SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Trackbike: SH, CBR600RR or RC51 (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/trackbike-sh-cbr600rr-rc51-23989/)

Shawn Torpey 10-08-2010 07:50 PM

Trackbike: SH, CBR600RR or RC51

OK, I dont expect the Superhawk to win this battle, but I have one and I love it. I also love trackdays as I just did my first two at Thunderbolt NJMP and I'm fukin hooked. I want a strictly track bike and I have 3 options. #1 Get some Sharkskinz Race bodywork and track the hawk. I've had my Hawk for 6 years and it's much better than when I first got it (Penske shock, Racetech fork springs/valves, Cbr600f4i front calipers/mc, vesrahs, factory shift kit, Staintune cans, K&N filter w/Factory jetting, APE CCTs, De-paired), but I wonder if I'd be better off with a bike designed for the track. Which brings me to #2 A guy I work wit has an '05 CBR600RR w/ 4,900 miles for $3,200. I think thats to good of a deal to walk away from, but one of my favorite things on the track was just blasting out of the turns with my hawk. I don't know if the faster corner speed could beat the exit speed I get from the Hawk. #3 Theres a few good deals on RC-51s in my area. The RC51 has that torque I love and handles better than a Hawk in stock form, but is it nessecary. I mean I can afford one of these bikes, but am I going to have that much of a better track experience on either one to justify the purchase. The Superhawk is my first and only sportbike so any one with experience on either a 600 or Rc-51 I would appriciate some input to help me make the right choice. My track goals are purely enjoyment. I don't plan on ever racing, just having fun in a safe envirnment.

NooB 10-08-2010 09:28 PM

Well, I haven't ridden an RC, but I have ridden a few 600cc supersports and I've tracked my hawk. If I were you, I'd track the hawk.

1. The frame geometry is the same as an SV650, which are renowned for being good beginner track bikes, and there isn't much difference between how the superhawk and a 600 turn as far as effort goes. I've been told by a few people that the RC takes more effort to turn, and it's super stable when it's leaned over.

2. The crummy resale value of the VTR can play in your favor if you wad the VTR up. It's a lot easier to crash a bike that isn't worth a whole lot, and I'm not trying to say anything bad about your bike. It's just less financial risk. It would be a shame to wad up a nice RC or a 600 and be out 5k bucks. Good advice: don't track a bike you're not willing to bring home in a ball.

3. You already have the most important stuff done to your hawk to make it track worthy.

4. If you're after enjoyment, why not ride the bike that you know you already enjoy.

5. The RC will be hell on tires. They're heavy with lots of power. The 600 not so much, it'll be light on tire wear.

6. You won't have a better track experience on those bikes compared to the hawk. The hawk is a blast to ride fast. The motor is easier to use than the 600, and it's easier to turn than the RC.

uchi 10-09-2010 04:33 AM

good points above. if it were me id determine this by available funds. do i have the extra money to buy a track bike for 3g+ or would i rather spend several hundred on race plastics and take my chances with my street bike. if you crash a track bike, shit happens, you fix it when you can, if you do lots of street riding and crash your street bike you may be out for a couple months collecting parts and rebuilding. im tracking my street bike for now as money wont allow for a track bike. but once it does :D

Tweety 10-09-2010 05:05 AM

RC, then SH, then 600RR... But that only applies to the worked over bikes... Stock bikes it goes 600RR, RC, SH...

The RC is a heavy beast on track in stock form... Yeah, it's got the grunt, but it's also been in the cookie yar a few times to often... Put it on a diet, tune the engine and set it up for track and it's a blast though... But it's not cheap or even "cost effective"... Or sane...

The 600RR's is more track ready as it is, just a bit of tweaks for not that much money and it's fun... But not my cup of tea... And it's seem from your description, not yours either...

Shawn Torpey 10-09-2010 07:24 AM

I really had a blast on the Hawk at the track and the only complaint I had was the brakes just didn't feel like they wanted to stop the bike. Well that was before the f4i upgrade with Vesrah pads. I just finished that this week and that is one hell of an upgrade. Bike stops on a dime. I think I'm stickin with the Hawk. A set of race plastics and maybe some rearsets and it's done...... for now!

NooB 10-09-2010 07:36 AM

How about some pics of this proposed track Hawk? Actually, speaking of Hawk track bikes, budman had a nice one for sale. Here's the thread: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=21943

Don't know if it sold on ebay though.

Shawn Torpey 10-09-2010 02:18 PM

Fresh pics

4 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by NooB (Post 283727)
How about some pics of this proposed track Hawk?

Here ya go!

NooB 10-09-2010 03:38 PM

Very nice!

slabm7 10-09-2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 283713)
RC, then SH, then 600RR... But that only applies to the worked over bikes... Stock bikes it goes 600RR, RC, SH...

The RC is a heavy beast on track in stock form... Yeah, it's got the grunt, but it's also been in the cookie yar a few times to often... Put it on a diet, tune the engine and set it up for track and it's a blast though... But it's not cheap or even "cost effective"... Or sane...

The 600RR's is more track ready as it is, just a bit of tweaks for not that much money and it's fun... But not my cup of tea... And it's seem from your description, not yours either...

I second Tweety, the CBR is going to feel lighter in corners, not tire you out as much and if you have the extra funds to run a track bike I would go with it. I've been trying to convince the wife to let me get a 600 track bike for months now, no luck yet but I think I am breaking her down!

Tweety 10-09-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by slabm7 (Post 283782)
I second Tweety, the CBR is going to feel lighter in corners, not tire you out as much and if you have the extra funds to run a track bike I would go with it. I've been trying to convince the wife to let me get a 600 track bike for months now, no luck yet but I think I am breaking her down!

It should probably be noted though that I'm still making do at track days with my not-so-stock SH that is also my daily driver, and building a RC trackbike (when i get my ass in gear) and have no plans what-so-ever to acquire any 600cc bike in the near future... I have enough bikes to play with...

falcondrvr 10-09-2010 05:36 PM

Your Hawk is way too nice to put on the track. I've got the same situation as you in that I've put a lot into it and it is such a great street-sport bike that I can't imagine throwing it down on a track... as much as I'd love to get it out there.

You want my advise? Got to the WERA forum(great source for used race bikes) and find a track-whore Ninja EX500 for $1500 then go flog the crap out of it. One day you MAY even get to the point where you can ride that bike to its limit.