SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   spark plug removal (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/spark-plug-removal-17432/)

Denverhawk 02-05-2009 08:18 AM

spark plug removal

Hey All,
A quick question, I did some work on the bike (removed pair system, installed K&N air filter, and installed de-baffled pipes) and yesterday re-installed the tank but the bike had trouble starting/running. Twice it actually ran for 4-8 seconds before dying and then, with continued cranking it wouldn't start. I realize there are several possible factors and tomorrow off comes the tank again so I can double check my work but because it ran (albeit briefly) I believe it's getting gas and spark. But I still want to confirm spark, and remove and replace the spark plugs while I'm at it which leads me to my question. I have a Haynes manual and feel confident in my ability to do this, however I don't have the OEM tool kit, does any one know a suitable replacement socket/tool or do I have to buy a OEM tool or kit to remove the spark plugs?
I'm working under the assumption that the air/fuel mixture is off and am hoping that a look at the plugs can confirm this and maybe even tell me if it is too rich or lean but of course I'd welcome any suggestions from the forum. I have K&N Stage One Jet kit that, if my diagnosis is right, I hope will solve this but I'm nervous that the bike won't run at all. I was ready for the possibility of the motor running rougher but was surprised that it wouldn't run at all. I'd also considered the lack of back-pressure from the de-baffled pipes but while the motor needs back-pressure to run optimally it's shouldn't need it to run at all... right? Anyways, any thoughts on the whole dilemma and suggestions on the correct tool to pull the plugs would be greatly appreciated. I'm posting this, then going to work for the day but will be back online tonight. Thanks in advance!

FL02SupaHawk996 02-05-2009 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Denverhawk (Post 198907)
Hey All,
A quick question, I did some work on the bike (removed pair system, installed K&N air filter, and installed de-baffled pipes) and yesterday re-installed the tank but the bike had trouble starting/running. Twice it actually ran for 4-8 seconds before dying and then, with continued cranking it wouldn't start. I realize there are several possible factors and tomorrow off comes the tank again so I can double check my work but because it ran (albeit briefly) I believe it's getting gas and spark. But I still want to confirm spark, and remove and replace the spark plugs while I'm at it which leads me to my question. I have a Haynes manual and feel confident in my ability to do this, however I don't have the OEM tool kit, does any one know a suitable replacement socket/tool or do I have to buy a OEM tool or kit to remove the spark plugs?
I'm working under the assumption that the air/fuel mixture is off and am hoping that a look at the plugs can confirm this and maybe even tell me if it is too rich or lean but of course I'd welcome any suggestions from the forum. I have K&N Stage One Jet kit that, if my diagnosis is right, I hope will solve this but I'm nervous that the bike won't run at all. I was ready for the possibility of the motor running rougher but was surprised that it wouldn't run at all. I'd also considered the lack of back-pressure from the de-baffled pipes but while the motor needs back-pressure to run optimally it's shouldn't need it to run at all... right? Anyways, any thoughts on the whole dilemma and suggestions on the correct tool to pull the plugs would be greatly appreciated. I'm posting this, then going to work for the day but will be back online tonight. Thanks in advance!

Sounds like you got the vac hose on the wrong nipple on the fuel petcock when you put the tank back on...where do you have the tubes connected to the petcock under the tank?
RC

j shizzy wizzy 02-05-2009 09:35 AM

Denverhawk, are you the guy with the burnt orange hawk?

RK1 02-05-2009 01:14 PM

A deep 18mm socket will work on the plugs.

FL02SupaHawk996 02-05-2009 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 198945)
A deep 18mm socket will work on the plugs.

+1, just put a piece of rubber in the socket to grip the plug and pull it right out:)
RC

RK1 02-05-2009 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996 (Post 198946)
+1, just put a piece of rubber in the socket to grip the plug and pull it right out:)
RC

That's a great idea. I've been lifting them out with a pen magnet which works also.

Little_Horse 02-05-2009 01:31 PM

be aware though some 18 mm deep sockets have too big of an outside diameter and will jam in the valve cover, and then take you half an hour to pry loose... at least mine was so either find a thin walled socket or you might have to sand it down. Or maybe I am the only one with this issue in which case just ignore...also I agree it sounds like the air line to the petcock is wrong.

trinc 02-05-2009 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by cornandp (Post 198948)
be aware though some 18 mm deep sockets have too big of an outside diameter and will jam in the valve cover, and then take you half an hour to pry loose... at least mine was so either find a thin walled socket or you might have to sand it down. Or maybe I am the only one with this issue in which case just ignore...also I agree it sounds like the air line to the petcock is wrong.

a quality 18mm socket will be too large. a cheap socket set will be thinner and may work. i opted to just buy the OEM ( i think it was $10 ). i imagine you could run one on the grinder but i'm not that poor.

tim

VTRsurfer 02-05-2009 01:53 PM

Snap-on, Matco, Mac all make 18mm Spark Plug sockets. A cheaper socket will actually have a larger outside diameter, since they use cheaper steel with less hardness they make the walls thicker.

I changed my plugs this morning and made the same mistake, but found it quickly. The small vacuum hose goes on the SIDE port of the fuel valve under left rear of tank.

yamahadm250 02-05-2009 02:15 PM

double check the vacuum lines.make sure they are connected to the right places.sounds like you have the petcock vacuum crossed with another hose.

skokievtr 02-05-2009 03:25 PM

and when you remove the PAIR sys there is a vacuum hose or nipple I think you have to cap/plug, and seal the hole in the bottom of the airbox from the PAIR hose,plus flip the check valves in each valve cover and plug thehose nipples. Go to greg's new site for instruction...

motojoe 02-05-2009 04:09 PM

I just use some old cheap Honda tool kit sparkplug wrench that is deep and thin. I forget which bike it came from, but I been using it for years.

Denverhawk 02-05-2009 04:52 PM

Wow, Thanks for all the help! I'm heading out to the garage later this eavening to double check the placement of the vacume hose. it would be great if it was that simple. The plugs need to be changed either way and I need to do it myself so thanks to all for the suggestions I'll try my cheap socket set and go from there. I'm impressed with and gratefull to all the forum members, I've never participated in a forum before and now wished I had years ago! You guys rule.

drew_c14 02-05-2009 04:57 PM

I can say 99% for sure that you hooked the hoses up wrong. I had the EXACT same thing happen first time I took off my tank.

Denverhawk 02-05-2009 04:58 PM

Only one way to find out...

drew_c14 02-05-2009 05:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
this is what it should look like

Attachment 29873
front looking back

Attachment 29874
from the back

j shizzy wizzy 02-05-2009 05:03 PM

If you don't have a manual, there's one in the knowledge base section of the forum.

Denverhawk 02-06-2009 08:11 AM

... Success! It was a vacum line misplacement issue! Thanks to all!

FL02SupaHawk996 02-06-2009 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Denverhawk (Post 199138)

U are welcome:)

RK1 02-06-2009 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Denverhawk (Post 199138)

Ha! Congrats, Denver. That's almost always what it is! (been there done that)