SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   What do you consider hard riding? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/what-do-you-consider-hard-riding-16985/)

Barch 12-16-2008 10:19 AM

What do you consider hard riding?

The "Do I have a Chance?" post got me wondering what members here consider "hard riding." It would be interesting to know what your ages are as well.

I'm 40 and have been riding for over half my life, but I can't imagine riding to the limits of my '03 SH. I live Kentucky and would put our twisties up against almost any other area in the nation. That being said, I've yet to feel safe enough on our public roads to get up to knee scraping speed. I've broken 110mph, but can't imagine maintaining in that range.

I'm not asking about extremes, or how stupid you got one afternoon ten years ago. I'm wondering how members define a challenging, yet controlled ride.

Little_Horse 12-16-2008 10:34 AM

well for me its defined first by my chicken strips if there is not one on the rear, and about 1/4 to half in on the front, I was riding "hard". As far as control if I keep it between the lines and don't have any "pucker" moments because of my entrance speeds I had a "good hard run":D. I don't usually blast the straights. I really like the twisties.

Age 24

LineArrayNut 12-16-2008 10:46 AM

if you're scraping the hero pegs and don't have much or any chicken strip, you're riding hard.

Erik S. 12-16-2008 10:54 AM

I'm good with their descriptions. Next summer, it will be again no chicken strips on the rear, and some tire lifting as I exit the twisties. If I can get the front chicken strip to disappear, that would be hard riding.

killer5280 12-16-2008 12:04 PM

Because of the profiles of the tires it is doubtful if you will be able to get rid of the front "chicken strip." I see well ridden race bikes with strips like that on the front tire. Getting rid of it would likely necessitate crashing.

Tweety 12-16-2008 12:05 PM

The hero feelers are permanently gone and I'm working on grinding of the thread for them, corner by corner... No chicken strip in the rear, little in front...

On a good run I definetly get my ass moving side to side, and knee down, but usually won't scrape the pads on a public road... I'll reserve that and scraping metal for tracks... I prefer a healty margin on open roads... Cagers are big, mean and hard...:(

Altough "riding hard" for me means track... pure and simple... And there "hard" means I stop pushing when the rear starts hopping under breaking and the chassie is squirrely under me, on power in mid corner... And at that point the bike most certainly have more to give, altough I'm at my limit...

Age? well... about 6 or so...:D (*5)

Gregw 12-16-2008 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by killer5280 (Post 192758)
Getting rid of it would likely necessitate crashing.

Or a belt sander, but that's cheating.;)

RPV-Hawk 12-16-2008 01:25 PM

If you drag the exhaust mid pipes and kick stand (while retracted) without crashing, that's riding hard. I manged it @ spring Mountain Motorsports park (racetrack)... THAT was hard riding. I don't go anywhere CLOSE to that on the street.

L8RGYZ 12-16-2008 01:44 PM

Gee, pretty much like what was said above. But you have to pick your spots.

First & foremost it's about being in control; keeping it in my lane. It helps to really know the road if you're gonna run hard. Visibility: is there a driveway around that corner? Within those limits, as long as I'm on a really good road out in the middle of nowhere, I like to ride as hard as possible while still feeling in complete control.

lazn 12-16-2008 01:58 PM

I scrape the pegs regularly but the little nubs on the front tire never get worn off the edges.. rear they do, but never the front.

jonnyd 12-16-2008 02:51 PM

Up in the mountains, anything that's double the posted speed limit I consider "hard riding". I don't even get close but I've seen plenty pass me up that do. I've done it in a car, but even with super soft tires I was still sliding.

With balls like that on a mountain road, I'm not exactly sure how they get on their bikes. I'm 31, and think I'm a pretty conservative rider.

motojoe 12-16-2008 04:49 PM

Riding Hard: Finding ones limits(the point of you screaming at yourself under your helmet "Oh my God I'm gonna crash if I don't slow down") and riding just under that threshold. After all there is no standard. Just you and your bike and what ever level you care to ride at. Age 41.

RoofCleanPhenom 12-16-2008 04:54 PM

I'm 26.

Not sure what "hard riding" could be here in Florida.
I only have a handful of roads that can claim contribution to the "holy knees" in my riding pants. I get 'er up to around 155 or so on the interstate, then my twisty turny adventures are normally ridden at around 100-120mph. Self admittedly, some curves have me slowing a bit more than I normally would, but the bike IS fast...and I'd rather not trash it lol.
Hard riding for this here florida dude is anything that gets me outta 4th gear and sends me on an turn angle of harder than 45 degrees. (keeping the rpm's in the 10-12k range adds to it too)

RoofCleanPhenom 12-16-2008 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jonnyd (Post 192784)
Up in the mountains, anything that's double the posted speed limit I consider "hard riding". I don't even get close but I've seen plenty pass me up that do. I've done it in a car, but even with super soft tires I was still sliding.

With balls like that on a mountain road, I'm not exactly sure how they get on their bikes. I'm 31, and think I'm a pretty conservative rider.

LMAO!!

Na it's not that hard. After a while, we learn to just lug our right nut over the tank to where it sits comfortably in a riding position.
Usually the left ball hangs a little lower (next to the choke) but gotta watch out, sometimes it catches road rash around those corners.

LineArrayNut 12-17-2008 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by RoofCleanPhenom (Post 192801)
I'm 26.

(keeping the rpm's in the 10-12k range adds to it too)

Have you seen the dyno charts? not much point in revving it past 9200 IMNSHO. And the redline is there for a reason, ya' know?

Jim TT 12-17-2008 01:24 PM

I am 57 and started with a Honda CL90 in 1968. I am in shape and workout so that I can ride hard; on a race track riding hard is using all the tire with inside boot scraping the pavement. If sport touring ,riding hard is covering 890+ miles on my VFR in one day (i did this again last summer and felt strong even though before I started I was not sure I still had it in me).

cameron 12-17-2008 03:51 PM

i think any ride where you get the blood pumping is hard enough. and i wouldnt waste my time street racing. im still learning to ride and get better every season. i know that a pretty tame ride now would = heart pounding excitment in my first season. i believe that if you have no chickenstrips riding on the road you are probally riding very close to getting hurt.

chevy 12-17-2008 07:29 PM

Riding Hard

:peepwall: 29 yrs

well, well, well

I see most Gents here agree that the twisties at high rpms is the ideal picture of riding hard.:horse:

Me personally here in south georgia with tons of back roads with lots of straights............and open country highway my thing is keeping an eye for ol ga state patrol..........and from there "superman" hold throttle and make the heart beat.....120 and let off the gas to make the v twin make the jardine's bark..........break back down to 75- 80 and ride...............then a few miles out side the next town....'Superman":wheelie:

just a lil fun.......................not going around curves at 150 trying to scrape medal and to remove a chicken strip......I guess I'll be a chicken After all what is a HAWk...lol:draggin:

speed burst here and there in a pack of 3 or 5 riders maintaining distance and displacement........120 mi all around trip.

Truckinduc 12-17-2008 11:59 PM

this is what i called "hard riding" on my monster.

I raised the back of the bike 2 inches to aid turn in. I made rearsets that moved my footpegs up 1.5 inches and inward 1 inch.

I made a new kickstand mount to tuck it up and out of the way better.

With the balls of my feet on the pegs I would wear through the rubber on the toes of my boots in about 20 miles of so called "hard riding".

I no longer have knee sliders on my leathers as i cant afford them, but my knee has touched the ground on accident with my other leather riding pants.

When my rear tire would get semi worn i could feel the rear end stepping out under hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear. Adjusting tire pressure didnt really help.

I miss that bike, i had it set up perfect for the never ending twisties that im surrounded by.

And if you wanna drag hard parts doing about 130 ill show you where to do it.

RCVTR 12-18-2008 09:24 AM

I'm with RPV-Hawk.

When you drag the kickstand on the left and midpipe on the right, you're riding a Super Hawk hard. You will only get there on track days.

Once you do that, it starts looking silly to try it on the street.

I'm looking forward to riding a real track bike!!

RCVTR 12-18-2008 09:52 AM

I was riding pretty hard - not that hard. Still don't remember what happened. I hear it was black sand. I cut to the inside of the outside tire lane.

http://i43.tinypic.com/2nqfomb.jpg

Cleveland 12-18-2008 10:00 AM

OOF!.. RCVTR, how long ago was that... and have you come back to 100% yet?

On a lighter note: Hard riding vs Riding hard... Hard riding is in the rain at night in a hurricane, with high winds for three hours. Riding hard is riding anywhere near your limits for an extended period of time.

RCVTR 12-18-2008 02:49 PM

Sept. 28, 2005.
Yep, made a 100+% recovery - amazing!
Impacted at my left shoulder. Broke 4 ribs and a collarbone. No other injuries! Body armor is the shit!

I was unconcious for 20-25 minutes. everyone thought I was dead. Except my buddy Steve. he's a paramedic and was riding 2 bikes in front. My buddy Zach hit the sand in front of me and recovered. I probably hit the sand he pulled out and lost the front at ~80 MPH. Bounced off the embankment and pinwheeled along the road, ending up in the ditch.

I woke up and saw Steve holding his thumb in the middle of my forehead to keep me from moving around. Nex thing I knew I was in the chopper.

It had been a long day of hard riding (rain, snow, dirt, gravel), then the weather cleared and we had hours of incredible twisties - super focused, on it. I got a SoBe and was having a sugar crash, I could feel myself losing focus. We were on big sweepers on th Klamath River. I thought "shit, we're going to fast." that's all I remember.

Jim TT 12-18-2008 04:28 PM

VCVTE - I had the same kind of injuries - collarbone, ribs, Punchered lung and was unconcious, this was in 1993. I think these are common injuries (painful also).

RCVTR 12-18-2008 04:52 PM

Yeah punctured lung too. The Ortho looked at the X-Rays and just shook his head.

Pain - lots of it - for a long itme. I thought the damn ribs would never stop moving around. The ends were just kind of floating in space. Ughh. it was a full 10 weeks of misery. But I only missed 1 week of work! I must have been a sight, driving over Kingsbury Grade, dosing on Vicodin, with one arm.

As soon as the Doc gave me the all-clear, I started at the Gym. I was skiing by January 1st.

Now, if my wife would just get over it...

Hotbrakes 12-18-2008 07:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
27 yo
Hard riding- long ride in adverse conditions (over 500 miles) such as unfamiliar territory in the dark, rain, snow, or spirited sport riding on a race bike.

Riding hard- constant elevated pulse with frequent spikes, a pace that is not maintainable for more than 20 minutes or so, a pace that could put me in jail, a pace where other riders are crashing behind me (happened 3 times), a pace that I am losing traction in near perfect conditions (that's how you get rid of the front chicken strip- you slide it around).

This is not riding hard, just fun and smooth. I am well under the 55mph limit with a perfect line of sight. Someone earlier said somthing about keeping it in their lane...if y'all only knew the truth :evillaugh:.
Attachment 30061
Attachment 30062
This is riding too hard...
Attachment 30063:evillaugh:

steve.g 12-19-2008 05:40 PM

Lot of interesting perspectives.I'm 50 and been riding all my adult life.To me "riding hard" is pushing to the edge/beyond my own "comfort zone".That can be anything from trying to beat a personal best time on a favorite road,to staying in the saddle that extra 50 miles on a long ride,or even trying to scrape parts I never scraped before.I do find that the older I get,the stronger the sense of my own mortality becomes and therefore the fewer chances I take on public roads.Never done a track day,but hope to remedy that next summer at Brainard...:shock:

chevy 12-19-2008 08:01 PM

well addressed TOPic......from all angles and from all age groups.

trinc 12-19-2008 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by RCVTR (Post 193020)
I'm with RPV-Hawk.

When you drag the kickstand on the left and midpipe on the right, you're riding a Super Hawk hard. You will only get there on track days.

Once you do that, it starts looking silly to try it on the street.

I'm looking forward to riding a real track bike!!

+1 ... the level is pretty dramatic. i've pushed mine pretty hard on both. i do prefer the track though... :). i remember reading peoples comments about the faster you get at the track the slower you are on the road. for me it's true. just no reason to push that hard.

tim

dantropolis 12-20-2008 08:49 PM

Q: What do you consider hard riding?

A: Ask your sister.

Sorry.

Out.