SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   Strange problem need help (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/strange-problem-need-help-34462/)

2wheel 04-17-2017 09:09 AM

Strange problem need help

My bike dies randomly. I am just starting to learn how the electrical system works and am confused. The issue is that randomly the bike will sputter out and die. When I try and restart it there is no starter noise. Then if I wait a bit the starter will work and the bike will start but then sputter and die again. It didn't happen on my 20 minute ride yesterday but it did happen on my way to work today. It seems to only happen when warm. I was going to check my R/R but it says to check the diodes and I don't know where I can find those on the R/R. I do have a multi meter I just have issues with terminology and finding the right places to check. I'm so confused! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Wolverine 04-17-2017 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are any of your instrument cluster lights/gauges showing any signs of problems when this happens?

R/R is a know issue. I'd be a good idea to pull off the tail and have a look at the wiring going into/coming out of. I've seen plenty of scorched looking plugs and wires, which is an easy tell tale sign.

This is where it's located.
Attachment 21260

Use your meter to test voltage while the bike is @ idle, then rev it up a bit, preferably after it has warmed up a bit. You shouldn't exceed about 14.5v. Tell us what you get...

2wheel 04-17-2017 11:16 PM

I have checked the R/R and there are no burnt areas. I decided that it may be a fault with the kickstand switch so I have removed that. So far after about 20 miles all is running well. However I still suspect something with the R/R because my battery voltage is normal when the bike is off and when it is turned on, but when the bike is actually running the voltage drops to 11.9 , I have a flowchart that I am going to work through. I have cleaned the battery leads very well. This bike sat outside for 2 years not ridden so I am pretty sure alot of the wiring is coroded. Thank you very much for the reply!

8541Hawk 04-18-2017 09:14 AM

If you are only getting 11.9 vdc while running then the R\R is cooked.
You can check the voltage from the stator but I have yet to see one of those fail on a SH.

smokinjoe73 04-18-2017 04:21 PM

Yeah its time for an RR. You can use one from an R1 if you want. You can also get better plugs from eastern beaver.

Don't ride til you replace it or you will discover the joy of push starting a big v twin.

RedStormJ 04-19-2017 12:08 AM

Your more of a man than me Joe. Even in third I don't have the but to push that thing fast enough to start. I want to do a MOSFET too I thought I had one but its not the case. Everyone seems to say go to the R1

smokinjoe73 04-19-2017 03:47 AM

I did R1 since they are cheap on ebay. I bought 2 and re did the wires and plug with the waterproof eastern beaver unit.

This way I have a spare on the shelf just in case. (which has saved me)

I also put a voltmeter on the dash to lmk if anything is amiss.

I was stranded in Brooklyn under the Verrazano bridge in 100F heat with my wife on the highway so was very motivated to get off that road. Really exhausting.

E.Marquez 04-27-2017 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 401638)
Yeah its time for an RR. You can use one from an R1 if you want. You can also get better plugs from eastern beaver.

Don't ride til you replace it or you will discover the joy of push starting a big v twin.

Folks no longer need to do an Order from japan (Eastern Beaver ) to get the furukawa style connectors.
I buy them in the US from Cycle Terminal
Furukawa QLW 250

Or Corsa Technic
https://www.corsa-technic.com/catego...ategory_id=101

Withe the min purchase of Eastern Beaver , long shipping times and shipping costs, unless you need something only he has (not really a "thing" any more)
Other sources are a better deal.

smokinjoe73 04-27-2017 07:05 PM

Oh yeah, corsa. I have ordered from them. But your link doesn't bring you to the right connector. Molex is also a good supplier.

Strike my eastern beaver remark from the records.

E.Marquez 04-27-2017 08:01 PM

https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.p...ategory_id=101
https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.p...ategory_id=101

E.Marquez 04-27-2017 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 401956)
Oh yeah, corsa. I have ordered from them. But your link doesn't bring you to the right connector. Molex is also a good supplier.

Strike my eastern beaver remark from the records.

Link does it is just to the whole page of RR connectors, scroll down and you will find the right ones

kenmoore 04-28-2017 01:23 AM

My bike did much the same when I first got it.

It turned out to be a loose positive terminal on the battery !

smokinjoe73 04-28-2017 03:03 AM

The other bonus with corsa is they send you a cool sticker for you toolbox. I got all the plugs to do my cbr600rr dash swap from them or molex. Wanted to keep the ability to unplug it and go back to stock.

E.Marquez 04-28-2017 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73 (Post 401967)
The other bonus with corsa is they send you a cool sticker for you toolbox. I got all the plugs to do my cbr600rr dash swap from them or molex. Wanted to keep the ability to unplug it and go back to stock.

Corsa was a great supplier. They did not have theses connectors before April 14....
I worked with Alex Kalempa of Corsa to being them onto their supply list as i tired of ordering from Japan.
Alex went all out to source the components, knowing upfront I would only be buying a hand full a year.. THATS SERVICE.

And now we have them available to us in the US at roughly $16 a set (pay for two extra terminals, if you do you will not make a mistake and need them, if you do not, you will...If you buy just one spare you will need two...LOL)