General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Who's still around, let's talk hawks.

Old 03-14-2018, 06:11 AM
Squid

scooterhawk is on a distinguished road
Who's still around, let's talk hawks.

Forum seems pretty dead, we should work to fix that.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:23 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
I agree, let's chat.

it's been an easy winter here, hoping for an early spring, got set back today though with a big snow storm.

speaking of storms, I have new ss brake hoses to install when I get some energy.

all these years later my my storm is still turning without manual ccts.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

AlanS is on a distinguished road
'Pretty dead' is probably par for the course at this point. There's a demographic that gravitates to these types of forums. It's a sub-set of all owners of a given motorcycle. Once a bike goes out of production, years pass, that relatively small number decreases as long-time owners move on to other more compelling interests (due to human nature) and park their bikes in the garage. There's also attrition (wrecked/failed bikes 'retired' to junk-yards). Without a fresh supply of bikes, the total number of bikes in operation decreases. Fewer bikes means fewer riders. Fewer riders mean less activity on these forums. This is the way of the world. Things are born. They grow. They enjoy their day in the sun. They die.

What we're left with is 'hardcore' riders. And 'newbies' (of which I'm one).

That said, there's an upside to 'our' story. The 'hardcore' group remaining here have 'seen it all' (or pretty much). They are a wonderful source of knowledge.

Alan
Old 03-14-2018, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I'm game. What the topic of choice?
Really looking forward to nicer weather. I have fresh fluid in the forks and haven't been able to ride it yet.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 PM
SuperBike

it really is a shame that Honda discontinued the hawk, and the rc51. I remember when they were released, they were the talk to the town. I feel if they had kept them up to speed with power and technology advances people would still have been buying them. the rc51 in particular, it was cutting edge. they just needed more power as time passed.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:00 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
still here, still have mods planned, waiting for parts...
Old 03-15-2018, 04:02 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
it really is a shame that Honda discontinued the hawk, and the rc51. I remember when they were released, they were the talk to the town. I feel if they had kept them up to speed with power and technology advances people would still have been buying them. the rc51 in particular, it was cutting edge. they just needed more power as time passed.
Sadly this seems to be the way of many of the good 90's bikes. My VFR800 would be a case in point, there's still a loyal following of past owners willing to update to the later model, but aside from the V4 engine there's not much to get someone to switch brands. Looked at in the cold light of day, there is no way a VTR1000F would pass the current noise or emission standards, and when you did manage that you might be left with a very emasculated machine.

I think we probably need to be realistic and say from a market perspective, big sport bikes may have had their day, and the focus now seems to be on the big ADV bikes, and retros. I think the Africa Twin was Honda's biggest selling large bike in Europe last year. The other strong trend is platform design, where a single chassis/engine platform gets used in a a number of different models, e.g. the CB500 and NT750 series, or the 700 and 900 models from Brand Y. Perhaps if the VTR motor could be updated and used for a retro naked, an ADV, and a sport bike, there might be some economic justification for the expense of updating.

Maybe Honda need to look at re-inventing a different retro style; instead of looking back to the air-cooled beasts of the 70's, maybe it is time to look at reinventing the look and style of the 80's! Can you imagine a VFR800 that carried the spirit/look of a 1983 VF750F Interceptor, but with modern running gear? Sounds like a project to me...

If you are at all interested in the internal machinations of Honda's development strategies, you can do worse than reading the book "Honda V4: The complete 4-stroke story" by Greg Pullen.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:44 PM
MotoGP

Had their day as far as sales #'s, maybe but, the best keeps getting better and better.
1,285cc's and 215hp of goodness. 344lbs dry.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:45 PM
SuperBike

yeah, I have a 1098 with 153hp/93lbft. Honda could have found more power too
Old 03-16-2018, 06:32 PM
MotoGP

Point was that I'm sure there would be no problem getting a big twin into emissions and noise limits.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Squid

PT Matt2 is on a distinguished road
I'm a noob here too. New to me 98 that I'm freshening up to have fun with.can't wait to get it up into the North Georgia mountains at the end of May with the Dymag wheels and get into some twisties, We have no real twisties in Florida.

I have a 99 Kawasaki ZRX 1100. The ZRXOA board is alive and thriving. Very active involvement. It can be done here too.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by PT Matt2
I'm a noob here too. New to me 98 that I'm freshening up to have fun with.can't wait to get it up into the North Georgia mountains at the end of May with the Dymag wheels and get into some twisties, We have no real twisties in Florida.

I have a 99 Kawasaki ZRX 1100. The ZRXOA board is alive and thriving. Very active involvement. It can be done here too.
I just went on a road trip to Clarksville Ga to buy a bike with a friend. 10 hours one way...
Old 03-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Wolverine
I just went on a road trip to Clarksville Ga to buy a bike with a friend. 10 hours one way...
About 8 hours 1 way for me, but WELL worth it. Been going up there every year for the past 10. We stay at High Valley Cabins in Suches, near Two Wheels Only. Has come out to less than $25 a night the last 2 years for me. 4 or 5 nights, usually 6 to a cabin, but they have beds for 8. Nice furnished kitchens, 2 bathrooms, 2 bedrooms and a loft. Very nice. Roads like heaven all around. It is literally on 180, Wolf Pen Gap Rd. Going to be a great year with the Superhawk up there with my Rex.

I took the picture, so I'm not in it. in the kitchen with ZRX folks making and eating Zepolies!

At Bridal Veil Falls. I'm the Green Power Ranger. My Rex is the far right one.

The cabins are wonderful. Cheaper than tent camping for relative luxury.

Hell of a view, too. Me and my Diet Coke say cheers!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:33 PM
MotoGP

THAT looks like a great time! I've ridden 129 and surrounding roads. The Cherohala Skyway is simply divine. Not been south of there. I'd like to hit what's called the back of the dragon this season.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:52 PM
Squid

THAT looks like a great time! I've ridden 129 and surrounding roads. The Cherohala Skyway is simply divine. Not been south of there. I'd like to hit what's called the back of the dragon this season.
Back of the Dragon is between Tazewell and Marion, Virginia, HWY 16. Been there a few times when we went to West Virginia. New River Gorge is a great area, lots of twisties.
Be careful in Virginia, watch your speed. Cops are much stricter there. Cherohala is wonderful, ridden it dozens of times. Will probably ride it at least twice in May/June.

I took the pic, so i'm not in it!
New River Gorge Bridge, West Virginia
In Robbinsville, GA. East side of the Cherohala Skyway. Just a few friends having fun!
HWY 52 between Elijay and Chatsworth, GA.
VERY nice road.

Living in Flat Florida, you can see why I love the mountains so much!
Old 03-21-2018, 08:16 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AlanS
'Pretty dead' is probably par for the course at this point. There's a demographic that gravitates to these types of forums. It's a sub-set of all owners of a given motorcycle. Once a bike goes out of production, years pass, that relatively small number decreases as long-time owners move on to other more compelling interests (due to human nature) and park their bikes in the garage. There's also attrition (wrecked/failed bikes 'retired' to junk-yards). Without a fresh supply of bikes, the total number of bikes in operation decreases. Fewer bikes means fewer riders. Fewer riders mean less activity on these forums. This is the way of the world. Things are born. They grow. They enjoy their day in the sun. They die.

What we're left with is 'hardcore' riders. And 'newbies' (of which I'm one).

That said, there's an upside to 'our' story. The 'hardcore' group remaining here have 'seen it all' (or pretty much). They are a wonderful source of knowledge.

Alan
What he said.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:48 AM
Back Marker

fabiostar is on a distinguished road
over on this side of the pond at least, facebook has killed a lot of forums of all types, its just to easy to click,take a picture and your away....
i still like forums tho as you tend to get less ********* on them than facebook... so im still here..mind you im not saying im not a ******** lol
Old 03-23-2018, 02:32 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by fabiostar
over on this side of the pond at least, facebook has killed a lot of forums of all types, its just to easy to click,take a picture and your away....
i still like forums tho as you tend to get less ********* on them than facebook... so im still here..mind you im not saying im not a ******** lol
I completely agree about the tossers on the Facebook. There's plenty who will happily jump on comments just for the pleasure of causing an argument. I would much rather engage with the folks here or on the other forums that I frequent, specifically the ST Owners (for my ST1100) and VFR World and VFR Discussion (for my VFR800). Over the years I have had some amazing technical help from many people I've never met in person from all over the world.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:42 PM
MotoGP

Yep, I agree with that for sure. I got into a "discussion" with a guy about something in a FB group and he was dead wrong about the topic. Then I looked at his profile and it turns out he was maybe 14/15 yrs old. DOH! My bad.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:53 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Still here,

Old 03-24-2018, 07:47 AM
SuperBike

we got another 30cms of snow the other day. so I am working on replacing the brake and clutch lines on my hawk. what a pia to bleed the front brakes and clutch

Last edited by finepooch; 03-24-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:33 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Still here as well, not about to give up on my favorite bike... love it too much.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:37 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road

Just saying...
Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by finepooch
we got another 30cms of snow the other day. so I am working on replacing the brake and clutch lines on my hawk. what a pia to bleed the front brakes and clutch
If ya get frustrated enough, try a syringe and reverse bleed by pushing fluid from the caliper nipple up. Works a charm.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:36 PM
Squid

Jake2345 is on a distinguished road
I'm still here and still loving my Hawk
Old 03-25-2018, 03:34 PM
SuperBike

If ya get frustrated enough, try a syringe and reverse bleed by pushing fluid from the caliper nipple up. Works a charm.
thanks for the tip. I eventually got everything bled by using the banjo bolt at the master cylinder as a bleed screw. if the air bubbles won't be pushed down through the brake fluid, then why not try letting them out at the top? and it seems to have worked.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:29 PM
Squid

Bpiv172 is on a distinguished road
I just bought my first hawk a few days ago, absolutely fell in love with it. it died on me yesterday. Whole system just shut down and nothing at all works. I think I'm going to replace the regulator rectifier first.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:47 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by Bpiv172
I just bought my first hawk a few days ago, absolutely fell in love with it. it died on me yesterday. Whole system just shut down and nothing at all works. I think I'm going to replace the regulator rectifier first.
The bike will run without a functioning charging system (alternator and RR) as long as you have a decently charged battery installed. If the bike won't run with just the battery, then the RR is not your (only) problem. Hate to teach you to suck eggs, but you have checked all the fuses already, especially the 30A main fuse (which is part of the starter solenoid under the tail cowl, not in the fuse box)?

Last edited by Cadbury64; 03-27-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Squid

Bpiv172 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cadbury64
The bike will run without a functioning charging system (alternator and RR) as long as you have a decently charged battery installed. If the bike won't run with just the battery, then the RR is not your (only) problem. Hate to teach you to suck eggs, but you have checked all the fuses already, especially the 30A main fuse (which is part of the starter solenoid under the tail cowl, not in the fuse box)?
Okay I checked that main fuse and it was blown, now everytime I pop a new one in it instantly blows. What would be causing that?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:48 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Originally Posted by Bpiv172
Okay I checked that main fuse and it was blown, now everytime I pop a new one in it instantly blows. What would be causing that?
According to the wiring diagram, there are two wires leading from the fuse, the red/white one goes to the Regulator/Rectifier, the solid red wire goes to the ignition. Disconnect one at a time and see which causes the fuse to blow. Maybe you were right to replace the RR first!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who's still around, let's talk hawks.