SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Well, sure couldn't ride today.. (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/well-sure-couldnt-ride-today-33738/)

smokinjoe73 01-23-2016 09:37 PM

Well, sure couldn't ride today..

Man, I just got my new winter riding gloves and then this little blizzard thing hits.

Worst storm I've seen since I moved away from Buffalo.

Cars on my street are buried over the roofs.

Over 5 hours of snow removal and most of it blew right back in place.

A sad day for motorcycling. May be Tuesday before I can ride again.......

NZSpokes 01-24-2016 12:54 AM

We couldnt ride either. To hot. Lots of reports the tar in the roads was melting.

NHSH 01-24-2016 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 393079)
We couldnt ride either. To hot. Lots of reports the tar in the roads was melting.

Other extreme mate, I'll take it any time instead of the cold!
Cheers

Big_Jim59 01-28-2016 07:58 PM

It was 47 degrees but the skies were clear so I got the bike out and rode to see my dad. It was cool but I had my electric gear so it was fine. I took a back county road from Whitewright to Sherman and it makes for a fun little ride. It warmed up into the upper 50 so it was all good. I even saw a few Harley riders out. Even in the dead of winter Texas gives us some good riding days. I would rather ride in the cold than in the boiling hot.

smokinjoe73 01-28-2016 08:27 PM

Hehe, Jim, glad you boys are riding in Te-has, but man, that is warm. My cutoff point for summer gloves is 50* so you were in pretty balmy weather.

Great that you southern folk like pretend its winter down there too.

VTR1000F 01-28-2016 08:34 PM

Wow, what a bunch of fair-weather riders. We had an ice storm overnight followed by white-out conditions this morning. I took a circuitous route to work, doing the whole 47 miles on the rear tire because, fuck ice. It grew steadily colder throughout the day reaching an afternoon drive-time temp of 9 with wind chill of -27, so I made the evening commute sans apparel. That's right, bare-assed nekkid because, screw you cold. I stopped half-way home and built a snowman and perched it on the pillion because I like snowmen. Ice pellets are ringing on the window as I type this, so I'm planning on doing the whole thing again tomorrow. That is, if I can fit a snowman AND my giant balls on the sadle.

Wolverine 01-29-2016 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 393195)
I took a circuitous route to work, doing the whole 47 miles on the rear tire because, fuck ice.

Never changed to seasonal tires either right?
http://paulabrown.net/facepalm-text-emoticon-27.png

VTR1000F 01-29-2016 09:59 AM

Being awesome is always in season.

Cadbury64 01-29-2016 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 393079)

Yeah I hate that crap! What is wrong with our local road builders that they can't make a road that copes with 30C? God help us all when global warming kicks in properly!

smokinjoe73 01-29-2016 11:47 AM

Hmm, yeah, that crazy 1 degree per 400yrs. Look out for that.

ren 01-29-2016 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 393207)
Hmm, yeah, that crazy 1 degree per 400yrs. Look out for that.

According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade.

(not trying to start anything, just a scientist interested in science things nothing to see here!)

Where I live unfortunately could very well have all my roads underwater in my lifetime..

VTR1000F 01-29-2016 02:51 PM

Here we go...

NHSH 01-29-2016 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by ren (Post 393210)
According to an ongoing temperature analysis conducted by scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS), the average global temperature on Earth has increased by about 0.8° Celsius (1.4° Fahrenheit) since 1880. Two-thirds of the warming has occurred since 1975, at a rate of roughly 0.15-0.20°C per decade.

(not trying to start anything, just a scientist interested in science things nothing to see here!)

Where I live unfortunately could very well have all my roads underwater in my lifetime..

I don't think you have to worry about roads under water... Unless there is a giant earthquake and LA will sink in to the pacific, more like movie scenario, instead I would worry more how to fill up lake mead, where you get all the water from, did you see how low it is now? Or create a different alternative like sea water desalination, instead of robing the only natural water supply to the region.

NHSH 01-29-2016 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by VTR1000F (Post 393213)
Here we go...

Hey, you just hit the 1000 posts mark VTR1000F :D:evillaugh:

ren 01-29-2016 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by NHSH (Post 393221)
I don't think you have to worry about roads under water... Unless there is a giant earthquake and LA will sink in to the pacific, more like movie scenario, instead I would worry more how to fill up lake mid, where you get all the water from, did you see how low it is now? Or create a different alternative like sea water desalination, instead of robing the only natural water supply to the region.

I was looking at quality research just the other day on turning CO2 gas into methane for energy use so hopefully you're correct and there just won't ever be that issue and we got the CO2 concentration under 400ppm again

On the earthquake front we just had the 22 anniversary of the last large one LA had, and I was 5 and remember it still! Yeah that could happen sometimes at night when my buildings garage gate opens I wake up thinking it's indeed the next big one and go to run and check on the bikes

Lake Mead is a problem, just got a lot of snow and the snow pack throughout the state has gotten better, expecting 40+ inches of rain this year from El Nino but everything is loose from the drought conditions so there's going to be slides and flooding

A few desalination plants have opened and more are planned I know, that will hopefully kill off drought concerns after all this planned rainfall. Also the farmers need to find more efficient ways of watering crops like almonds etc which take up a huge proportion of water use

All in all it's no doom and gloom here from me

NZSpokes 01-29-2016 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I struggled to cope today. :D

Melting roads and sunburn.....:cool:

smokinjoe73 01-29-2016 09:45 PM

I prefer this gentleman's view on the subject

Global warming is more about big government creating a perceived threat than real science.

But yeah, we shouldn't get political on here. I'm just wondering how the planet managed to have ice ages without the help of man.

Shocking.

Cadbury64 01-29-2016 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by NZSpokes (Post 393225)
I struggled to cope today. :D

Melting roads and sunburn.....:cool:

Trying to guess where that is Spokes... top of SH16 heading for Wellsford, or SH22 heading for Glen Murray?

Sadly, too many Domestic Duties to do today so no riding. Tomorrow might be a different story! Can't complain too much as I managed a lap of Coromandel a couple of weeks back.

ren 01-29-2016 10:55 PM

Apparently quoting facts is political. Lol just merely corrected the statement on the rate of increase in temperature (aka the science) because it was off by a factor of 10 (~1 degree per the last 40 years, not 400). There's also no known reliable global temperature records back before 1880 that have any validity so not sure how anyone would even conclude that. Nothing more

NZSpokes 01-30-2016 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Cadbury64 (Post 393228)
Trying to guess where that is Spokes... top of SH16 heading for Wellsford, or SH22 heading for Glen Murray?

Sadly, too many Domestic Duties to do today so no riding. Tomorrow might be a different story! Can't complain too much as I managed a lap of Coromandel a couple of weeks back.

Lookout on 16 Mate. Good run, no cops or cars.

Just a couple of muppets on Street triples that pinned it on the straights and came to a stop on turns. They were no match for VTR power.:evillaugh:

finepooch 01-30-2016 06:21 AM

back to the weather affecting riding. i have not ridden since october and even then i froze my nuts off. i won't be riding until april, and yes, i will free my nuts off then too. the maritime provinces of canada get about four good months of riding: june-sept. why the fock do i live in this shit hole?

finepooch 01-30-2016 06:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the current state of affairs. truth be told, it has been a very easy winter thus far

NHSH 01-30-2016 08:45 AM

It's funny how our Kiwi members go about talking riding in the most usual manner while the north pole members ranting about political issues in the same thread :):):)

Here is a good report to seriously look at Global Warming:

VTR1000F 01-30-2016 12:51 PM

I can't believe all of you global warming rejectionists want to destroy our planet and kill my children. It's nearly 50 degrees outside! In Illinois!! On January 30th!!! How much more proof do you need? When you apply your "science" to that fact, doesn't it tell you we're all going to die?

I guess I should expect as much from a bunch of gas guzzling liter bike users.

Jack Flash 01-31-2016 09:29 AM

I wonder how much money the oil companies pay these 'don't believe in global warming' gurus ? Ah well, I guess I'll go outside and enjoy the 6* it is right now, when it should be -10* normally.

VTR1000F 01-31-2016 10:03 AM

That's it. My one data point is now correlated. Global warming is no longer a theory. It's now a religion.

smokinjoe73 01-31-2016 05:06 PM

VTR, I love the planet and your children (and my own).

I just don't swallow every plate of tripe our out of control government hands me.

Think of the question in the link I put. Even if the co2 level rose, who is to say it is not moving toward optimal for the planet?

With as little recorded history as we have, why are you so sure the level of co2 was so perfect in the 70s and so wrong now?

And here is the real test. Of about 100-150 predictions of the TOP SCIENTISTS on the planet in the 80s, something like 4% of them even almost came true.

So NY being under water..... nope. Polar ice caps gone? Nope.

And if you want to see a political agenda, our esteemed president called global warming the greatest threat to the country. All while ISIS is raping, killing, torturing and decapitating thousands of innocent civilians while vowing to kill every American when they can.

That makes sense.

smokinjoe73 01-31-2016 05:08 PM

On a better note.

I LOVE THIS WINTER SO FAR.

One blizzard but I was on the bike in 4 days. Really dirty, but riding.

50*F today and 40s all week.

Please tell me how to get more of this global warming, I am loving it.

Wolverine 01-31-2016 05:11 PM

Keep not giving a chit...

VTR1000F 01-31-2016 05:38 PM

Joe has now provided a third data point. That's now three separate individuals who think it was abnormally warm one day. If you can't see the truth of global warming, I mean climate change, yeah, let's go with climate change, the truth of climate change in all this, then I'm done talking to you. You're obviously a pawn of big oil.