SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Value...Hawk with CCT failure (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/value-hawk-cct-failure-35200/)

archaicguy 12-01-2018 02:37 AM

Value...Hawk with CCT failure

What do you guys feel is a fair price for a Hawk with 14k miles that has suffered cct failure? I've had a WTB add up on Craigslist for a little while and just got this reply to the add------It is basically an all stock 2002, stock exhaust that has been hallowed out, has fallen over on it's side twice due to kickstand on soft gravel driveway. I have not seen any pics of it yet so I can't say anything about cosmetics or anything. He has it at a shop being evaluated and will decide if he is going to want them to fix it, trade it in on something or part/sell it.

On another not what kind of job, parts and cost wise would I be looking at to fix it?

Thanks

E.Marquez 12-01-2018 06:27 AM

Not enough info...
Condition of plastics, frame broken at the front fairing mount? Front faring mount bent? Which head was crashed, front or rear? Fronts are getting harder to come by..Rears can be found for $150 or so.
Was it just a light vlave crash meaning just valves, Medium crash meaning valves and head damage like broken valve guides, or a harder CCT failure and valve crash they took out head, piston rod, perhaps cylinder. Cylinder is part of the engine case, so if cylinder wall was impacted, its a weld repair and re bore, , a sleeve and bore, or what id do weld repair, bored, nikosil plated, and honed.

Same kind of answers for cost..depends on what is wrong and if you are doing any of the work vice paying someone. If paying a shop, forget about it unless you simply love the bike and want it going regardless of cost. What you will pay at shop to R&R a motor, repair (hopefully fully rebuild) a motor will exceed the cost of buying a running VTR in decent shape.

archaicguy 12-01-2018 06:46 AM

I figured I could count on you giving info. Granted I do not know what the damage really is right now but assume the worst. "valve started knocking, needs valves redone and a new cam chain because it has a lot of slack" his info. I would not assume broken fairing mount but never know.

I do all my own work, mechanical and cosmetic so other than any machining that may be needed I do it.

I'd like to pick up another Hawk at the right price and I obviously don't mind rebuilding/reworking one or I may just hold out and go for an RC51. Just comes down to timing, price and options.

E.Marquez 12-01-2018 12:19 PM

You mentioned it had fallen over twice, that was my question on broken fairings, mounts and such. If it fell over and the side of the front fairing landed on the lawnmower taking the brunt of the weight ... broken fairings, bent front and side fairing mounts are a pretty good bet.

I hate to lead you down the might be path and you find out after buying its in the Oh shit range instead... BUT you asked so.
If it was a light valve crash as is common... you could likely get away with just a used head, head gaskets, some valve shims, oil and coolant ... go from rolling it in the garage to riding it down the road in a few hours. There is a used rear head on Ebay for like $150, and I know of a motor in TX that is complete for $400 (see classified adds in this forum)

If you need a front head thats a bit tougher.....Were it me, Id buy the cheap rear head and mil, drill and tap it for use as a front head. You would have to check local costs for that to be a viable option for you.

captainchaos 12-02-2018 05:29 PM

$Maybe 500? I mean I just bought a complete minty clean title 8k mile '99 that had been sitting in a storage unit for the better part of a decade for $800. A detailing, a battery, fluids, brake pads and tires, and a carb clean and it looks almost brand new. I've bought others in the past around a grand in good shape and just needed carb cleans, odds and ends, etc... so a cosmetically flawed bike (though this one may not be too bad) with a blown engine isn't really worth much more than that whole. Barring any sentimental value (which this one has none) it's really only worth fixing if it's not a complete shithouse to begin with, you get a good deal on it, you like a project, you like Superhawks, you know where to find the parts for a fair price, and you're doing the work yourself. If you got the bike for free and brought it to someone else to repair it you'll probably still end up into it for more than it's worth. And good used engines seem to sell (as in the "sold" section on Ebay) around the $400-$600 range depending on mileage. Hope this helps.

archaicguy 12-04-2018 02:36 AM

Thanks guys.....
That was my thought too Captain... 500 maybe but I haven't heard back from him yet so maybe he got a good deal trading it in.

archaicguy 12-05-2018 02:49 AM

Heard back on it, shop told him....valves won't seat on front cylinder and cam chain needs replaced.
They offered him 800 trade in. Not sure I'm into it at 800.

E.Marquez 12-05-2018 04:53 AM

If the rest of the bike is flawless, maybe $800 ... But the "Cam chain needs replaced" has me scratching my head ... How the heck did they determine that? Is it broken? In which case walk away at $800.
Is it it loose? Well ya, the CCT failed.....good let them think that helps your price point.
Is it company procedure to replace the chain anytime a valve crash has happened? Perhaps and not a bad policy for a shop.....quote the customer on a job they will ensure less come backs.

IF it is just two bent valves, IF the rest of the bike is in great condition ...tank & plastics NO defects, IF your going to do your own work and its more hobby / toy then job with expected ROI.. I'd consider $800 ...though Id ask him to do it at $700 for a friend first... Keep in mind if the shop is offering him $800 its because they have an shop employee willing to pay that amount ..or they think its a business opportunity and they can get more at auction or repairing it or parting it. ...IOW... one or more people at the shop think its worth $800

archaicguy 12-05-2018 05:22 AM

Yea they likely recommended replacing the chain just while there since it is loose.
I'm going to bet that the dealership is offering 800 trade in just to sell a new bike and likely scrap the Hawk...... Just my thoughts.

Wicky 12-05-2018 12:59 PM

The chain is likely loose due to the failed CCT not taking up the slack and it having jumped of the cam sprocket / crank, if it hasn't just skipped a tooth or three. Doesn't normally need replacing in the lifetime of the bike - but it has flailed around to get damaged and damaged anything else inside the engine - then you really need to think hard about the feasibilty & economics of it being a simple fixer-upper.

ACE VenTRa 12-15-2018 03:18 AM

+1,

500$ or I'd walk.