General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 03:29 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
too bad its 4$ a gallon, I only use it when I park, of course when i'm out riding I have to use regular crap
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Took it for a ride today to get it inspected, wooden brakes and shopping cart handling and all.
Bonus, I got to ride five bikes today!
Old 03-21-2019, 07:44 PM
Throbbing Member
Squid

BillP is on a distinguished road
I paid for it.

Old 03-22-2019, 04:29 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
All right you are in! And the fastest color too. Looks nice whats the yr/milage?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:50 AM
Throbbing Member
Squid

It's a 98, not quite 7k miles. Stock but for exhaust, jet kit, and manual CCTs. She clean

Old 03-22-2019, 06:59 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Awesome bike with so few miles! Do the suspension, you wont be sorry. It needs it. I like the high mount carbon exhaust.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:16 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
"It's a 98, not quite 7k miles. Stock but for exhaust, jet kit, and manual CCTs. She clean"

Wow well preserved time-warp bike - Years ago bought my red '97 in 2001 with 6.5k and still going strong now with x10 the milage.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:59 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
That is a very clean bike, looks like it was kept in a time capsule!!! Going forward 21 years to our future :-) nice find, welcome to the club.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:55 PM
Squid

VTRsquid is on a distinguished road
^ yeah that is a rare find indeed! what are your plans for the young lady? preserve her honour - or make a woman of her?

I got acquainted with mine a bit today,, removed the fairings for the first time, removed about a bucket full of wiring and flasher modules and crappy HID headlight, replaced with a phillips LED (much cleaner white light MUCH less wiring clutter), learned the stupid way that the fuel tank doesnt have an automatic or vacuum operated fuel **** (****!)
Got a new front tyre, rear disc and pads which i forsee will be needed for roadworthy test. Holding off putting the brake on untill my sprockets land on the doorstep. Then -> off to the mechanic this week so they can do the test and i can complete the paper work.
After that, some weekend in the near future, ive got about 5 tons more backyard wiring to remove, a radiator flush, PAIR delete, clean the headers all fluids and filters, braided brake lines etc, etc etc, at some point the dreaded CCT's which scares me. Im almost thinking about trying my luck and running the gauntlet on those.

Last edited by VTRsquid; 03-22-2019 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:42 AM
Throbbing Member
Squid

Originally Posted by VTRsquid
^ yeah that is a rare find indeed! what are your plans for the young lady? preserve her honour - or make a woman of her?.
I'm undecided. I had always sworn that if I found a clean Superhawk, I'd buy it, and here I am with one that's 21 years old and it's never seen a raindrop. I know it seems stupid, but I'm almost afraid to ride it. There is, no kidding, not a scratch on it. I halfway want to put frame sliders all over it and replace anything that could get damaged in a tipover or crash. By the time I've paid for all that, I could buy a whole 'nother bike to ride. I'm really conflicted. My VFR is almost as minty as the 'Hawk, and I'm always terrified that I'm going to drop it while practicing low speed drills etc.

Current plan is to remove stock rear fender and turns, replace with sensible aftermarket bits, and try to protect the bodywork as much as possible. The thought of damaging such a well-cared-for bike is horrific.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:54 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I rode mine Thursday while we had a warm day, does that count. ��
Old 03-23-2019, 03:44 PM
Throbbing Member
Squid

^ yeah that is a rare find indeed! what are your plans for the young lady? preserve her honour - or make a woman of her?
I honestly don't know what to do. It's 21 years old and has never seen rain. It literally does not have a scratch on it. The paint is not faded, the thing has been garaged since new. It should be in a museum. I'm almost scared to ride it. I want to leave it stock, or as stock as it is now, but I feel like I should pull off all the factory signals and lenses and put aftermarket stuff in 'just in case'. Maybe put frame sliders all over it. I'm going to ride it home tomorrow from the PO's house, it's been snowy these last 2 days.

I really didn't have a plan, I just knew that if I ever found a clean one, I'd buy it. Well, it found me, I guess, one town over. Go figure.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:07 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
What's all the fuss about? It's only a red one.

It's really not suprising that it didn't get ridden much 'cause, you know, red.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Throbbing Member
Squid

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
What's all the fuss about? It's only a red one.

It's really not suprising that it didn't get ridden much 'cause, you know, red.
Blue was my first choice, but none local. I may travel for one at some point. My VFR is not red, at least.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:06 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by BillP
I honestly don't know what to do. It's 21 years old and has never seen rain. It literally does not have a scratch on it. The paint is not faded, the thing has been garaged since new. It should be in a museum. I'm almost scared to ride it. I want to leave it stock, or as stock as it is now, but I feel like I should pull off all the factory signals and lenses and put aftermarket stuff in 'just in case'. Maybe put frame sliders all over it. I'm going to ride it home tomorrow from the PO's house, it's been snowy these last 2 days.

I really didn't have a plan, I just knew that if I ever found a clean one, I'd buy it. Well, it found me, I guess, one town over. Go figure.
Well, whatever you decide to do, its in good hands. Enjoy! The vfr looks great too, they were on my shortlist before my new red vtr "found me" the other day too lol.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
My VFR is not red, at least.

Nice.

I suppose the red VTR is nice as well.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:21 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I bought mine with only 11000 Klms on it and intended to keep it stock.

The more I rode it, the more I did and it ended up like this.

I sense a potential member of the OCMD club.

Ride and enjoy.

Last edited by kenmoore; 09-21-2019 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:22 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
VTR Squid, No Auto Fuel Shut Off? You might want to buy a petcock rebuild kit as it appears that the diaphragm is failing. I may go from not shutting off to not flowing, at the most inopportune time. Just a thought.

Last edited by CaryDG; 03-24-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:42 AM
Throbbing Member
Squid

I'm gonna go pick her up in about an hour. First day with no snow since I bought her.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Throbbing Member
Squid

I'm gonna go pick her up in about an hour. First day with no snow since I bought her.

Well she’s home. What a great bike. Luckily, I found a tiny scratch or two, so I guess it’s ok to ride it some more. I think maybe slightly lower pegs would be a help. I’ll hit the Buell place up tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:47 PM
Squid

YoshSuperHawk is on a distinguished road
Started my SP2 rear swinger project. You have got to love the bling of the Ohlïns rear suspension

Old 04-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Superstock

CaryDG is on a distinguished road
What was involved in the SP2 swingarm change out?
Old 04-03-2019, 05:06 AM
Squid

YoshSuperHawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CaryDG
What was involved in the SP2 swingarm change out?
custom spacers for the swingarm, a custom set of linkage plates and some rc or cbr wheel with goodies. Not
too hard to change and I had it all done in under 2 hrs and that was me taking my time. Message me if you would likea list of the components I used.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Throbbing Member
Squid

Buell Pegs

These fit nicely after they're worked on for a while. I decided to go full-nuts and do them on the Bridgeport. you can't exactly just stick these in a vise, the only 2 parallel faces are those that need to be machined. Thermoset plastic to the rescue. I fit the pin hole to a 7/16" dowel held in a collet, so it was aligned with the spindle of the machine, and then bedded the peg into soft PolyDoh in a vee-block. Didn't get a good pic of this, but here's the plastic- you get the idea.

Once the plastic set, I clamped the peg into the vee-block and I could hold it in the milling vise. I had to thin the flats about .100" to fit in the peg brackets, so I took ~.050" off each one. Here's starting and finished thickness.

I needed to adjust the radius where the peg clears the bracket when it folds- I forget how much, I just copied the distance on the factory peg. I set the vee-block up on a rotary table so the pin hole was coaxial to the spindle of the mill, and then offset to cut the radius. I made a sweet vid of this which won't upload, so please to enjoy a crappy vidcap.

The pin hole needed to be bushed from 7/16" to 5/16", call it 8mm. So bush it I did, with a bushing, no less. In this pic you can (sorta) see that I milled the inside corner of the flat with a ball-end or round-nosed milling cutter, so as to (hopefully) eliminate stress risers that would weaken the part.

A little bit of hand-filing on the stop ears that determine the angle of the peg, and we're good to go. They look great and feel even better.

Last edited by BillP; 04-03-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-03-2019, 03:15 PM
Superstock

YMRacing is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Started the DucHunter up...suited up, ATGATT, and was going to take a spin. Pulled in the clutch way too easily. Looked at the fluid level...empty. Looked at the floor, my new epoxy floor btw...and the brake fluid had made a big stain. Ordered a clutch slave cylinder rebuild kit, and called the flooring ppl to repair my floor...Ended up riding the TransAlp.grrr.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:11 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Looked at it

Looked at it reeeeeealllllly hard and got pissed that my no work Sunday rule got violated with an all day dog microchippping appointments and no personal bike time was done.

sunday is supposed to be internal personal bikes only.......
so here it is on the lift still I’m the same condition it was in last Sunday

Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Squid

How many dogs did you end up microchipping?
Old 04-09-2019, 07:36 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
A sad day, the SH was sold today and left for its new home in Indiana

New owner is a nice young girl who really likes the beast, I hope she takes as good of care of the bike like I did. Godspeed to the bike and Meghan the new owner.

And there she goes...
Old 04-10-2019, 06:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

How many dogs did you end up microchipping?
6, and scanned 3 lost ones, 2 of which had chips and updated info, so got to be reunited with owners that day, the third not so lucky...
Old 04-10-2019, 06:12 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RickB
A sad day, the SH was sold today and left for its new home in Indiana

New owner is a nice young girl who really likes the beast, I hope she takes as good of care of the bike like I did. Godspeed to the bike and Meghan the new owner.

And there she goes...
I hope you gave Megan an official invite and link to the page, I mean we can infect a lady with OCMD as well as any guy.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?