-09), a set of highly touted Metzeler Roadtec 01s, I was keeping a careful eye on wear and air pressures. While they were getting down there, one day after maybe a short 300 mile moderately pace jaunt in only the mid-70s, when I checked my rear at a pit stop low and behold, cords! Frankly, I did not find the 01s much better than the PR4s (other than the PRs do get greasy in hot weather and often provide strong sphincter moments over warm tar snakes), and was very disappointed with only 8,300 miles out of the rear with cupping on the front.

I could not pass up the RS3s when they had a $100 debit card rebate earlier this year, so ultimate cost was under $200. So far, so good (contrary to the original RS I tried several sets ago) with over 5,600 miles until last week when winter nap time started here (I don't have a winter rat bike to ride so I would not care if it incrementally corroded away due to all the salt used here).