SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   What lil quirks does your bike have that annoy you? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/what-lil-quirks-does-your-bike-have-annoy-you-9032/)

EngineNoO9 06-27-2006 03:12 PM

What lil quirks does your bike have that annoy you?

We all love our bikes but no bike doesn't have lil things about it that annoy you.. Little scratch in it here or there, or stupid things you just can't figure out.

well I'm fixing the ones that were my fault - aka using dot 5 so I won't list that. The biggest thing is I'll feel a click in the bars when I stop every now and then, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. My front end was recently rebuilt and I had it before then. So it was either that and they didn't fix it or something else. I don't feel any notches in the head bearing, I can't replicate it in the parking lot standing still rocking the bike back and forth like I could before the front end rebuild, and I still haven't quite gotten the carbs perfect.

sprhawk neil 06-27-2006 03:26 PM

I have that same click I was sure it was the head bearings? Also the guy I bought mine from epoxied a watch face to the tripple clamp doahh!!!

EngineNoO9 06-27-2006 03:28 PM

really? maybe I'll get it swapped later on but it really isn't hurting anything. haha I like the watch. I was just gonna velcro one on

sprhawk neil 06-27-2006 03:36 PM

well at least that way you could remove it!! I'll have to grind mine off!! what a moron.Also I noticed upon inspection that after I stop and get the (click) if I back the bike up with the front brakes applied I get the same breif (click) wich led me to believe there was play in the bearings?

jschmidt 06-27-2006 03:59 PM

It's the accelerator cable clicking on the fairing.

EngineNoO9 06-27-2006 04:03 PM

interesting... I might try and see if I can replicate that...

BirdofParadise 06-27-2006 04:13 PM

Could that click be the pads moving inside the caliper?

Usually if you put your front wheel against a curb and let up a little (a little) on the clutch while giving a little throttle you will see \ feel looseness, indicating the beaings, a worn race, or improperly torqued bolts.

I think the notches are more prone to occur when some one has been a "Wheelie" bad boy or they like to ride up and down stairways (some people's kids Sheesh).

On my bike it has to be the drinking problem. With tons of slow moving vehicles and up hill both ways I never get a chance to see overdrive or get out of third gear for that matter so mileage SUX. And my nuts could use some relief from the ever present "birth control design" but a new seat should help with that.

sprhawk neil 06-27-2006 04:17 PM

does not seem to be pads but can't rule that out.but boy do I wheelie this thing when it's so easy how can you help yourself

BirdofParadise 06-27-2006 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by sprhawk neil
does not seem to be pads but can't rule that out.but boy do I wheelie this thing when it's so easy how can you help yourself

To quote another member...ahem,
"Wheelies are bad MKAY....so you are being a wheelie bad man MKAY" :-)
LOL that kills me.

Wheelie on dude!

Hawkrider 06-27-2006 05:27 PM

The thing I don't like about my bike right now is the fact that it doesn't have any wheels.

As far as the click goes, the semi-floating rotors get some play in them after many thousands of miles. I have the same thing. Doesn't bother me much since I wear earplugs and couldn't hear anything over the exhaust anyways.

EngineNoO9 06-27-2006 05:37 PM

hmm that's always possible too. never thought of that. ha no wheels. see that at least is a relatively easy fix. buy wheels!

superbling 06-27-2006 06:05 PM

Mine had a clunk on moderate to hard stops. New neck bearings fixed it.

I've tried to fix most of mine. I have a difficult time locating the kickstand. I rarely hit it first time.

marmaladedad 06-27-2006 07:45 PM

Like most owners, I'm gonna have to say, the bike's range.

Hawkrider 06-27-2006 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
hmm that's always possible too. never thought of that. ha no wheels. see that at least is a relatively easy fix. buy wheels!

Wheels are being powdercoated black at the moment. Just yesterday they went from the blasters to the coaters. I should have them back beginning of next week I hope. New bearings have been here for a couple of days now.

Got a cool-assed rear rotor off ebay the other day for $36. Not quite a wave or petal rotor but close, and made by EBC. It's their new style.

Bike is currently on jackstands on the swingarm and hanging from the rafters on the front. I had to use the stands to revalve the 1000RR forks tonight. Lotsa fun!!!

Speed_Demon 06-27-2006 08:23 PM

No quirks for me. I changed anything I didn't like.

denmah 06-27-2006 08:45 PM

cct's breaking DOH!

EngineNoO9 06-27-2006 08:47 PM

my bike's quirk is being faster then yours :grin:

BirdofParadise 06-28-2006 02:07 AM

my bike's quirk is being faster then yours :grin:

That is not a quirk...red is aspost to be faster. :-)

MisterMohawk 06-28-2006 02:29 AM

For some reason when I get on the throttle in first and second at low rpms (and maybe higher rpms, just can't hear over the exhaust) I can hear a kind of squeaking coming from (I think) the front end. It's ONLY when I open the throttle. With steady throttle I can't hear it. I had a friend ride the bike to try to listen for it, and I heard it as he pulled away but he couldn't hear it. I can't replicate it standing still, up on stands, anything. It hasn't gotten worse, it just appeared one day and drives me batshit.

denmah 06-28-2006 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by EngineNo09
my bike's quirk is being faster then yours ;-)

*looks at watch, taps foot*
*waits for dyno sheet and timeslip*

Erion_squid 06-28-2006 05:16 AM

I have to say....all that power to the rear wheel when you have not ridden in a while. I mean come on, who really wants to pop a wheelie!

LOL. i love it...yes it has quirks but so does my girlfriend...at least i can modify the bike

EngineNoO9 06-28-2006 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by BirdofParadise
That is not a quirk...red is aspost to be faster. :-)

that was directed to denmah. he has a red one too. we have a little rivalry going on :twisted:

hey the dyno is coming. you'll see the wrath that is my superchicken soon

superhawk22 06-28-2006 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Speed_Demon
No quirks for me. I changed anything I didn't like.

+1 Now I just need about 30 more horses!:twisted:

denmah 06-28-2006 10:46 AM

that was directed to denmah. he has a red one too. we have a little rivalry going on :twisted:

hey the dyno is coming. you'll see the wrath that is my superchicken soon

your gunna be embarassed when your hawk doesnt pull what mine does, and your gunna cry when my 636 pulls 108whp stock!

superhawk22 06-28-2006 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by denmah
your gunna be embarassed when your hawk doesnt pull what mine does, and your gunna cry when my 636 pulls 108whp stock!

And you'll cry if a Superhawk flys by you on the track!:twisted: J/K

cmw 06-28-2006 11:47 AM

i'm going to say that the steering head bearings might be loose. what you are describing used to be a problem with my '89 hawk gt. every 5k or so they would need a little wrenching. apparently honda is one of the few manufacturers that still uses a typical ball bearing assembly at the steering head (most others use roller bearings).

with the hawk gt you could upgrade the stock bearings to tapered roller bearings which don't need adjustment like the oem part... i think i've seem a similar upgrade for the superhawk on ebay.

EngineNoO9 06-28-2006 11:55 AM

yeah but the thing is if it was that I could replicate it in the parking lot.

cmw 06-28-2006 12:12 PM

i used to notice it especially when braking short at a relatively low speed... i.e. in traffic. but i also found that it wasn't totally regular, like the chases in the bearing were wearing unevenly and just the right move would make it click.

it took a while to track down but when it was fixed it was great... and when the sound came back i would reckognize it right away.

talk to a mechanic about it... the hawk took a special tool to tighten things up but it didn't take a long time to do. if it doesn't work it's one (cheap) thing to check off the list.

penst8grad 06-28-2006 01:50 PM

Mileage, but I knew about that before I bought it.

Stalling under VERY hard braking. That's gets pretty annoying.

Beat to $hit left fairing, but that one is my fault.

Mick-e 06-28-2006 02:33 PM

We all love our bikes but no bike doesn't have lil things about it that annoy you.. Little scratch in it here or there, or stupid things you just can't figure out.

well I'm fixing the ones that were my fault - aka using dot 5 so I won't list that. The biggest thing is I'll feel a click in the bars when I stop every now and then, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. My front end was recently rebuilt and I had it before then. So it was either that and they didn't fix it or something else. I don't feel any notches in the head bearing, I can't replicate it in the parking lot standing still rocking the bike back and forth like I could before the front end rebuild, and I still haven't quite gotten the carbs perfect.

I replaced my damn steering head bearings twice before I found the click in my bike. Front wheel bearrings. Completely blown to shit.