SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Thoughts on SuperHawk Sale (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/thoughts-superhawk-sale-35110/)

AlanS 09-05-2018 06:29 PM

Thoughts on SuperHawk Sale

I'm retiring in 4 years. Meanwhile, I've decided to move to a nearby rural area versus living on in the tract home I currently occupy. I'm all-in on the move. It's the priority in my life right now. Needless to say, my SuperHawk represents a bit of a 'hostage to fate'. Some of the homes I'm looking at don't have garages; I need to do some fix-up to my current place to make it more attractive (better sales price); I ride the SH about once a month (I have another bike I ride almost daily). Long-story/short is, I could use the funds from the Super Hawk to advance my dreams. So that's the backdrop to this discussion...

My bike is a 2003 w/ 25.3K miles, blue. It has a Moriwaki swing-arm, GaleSpeed forged aluminum wheels, Progressive fork springs (.95KG), Daughtry reworked shock, lightened flywheel (to Mori specs), EM R/R kit, manual CCTs, LifePO4 battery, recently tuned carbs (any related component that was suspect replaced), Givi V46 removable top-box with color-matching cover, adjustable AGC levers, steel brake lines, 954RR front calipers, Coerce fork brace ,Scott steering damper, Two Brothers low exhausts, etc. All the upgrades are new, or near new.

My question is, how much do you figure I can increase my net, selling the bike as is, versus removing most/all the 'goodies' and selling them separately?

Thanks for your help. And don't get me wrong. I LOVE my bike. But all things considered, I have other priorities now.

Alan

turbotimm 09-06-2018 08:06 AM

I'd say the bike would sell for $3000 as is or $2500 returned to stock. Adding mods to these bikes really doesn't add that much value to them. Given the upgrades you have, your sitting on around an extra $1000-$1200 or so selling them separate. If I were you, I'd return to stock and sell the goodies separately but that would be a lot of work to gain only $500-$750 in the end. Just my opinion. I could be a little on the low side of my estimate as I don't know exactly how much the swing arm would bring. Hit me up if you sell the exhaust. Mines too quiet. Good luck, Tim

fabiostar 09-06-2018 12:20 PM

i dont mean to sound like a vulture but have you any pictures of the swingarm??

AlanS 09-06-2018 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
turbotimm, check out the classifieds here. I recall seeing a Yoshi exhaust. As for mine, I'll keep you in mind, but unlikely to part the bike out. As for the prices you reference, those are in the ballpark I'm sure. As noted often on this site and elsewhere, these bikes don't bring a premium.

Vultures are welcome. As long as they bring cash, fabiostar. LOL. I posted a pic, hopefully you can see the swingarm well enough. I don't have any pictures dedicated to it.

Alan

captainchaos 09-06-2018 05:38 PM

Myself personally I would return it about as close to stock as I could and sell the bits separately. I would at least sell stuff like the wheels and the swingarm separate. I'm sure they're worth a fair amount on their own and unfortunately add about zero value to the bike as a whole when you try and sell it. They will probably make it a quicker sale to the right person (like someone on here who knows, wants and appreciates what they're getting) but you'll make out better selling the bike as close to stock as you can. That'll also allow you to drop the price and sell it quicker. I've probably owned about 15 of these things since 1999 and parted out 3 or 4 so take it for what it's worth. But I also buy and sell a fair amount of stuff here and on ebay and craigslist so it's not a big deal for me. A lot of people don't want to be bothered doing that. Another thing I've noticed lately is that the audience for expensive aftermarket stuff for these bikes is starting to dwindle a bit, so you may need to be a little more patient with something expensive like those wheels.

AlanS 09-07-2018 04:13 PM

captainchaos, your points are well-taken. I know you know the market. Contrary to my original thought, I figure I will end up restoring the bike to near-stock, then selling the 'tasty' bits as you suggest. I've already spoken to my friend, Mike, about doing the swaps for me. Even after I compensate him, I'll still come out ahead. It's too bad. It handles pretty well as it sits. But unless you find another SH aficionado that wants a complete bike and appreciates the upgrades, it might as well be stock for all the upgrades are worth to the asking-price.

If you were selling the Moriwaki swing-arm, what would you ask for it? Same question regarding the Gale Speed forged alum wheels? I'm not in a big hurry on anything, I just need/want to sell the bike before I move so as not to have to drag it around.

Alan

captainchaos 09-07-2018 08:15 PM

Exactly. Myself for instance, would be willing to pay more for a sweet bike like yours with a bunch of nice upgrades like that. "Oh, I forgot you like 'those things' " I was once told by a friend who owned a local bike shop. But unfortunately the average Craigslist kid may like a loud exhaust but otherwise has no idea about most of the rest of that stuff.

Regarding the wheels... I have a pair of Marchesinis I'll be selling soon, but those are off an RC51 (I had SP2 forks and swingarm on one of my bikes) and there always seems to be a demand for that stuff. I bought them used and will probably not take less than a grand for the bare wheels. They're an older 5 spoke style and I'm not certain how much they were new (probably more like 2k). What were the Galespeeds, at least $1500? I mean by the looks of your bike I'm sure they're perfect/near perfect, so someone who wants them would probably also pay a grand or so for them. But you might have to be patient for someone who wants to bling out their Superhawk and throw that kind of money at it. Might also be useful to cross reference any other bike those wheels will fit if you want to put them up for a larger audience on a place like Fleabay.

Regarding the swingarm, I have over a thousand dollars (don't ask) in the SP2 swingarm I took off my Superhawk plus what would've been a $500 polish job I did myself. Don't think I'll ever get more than a couple hundred bucks for it. The Moriwaki piece is more of a "factory" piece and it has the name, so I'd say it's worth a bit more. But there's not much reference point to compare other than what you paid for it and how quickly you want to sell it. Again more patience is going to be required. The 19L tank that shockingly hasn't sold at a very reasonable price is a very good example. A few years back people would've been fighting over that...

CaryDG 09-07-2018 11:38 PM

Alan, IF you ever decide to part it out I'd be really interest in the Mori swingarm for a decent price.

fabiostar 09-16-2018 08:41 AM

god thats a nice swingarm..

Bald Eagle 09-18-2018 07:01 PM

It belongs to me with my Moriwaki Stage II Cams.....please....pretty please....
Funny you should mention putting everything back to stock...I did that when I sold Triumph Speed Triple. People are just looking for the best deal. They would not appreciate the work and money that was put in that excellent machine.