General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

What did you do with your SuperHawk today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:05 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Been sitting on parts to do changes and maintenance on the front brakes. Replace the twin front brake lines with a one into two custom made by Speigler. While the bike is down I planned to rebuild the front calipers. O-rings and joint seals standing by. Get the right caliper disassembled, l (looked new inside) cleaned, start to install new parts and find that o-rings for the larger piston are too small. WTF! Go to the parts diagram, yup right part number. Measure the piston, there's the problem. I don't have 954 calipers.
Ebay burned again. Thought I was buying 954 calipers, was sent 929 calipers. Old o-rings back in the large hole. Button everything up. Bleed system, all is good. Test ride confirms.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:40 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
Been sitting on parts to do changes and maintenance on the front brakes. Replace the twin front brake lines with a one into two custom made by Speigler. While the bike is down I planned to rebuild the front calipers. O-rings and joint seals standing by. Get the right caliper disassembled, l (looked new inside) cleaned, start to install new parts and find that o-rings for the larger piston are too small. WTF! Go to the parts diagram, yup right part number. Measure the piston, there's the problem. I don't have 954 calipers.
Ebay burned again. Thought I was buying 954 calipers, was sent 929 calipers. Old o-rings back in the large hole. Button everything up. Bleed system, all is good. Test ride confirms.
Curious, I prefer the dual lines. Why go 1 into 2?
Old 06-17-2018, 02:44 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Wolverine
Curious, I prefer the dual lines. Why go 1 into 2?
Simply I like the cleaner look of one line. Also a bigger issue was the dual setup was hitting the dash at full lock because of the new bars and forks. Nothing bad, just not to my liking.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Squid

PT Matt2 is on a distinguished road
Busy couple of days. Changed out both stock auto Cam Chain Tensioners. Did the zip ties so there is no way for the chain to skip teeth when tension is released. APE CCTs with Cometic gaskets. Thanks for the write ups and tips in the Knowledge Base section!!!

While I have the carbs out I got some new vacuum hose and replaced the section that tied in with the PAIR using a T, no more T and need to block it off. Changed the other side too. Why not. Ordered new fuel lines, vent lines. one of the fuel lines came in, waiting on it and the vent lines.

Did the TPS fix while I have the carbs off. Didn't have to slot the heads with a Dremmel tool, just used a small punch and they turned right out fairly easily.

I live in Florida, never plan on riding in a cold environment. Do I need the heater hose going through the carbs? Have read pros and cons for this. Any of you guys get rid of it?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 PM
Squid

Got some tasty bits from Jack Frost. No more stupid plastic carb choke bits to break if you look at them wrong!!
Old 06-21-2018, 09:15 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Took the bike out for a ride today, after it's been sitting for a month at list, that happens when you have too many bikes... I still love that VTR the most, something about it makes it really special, kinda like a really special woman that left you with a taste of more... You know what I mean ;-)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:56 AM
Squid

Still waiting on some back ordered parts to get it buttoned up. Went ahead and changed to the Galfer Wave rotor I've been waiting to install, and changed out some rusty bits with the chain adjusters and axle nut.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:44 AM
SuperBike

After a very long time I finally got around to repacking the new cans for the Akrapovic system. Now that the cans are ready I think I'll put the headers on today.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:06 AM
Squid

jjansenrs is on a distinguished road
Rode my first track day ever on monday @ Road America! The bike ran like crap the whole time unfortunately though. It was smooth but lacking in power up top. I pulled the carbs apart today for the first time in seven years and found my problem. The vacuum piston boot was split on the front cylinder. Honda is real proud of those too. $100 bucks a piece! Ordered two since the rear wasn't in the greatest of shape either.

Even with the problems I was having I was pretty dominant in the novice class. Will definitely be moving up a class next time. Will post pictures soon!
Old 07-16-2018, 11:44 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Hey guys.
I had something crazy happen. So the prereq is I must thank Mike for his carb setup thread. I had to refrence it after developing a cough and power loss due to a dirty jet.
Anywho I am part of a racing group ( Cars) and I am on the bike due to my cars engine being out while I modify it. The short is I finaly rode the bike to its potential with the tires I have now.
But after it was all done it was 5am and I really wanted to go home but my friends were taking forever and they had my camera. Well Just as I started the bike I saw a red storm with carbonfiber slipons and billet everything with a pack on the tank go by. My friends went one way I went after the storm. He took off at first and so would I for that matter. but he finally went to the left lane and I got up next to him and pointed at the bike and then at mine. He stopped and I asked where he was from. An old timer from my same city going out for a tour. We bumped fists and I raced my friends GTR ( Not a chacnce for him.) but it was all good fun and I have been wanting to tell you guys I actually saw a superhawk in the fastest color all day!!!
Also again thanks for all the help with the bike when I got it and went through the cct ordeal the hard way.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:55 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
There is only one other Superhawk that I know of in the Pensacola area.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:37 PM
Superstock

I was so happy to see one and in much better condition than mine. Speaking of which I gotta check my timing. if its not out I need to check my valve clearance. It pops on the front where I replaced my valves I either messed up timing or the valve I ground too far needs a bigger shim.
Paint is in this bikes very near future.

Also Floyd, is it the fastest color?
Old 07-17-2018, 07:16 AM
Back Marker

storm_rider is on a distinguished road
Checked carb synch. Been a while since I last did this. Checked out ok. Tank and air box removed previously to install vacuum connections. Facilitates the procedure for next time.

Time warp. Purchased this bike new 19 years ago. Time flies.

Last edited by storm_rider; 07-17-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:28 AM
Superstock

Yeah I synched em... On a nice set kind of like yours. Its probably timing as its out the carb and its usually a strong fart.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Did a track day, but with my other bike GSXS1000, it was a blast, next time I have to take the VTR!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:11 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Bloody cold here in Oz and the bones are creaking at -4 !

Went for a ride the other week with a couple of mates on all but knackered Diablos, interesting how the bike changes as the tyres wear.

It was good fun but now its too cold to ride, we are finally having a proper winter.

Time for some maintenance and mods.

Cheers for now !
Old 07-25-2018, 05:25 PM
Back Marker

Floyd is on a distinguished road
It was about 35c here today lol. About 40c with heat index
Old 08-13-2018, 05:22 AM
Permanent Student
Squid

2.5i is on a distinguished road
Rode to another meet and saw the cool red superhawk I’d spotted before... incidentally it’s for sale now. Turns out the swinger is actually a Moriwaki unit.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...orm/1374864179
Old 09-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Permanent Student
Squid

2.5i is on a distinguished road
Took off exhaust to give it a thorough cleaning. In the process discovered that the bike had been down on the right side, causing a small crack in the exhaust. Checked my stock pegs that were for sale and discovered the right is actually bent.

Taking this thing to a friend to get welded after some wire wheel sessions.

Old 09-29-2018, 04:15 PM
Squid

EJamesJr is on a distinguished road
FINALLY got to put some miles (120) on this amazing machine. Prior to today, I had only logged about 20 miles. I literally purchased the bike a few months ago about 5 miles from my house, rode it home, and took it apart. Following all of the maintenance and reassembly, I took one short ride and hurt my neck (not bike related) and the bike has sat. It was making me crazy. Feeling better, so I took it on all my favorite backroads. Absolutely loved it. The torque and sound are intoxicating! The handling and responsiveness are fantastic. It’s also a head-turner in parking lots with that thumping v twin.
I found the riding position and seat to be very good along with the good wind protection provided by the shield. My previous bike was a Yamaha FJR 1300 so I was interested in seeing how I would do a little more tucked in. At 52 years old, it was just fine.
The only thing I really missed was power to my cell phone. I will be adding a hidden usb outlet in the near future.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:22 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Track prep and loaded it. Ready for Monday!

Old 09-29-2018, 05:28 PM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Amazon Amazon

This is a device I like to charge my phone while riding. Battery Tender makes it. It plugs into the leads that stay on my bike from the Battery Tender itself. At $11.53 on Amazon it's a quick and cheap way to power up your electronic devices.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:07 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Why not just put 12 volts on the triple where it is accessible while you are riding? You can use your phone or not. You can use the gps on your phone and Bluetooth it to your helmet.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:18 PM
Squid

I’ve added one of these to all my bikes and I just love it. It’s marine grade for boating so it works great on bikes. I am going to locate it on the inside left fairing on the black inner panel so it will not be visible when not in use. I already have the unit and wire w/ tender connector to plug it into the battery tender connecter pigtail while riding (same idea as the part recommended by NH-Raptor). Will post up a pic when done.

Old 09-30-2018, 07:21 PM
Squid

This is how it looked on my 2014 FJR 1300

Old 10-01-2018, 04:30 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Here in Oz it's a holiday long weekend and we have a crazy law that if you speed or break the traffic laws you fine is doubled and so are the points taken from your license.

It was such a glorious day that I decided to ride the 300 K's to work and back on the VTR.

Sometimes a ride is not all about the speed rather more about the surroundings. I was a good boy today and observed all the rules (most of the time)and the funny thing is that I got the best mileage in ages.
200 K's before the light came on and then "limped " another 30 K's to home .

A great day out on the VTR .

Made it and really enjoyed the ride even if most of it was in 5th gear !

Old 12-15-2018, 03:27 AM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
I did this...

Old 12-15-2018, 03:35 AM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
That's it, it's finally apart to the frame for the second time.

Basically the PO neglected it, beat it, put it away wet, dropped it, rigged it, then abandoned it. Now I have it and each winter it gets a little better. Everyone already knows about the head porting so I'll skip over that. This winter, it gets a very thorough inspection, so far:

Overall pretty good, mostly because I've had it for a year and maintained it well.

New Chain and sprockets
Rear wheel bearings too, I had to literally hammer out the axel. OEM bearings, not too bad but certainly time to go.
Manual CCT's
4.5 LB flywheel
Valve adjust
Next size down main jets, 1 clip up on needles. 1 filled hole on front slide.
Superbright H4
Fork oil and seals
Brake and clutch fluid (again)
Brake Pads
Oil n Filter
Carb Sink
Repair swingarm tab for chain guard
Straighten sub frame

Clean Clean Clean! This thing is nasty, grime everywhere.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
I finally plopped in a new batt today. Bike has been sitting for 6 mos yet it fired right up and ran like new. I run 100LL from the airport in my carbed machines and it doesn't turn to jello like that ethanol crap we have here. No real gas anywhere around.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:46 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Jealous of your good gas, the stuff around here is garbage.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your SuperHawk today?