SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   sportbike jargon,please educate me... (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/sportbike-jargon-please-educate-me-15527/)

74stingray 07-22-2008 06:24 PM

sportbike jargon,please educate me...

Ok, you wanna know anything about the A-10 aircraft, guns, chainsaws, big block chevy's , coleman lanterns and shetland sheepdogs... i am the guy to ask...

but some of this lingo has me baffled and instead of doing a bunch of searches and going bonkers, can someone please inlighten me with simple definitions of..

frame sliders

clip ons

and any other than normal words that are used....

Springbubba 07-22-2008 06:31 PM

Frame Sliders: Device you attach to your frame, one on each side. Sticks out just far enough to (hopefully) take most of the damage if you lay it down.

Clip ons = handle bars

CCT = Cam Chain Tensioner

R/R = Regulator/Rectifier

Slip-on = Exhaust Cans

What else...?

74stingray 07-22-2008 06:47 PM

I take it slip ons are different from a full exhaust?

sort of like a cat-back on a car vs. full dual exhaust kinda thing, either some or all...

clip-ons, never thought that what you'd call handlebars...

so, I'd want to order a set of VFR clip ons, if i wanted more upright handlebars...

interesting... sliders... something I might need..... so it lessons damage... I'd call them bumpers!

thanks... I know it made me sound uneducated, I just didnt know...

VTRsurfer 07-22-2008 07:46 PM

Clip-ons attach directly to the fork tubes. There are 2 of them, right and left.
The SuperHawk comes stock with clip-ons.

Handlebars are a single unit attaching above the upper triple clamp. To mount on the VTR you would need handlebar mounts.

Yes, slip-ons are like a cat back.

Springbubba 07-22-2008 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by 74stingray (Post 172888)
I take it slip ons are different from a full exhaust?

sort of like a cat-back on a car vs. full dual exhaust kinda thing, either some or all...

clip-ons, never thought that what you'd call handlebars...

so, I'd want to order a set of VFR clip ons, if i wanted more upright handlebars...

interesting... sliders... something I might need..... so it lessons damage... I'd call them bumpers!

thanks... I know it made me sound uneducated, I just didnt know...

I didn't know any of it before I joined this forum either. Welcome to the club!

Yes, slip-ons are mufflers. They are designed so you can remove the stock mufflers, and "slip-on" the new ones.

Theres more to clip-ons than meets the eye. Do some forum searches for more details. A popular upgrade for the SH are "risers". Search for that.

There are plenty more strange words you will run into. Don't be afraid to ask. :)

RK1 07-22-2008 08:13 PM

Could I mount a GAU-8/A in the bed of my '95 F150 4X4? Would I need heavier springs?;)

VTRsurfer 07-22-2008 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 172902)
Could I mount a GAU-8/A in the bed of my '95 F150 4X4? Would I need heavier springs?;)

Is that a machine gun? That would work great on California freeways.
Would it fit in the bed of an '07 Tacoma 4x4?

RK1 07-22-2008 08:23 PM

Is it a machine gun? You could say that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGTJ8TBdccY

VTRsurfer 07-22-2008 09:03 PM

WOW! What caliber is that thing.

Sure looks like it would take care of those aggressive Prius drivers.:gatlin:

j shizzy wizzy 07-22-2008 09:15 PM

please buy some frame sliders!! i didn't know what they were either 'till it was too late. they are worth 10x what they cost in my opinion.

welcome to the forum!!:cool:

Cleveland 07-23-2008 05:08 AM

That's the gun from the front of a "tank buster"... Sounds like a fart when they shoot it..

RCVTR 07-23-2008 05:22 AM

They are called bumpers if you screw up and tip your bike over in the garage.

Frame sliders are for when you pitch it away at 80 MPH.

Chicken strips are good with ketchup.

RCVTR 07-23-2008 05:52 AM

...and I'm not sure, but I think cages are for rats trapped in a city with no place to ride.

makeminered 07-23-2008 08:39 AM

Ha Ha chicken strips whats that ?

Syclone 07-23-2008 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by makeminered (Post 172956)
Ha Ha chicken strips whats that ?

Chicken strips

j shizzy wizzy 07-23-2008 09:06 AM

if you see another rider tapping his helmet or head looking at you, it means there's a cop ahead....so slow down.

equivalent to flashing your headlights while in a car.

74stingray 07-23-2008 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 172902)

It would be a little overkill, but I must admit, i been in traffic and had visions of "full metal Jacket"

"ha ha ha, get some, yeah yeah yeah"