SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Ti or not Ti (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/ti-not-ti-27603/)

HRCA#1 02-21-2012 09:35 AM

Ti or not Ti

I have a set of highmount midpipes that I purchased via Craigslist as Titanium. They are very light and not magnetic, but lo and behold nither are the high mount midpipes that are already on my bike.

Not thinking anything of other than great I'll just sell these and agreed to do so to a fellow member. He in doing his due diligence advised me that not being magnetic doesn't mean that they are Ti. Apparently some stainless is not magnetic either.

To add to the confusion the PO said they were Jardine which the other member called and they said no. So now I'm as curious as he is, are they or aren't they!

So let's muddy the waters. If you know a way to tell let me know!

If you have a known system (up mount) please grab a magnet and check your midpipes and let us all know. I've never sold anything on the forum and I don't want to take money for something they're not!

Wicky 02-21-2012 09:47 AM

OEM Honda midpipes - Non-magnetic

Moriwaki Zero mid-pipes (Ti Can) - Non-magnetic

Partsman 02-21-2012 09:48 AM

Picture

How about a few pics....Maybe someone could narrow down the manufacturer......

Originally Posted by HRCA#1 (Post 325452)
I have a set of highmount midpipes that I purchased via Craigslist as Titanium. They are very light and not magnetic, but lo and behold nither are the high mount midpipes that are already on my bike.

Not thinking anything of other than great I'll just sell these and agreed to do so to a fellow member. He in doing his due diligence advised me that not being magnetic doesn't mean that they are Ti. Apparently some stainless is not magnetic either.

To add to the confusion the PO said they were Jardine which the other member called and they said no. So now I'm as curious as he is, are they or aren't they!

So let's muddy the waters. If you know a way to tell let me know!

If you have a known system (up mount) please grab a magnet and check your midpipes and let us all know. I've never sold anything on the forum and I don't want to take money for something they're not!

HRCA#1 02-21-2012 12:55 PM

These are for spring mounted cans as are the midpipes on my bike, I'll try to post photos later when I figure out how to on this forum.

MC Leather 02-21-2012 01:02 PM

Post a picture of the welds on the back of the sleeve.

1971allchaos 02-21-2012 08:54 PM

I gonna suggest -PICTURES ! ! for a vote of three... Akrapovic, Yoshimura, Sato all use the springs to "REtain" there exhaust cans in place.. Yet- I doubt Sato made High Mounts for the S-hawk.. And unless VERY rare-Akrapovic, Yoshimura.. But probably-NOPE...
Two Bitches, and D&D(deaf & dumb) Yet being none of these two manufactors use the straps.. Rules them out..
Jardine would probably be you best bet...
OOpps -almost forgot.. Don't recall Moriwaki (which use the retainer springs) offering slip-ons/High mounts to the public-"For the S-hawk"..

spladle160 02-22-2012 03:19 PM

my vot is for take them off and hold them. It should be painfully obvious if they are Ti or SS. Ti is freakishly light and will not corrode even when pasivated 316 will.

7moore7 02-22-2012 04:00 PM

Try to sell them. People will pay a lot more for ti parts. I bet if they're really ti mikster will smell it out and buy them within a day!

rocker4488 02-22-2012 05:40 PM

weight difference is one tell tale sign but is also based on thickness of the pipe...; the color of the pipe or presence of corrosion is another sign as well. if still unsure, find an inconspicuous spot and try and make a really small scratch, steel and titanium scratches are very different in color (steel becomes much more silver while titanium stays its general color). you can find visuals online probably.

HRCA#1 02-22-2012 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by spladle160 (Post 325600)
my vot is for take them off and hold them. It should be painfully obvious if they are Ti or SS. Ti is freakishly light and will not corrode even when pasivated 316 will.

After doing alot of Google and other forum searches I've come to the conclusion that these are not Ti just a high grade stainless. Their color looks Ti but they are not freakeshly light weighing in at 21.5 oz rt pipe and 23.5 lft pipe. I would have suspected 1/3 of that, however my arms are not scales I had to buy one to weigh them..

So at this point I just need to find out what they are worth and go from there. Thanks for all the feedback.

102dals 02-22-2012 08:50 PM

Stainless is good, maybe not as light as Ti, but good. Supertrapps/Staintune/MVR pipes, all stainless and way lighter than stockers in most cases. They don't corrode easily and discolor pretty nicely. Unless you paid buckets...talk to the seller? I actually like stainless, much easier to work on, lower prices.