SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   what's the best aftermarket windshield? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/whats-best-aftermarket-windshield-6478/)

gryhound89 12-17-2004 02:06 PM

what's the best aftermarket windshield?

I'm looking for an aftermarket windshield for my hawk, was wondering if anyone can recommend something. there's so much crap out there it's hard to know which one to get. I'm looking for something that will give me a little more protection than the stock one. who's got one that looks good installed, and is nicely made?

puntobrava 12-18-2004 05:05 PM

Re: what's the best aftermarket windshield?

1 Attachment(s)
zero gravity makes 3 for the s-hawk, one that is basically a stock replacement, another which is a moto-gp double-bubble design, and a quite high sport-touring model.

i can only speak to the sport touring which i installed and tested last weekend, and then later put the factory one back on. the wind protection is a little better, though it pushes the wind more in your neck area, than into your chest as the stock one does. i can imagine that the double bubble (which is quite popular) is somewhere in-between.

mind you, you will have to unscrew the instrument cluster and the mirrors to install it - not hard, but be very careful not to yank the cluster from its power receptacle.

good luck!
gs.

www.zerogravity-racing.com

here are comparison pics:

Random 12-18-2004 10:04 PM

I can remove mine by just removing the mirrors. You shouldn't need to remove the gauge cluster.

I picked up the "SST" screen. Imagine the "tall" Zero Gravity screen that has a 3" turned up LIP on the top of it. It's BUTT UGLY, but it sure keeps the wind off you. I use it for long distance trips.

For eveyday, I have a standard screen that's tinted red that I picked up off ebay.

gryhound89 12-19-2004 01:29 PM

thanks for the info, I'll probably go with the double bubble type.

cdyer77 12-19-2004 03:19 PM

I have the double bubble, which works pretty good when your regular riding. The best part about it is when your in full tuck the double bubble lets the air skim over the top of your helmet. No head bobbing.

HotStreetVTR 12-21-2004 09:00 PM

My vote is that the Zero Gravity double-bubble smoke windscreen was sent by the angels--sent to relieve neck strain at "aggressive" highway cruising-speeds.

My previous VTR had a Zero Gravity double-bubble windscreen, and I miss it so. Hence, I plan to add one to "SuperChicken III". The big difference that the double-bubble windscreen makes is most noticable at speeds in excess of 80 mph: no more gruelling neck strain from deflected wind catching the underside of a full-face helmet. (Thank you, angels!) https://www.superhawkforum.com/image...s/icon_lol.gif

cheers,
--HotStreetVTR :lol:

superbling 12-21-2004 09:13 PM

Another vote for the ZG DB. I'm 5'10'' and it's very smooth at the helmet level and a little more turbulent at the shoulders.

NOrrTH 12-22-2004 01:48 PM

I have a Puig. The Zero Gravity windscreen looks like it came out of a cereal box compared to it. Honestly.

spacemonkey 12-25-2004 06:19 PM

the ZG double bubble looks great just got one for christmas took about 10 mins to install didn't go for a long ride kansas winter is not much fun on a cycle but it seems to direct the wind over instead of in to your face looks kool to

Hawkrider 12-28-2004 04:07 PM

I suggest either a Pyramid or Puig. They are MUCH better built than the ZG, and (this may have changed) ZG does not use the mirrors/fairing stay as a mounting point. They are much thinner and vibrate more.

Lewy 12-30-2004 02:57 AM

I have a double buuble MRA tint excellent quality. 6'3" allows me to tuck behind screen. www.mra.com.de

Rich A 12-31-2004 09:19 AM

I have the pyramid, had the ZG double bubble, the ZG is definately much thinner and poor quality by comparison. It seems that the european made screens are better quality than ours (USA).

If you can find a Puig, Pyramid or other non USA made screen for a good price, go with it. However with the weak dollar european made accessories are getting expensive. :(

pickle.of.doom 01-02-2005 10:58 AM

Anyone have experience with the Lockhart Phillips screen?

moto-rama 01-10-2005 09:37 PM

Pyramid....
No comparison with the others, i.e. LP or Shades etc.
But alas they may not be available for sale as new anymore.
Anyone know for sure?
Jim

javert87 01-11-2005 04:08 AM

I have a Pyramid DB screen, it's great. Thick, rigid...You can buy Pyramid stuff at DynamoHumm.com.

Shmittay 01-18-2005 11:35 AM

I have the Puig screen. Very nice quality. Did not need removal of the gauges to install it.