SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Whew, finally done. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/whew-finally-done-20316/)

Just_Nick 09-30-2009 10:53 PM

Whew, finally done.

So I just got finished putting the Hawk back together. I didn't like the main jets in there, so I tried moving down a size to see the difference. I also threw in the 50 pilot jets and raised the needle up half a clip, using a spacer, to see if I could get rid of that damn flat spot I had around 3-4k.
Basically I just made a whole new starting point, because I did not like where I was currently. I will toss the 50 pilots if they are too rich, and I might go a bit leaner on mains to see if I can squeeze a bit more power out of the top-end. Meanwhile, I think that midrange should be spot on. If not, it was probably too lean to begin with and I need to lower the needle.
Meanwhile I got pissed at all the PAIR crap, and I have a Cali model as well with all the extra emissions crap, so I went ahead and disabled the PAIR, snapping a bolt in the process of loosening(I know, wtf?) a reed cover, and got rid of the canister and all the other emissions stuff.
Thank god all those hoses are gone, it annoyed me to no end trying to hook up all the random hoses. Now there is so much more space, and it's really nice.
It's 12:47 over here, so I will leave a test ride for tomorrow. I'm hoping I got everything hooked up and plugged up right. See if that 50 pilot jet gets me 2-gear wheelies
Also, when the PO painted the bike, they got some overspray on the airbox and some of the interior plastic stuff, so I went ahead and painted the sides of the airbox with a coat of gloss black. Now it looks much better when you look into the frame.

comedo 10-01-2009 06:53 AM

You aren't alone in snapping a bolt on a reed valve cover. That's one reason I tolerate the PAIR system on my VTR.

Just_Nick 10-01-2009 08:54 AM

I can't believe it snapped when I was loosening it though. Someone torqued it down.

stebbdt 10-01-2009 09:12 AM

Yeah, I snapped one of mine off too, lol, damn things are so small it feels like it's loosening, when it's really yielding. Holding fine for now with the one, I'll drill it out this winter

8541Hawk 10-01-2009 09:19 AM

So what jet kit did you end up putting in it or did it already have one in there? If the mid-range is too lean, you need to raise the needle not lower it.
Did you get a chance to check the TPS to see if it is set correctly?

Just_Nick 10-01-2009 10:32 AM

I have a FP 1.1 TI jet kit in there right now.
I didn't like the 178/180 combo in there, I think it was a bit too rich, so I moved back to 175/178 to see if that helps.
I did raise the needle, not the clip, using a spacer.
I rode the bike around the block and noticed I had my mid-range pull back. Bike wasn't warm, but I think the pilots are too rich. It wasn't pulling the front up like it was before. But I'll dick with those when I'm finished adjusting the main jets and needles.

Just_Nick 10-01-2009 11:14 AM

And no, I have not gotten around to doing the TPS or syncing the carbs. I will do both of those next time I go in to pull the 50 pilots. Probably going to 48s.

8541Hawk 10-01-2009 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Just_Nick (Post 237049)
And no, I have not gotten around to doing the TPS or syncing the carbs. I will do both of those next time I go in to pull the 50 pilots. Probably going to 48s.

The 48's and stock mains work well on my set up.

Just_Nick 10-01-2009 12:30 PM

Is that you Mike?